Why don't cruiser riders wear helmets?

I havent seen any busa bandanas or anyone wearing a busa shirt. They may be out there but rare to see.
And when you cover your head with a helmet, you are not doing it to be seen. No one can tell who you are with a full face helmet, unless its someone you know that recognizes your bike

I have 2 or 3 busa shirts and I usually ride in one of them or one of the million US 129 Dragon shirts I have. I still wear all gear, the shirt is under my jacket. I never really saw it as posing more as just a riding shirt. But now if someone asks about what bike is on my shirt I will gladly show them my bike and talk all about the Busa's greatness :beerchug:

It never ceases to amaze me regarding threads such as these.....they usually turn into name calling when people choose to exercise their right to chose and it's not the general consensus, whether it's about helmets, gear, tires, etc.

And the post about not wearing a lid to help with organ donations is right on! Please, if you don't wear helmets(or even if you do wear them), please declare on your driver's license(if you have one) that you are a donor. Yes, I have even though I wear a helmet 99.9% of the time.

When you're going as slow as they do , you can just step off the bike and walk away :rofl:

here in england we have to wear crash helmits all the time which is a good thing cos with out it i would have died twice

if i i wouldnt have had my helmet on when i lost control of my f4i 5 years ago, i would not be here now, i hit the brakes turning into my subdivision goin a little fast, and they had been installing some new pipes and what not next to the sides walk, and there was dirt on the road that i didnt see cause it was late at night, the back tire locked up and and the bike turned into a sled and i hit the guardrail about 35mph is what me and my buddy behing me predicted, the front tire wedged itself under the guardrail and it shot me from the seat like a marble shot from a slingshot.

i dont remember much, but my friend told me that i flipped twice in the air and when i landed my helmet hit a stump that had been cut flush with the ground, it blew my face shield off my helmet and split the icon helmet like a ripe watermelon, i blacked out, it knocked me out cold, but it seemed i woke up really quick and jumped up adrenaline i guess

my buddy was standing there getting ready to call a ambulance, but i had pulled my helmet off and was running to my bike, i remember him hollering at me asking if i was ok, but i was on a mission to make sure my bike was ok, he ran up and grabbed me and looked at me and said do i need to call a ambulance, and i said no i just want to get my back home which was a couple blocks away, he said are you sure, look at your helmet, and thats when i looked down and seen the demolished icon helmet which im now to this day pretty sure it saved my life.
anyways he ending up pushing my bike back to my house the 1/2 mile back to my house, and i rode his 954rr behind him

the moral of this long rant is that could of happened to any kind of bike, cruiser or sport bike, i wasnt corner carving or riding wheelies i was turning into a neighborhood on a sweeping right hand turn and hit the brakes to slow down for the turn and hit some dirt and it all went downhill from there. And since then i wont even ride a mile to the gas station regardless of the kind of bike it is, cuz it can happen right outside your front door where you think your the safest cause your just goin to ride up the street, so wear a helmet it saved my life, and it could save yours

OK all done sorry for the book lol:beerchug:

I live in Pinehurst NC, and the whole town the speed limit is 35 mph with a cop sitting on every corner. They have helmet law here, so when I cruise through town on a Harley, I wear a half lid. If there was no helmet law, I would ride without a lid.

For crying out loud, if I have to fall off a bike at 45 mph and hurt myself, it is time to put a set of Pirelli's on my wheelchair and cruise on the sidewalk.

I raced bicycles since 9 years old, rode pro one year and crashed at least 4 times every season. In the old racing days we did not wear helmets, some wore only strip helmets. Only thing I ever lost was a bit of skin.

Ever watched a Rugby Union game, no helmets, no shoulder pads and they tackle worse than in football? They all grow old to talk about it with their grand kids.

On a sport bike you need ATGATT, but a cruiser is a different story. Most Harley riders never go faster than 65mph.

If we take a long trip with the Harley, wifey and I always wear all the gear, try riding 70/75 mph without a helmet, or with a 1/2 lid and see how fast that gets old, the wind just blows you to pieces. And I will agree, if a Harley rider is on the interstate without a lid, hiding behind his wimpshield, that is squidly.

I live in Pinehurst NC, and the whole town the speed limit is 35 mph with a cop sitting on every corner. They have helmet law here, so when I cruise through town on a Harley, I wear a half lid. If there was no helmet law, I would ride without a lid.

For crying out loud, if I have to fall off a bike at 45 mph and hurt myself, it is time to put a set of Pirelli's on my wheelchair and cruise on the sidewalk.

I raced bicycles since 9 years old, rode pro one year and crashed at least 4 times every season. In the old racing days we did not wear helmets, some wore only strip helmets. Only thing I ever lost was a bit of skin.

Ever watched a Rugby Union game, no helmets, no shoulder pads and they tackle worse than in football? They all grow old to talk about it with their grand kids.

On a sport bike you need ATGATT, but a cruiser is a different story. Most Harley riders never go faster than 65mph.

If we take a long trip with the Harley, wifey and I always wear all the gear, try riding 70/75 mph without a helmet, or with a 1/2 lid and see how fast that gets old, the wind just blows you to pieces. And I will agree, if a Harley rider is on the interstate without a lid, hiding behind his wimpshield, that is squidly.

I couldn't disagree with this more. Good luck with your decisions, but I guarantee you can die from your head hitting the concrete at 45mph. And you might even need pirellis on your wheelchair, since at 45mph you could easily become a vegetable.
I like how your tough guy Harley protects you more than your 'Busa though...
Good stuff..:poke:

i was stopped one day by a middle aged woman who started chatting my up about if I wear a helmet or not... well long story short, her and her husband were riding bicycles on the local paved trail that runs along the ohio river, it was damp out, muggy. she didn't have her helmet on and her front tire slid out on her and she hit her head causing an aneurysm that she almost died from. i mean come on, how fast could this older lady have been goin, huh? 5- 7 mph. I wear my lid everytime. slow or fast, highway or backway. it does save lives, but... to each their own. you can lead a horse to water..:whistle:

the moral of this long rant is that could of happened to any kind of bike, cruiser or sport bike, i wasnt corner carving or riding wheelies i was turning into a neighborhood on a sweeping right hand turn and hit the brakes to slow down for the turn and hit some dirt and it all went downhill from there. And since then i wont even ride a mile to the gas station regardless of the kind of bike it is, cuz it can happen right outside your front door where you think your the safest cause your just goin to ride up the street, so wear a helmet it saved my life, and it could save yours

OK all done sorry for the book lol:beerchug:[/QUOTE]

:clap::clap:

glad you lived to tell your tale my friend. any photos of the busted helmet by chance??

halfshell=brainbucket aka pointless fashion accessory
fullface =lifesaver aka useful fashion accessory

answer me this, does your helmet match your bike?

I cant really take a side on this argument. HOWEVER, I will say that Yes, helmets do save lives. "... a recent meta-analysis found that helmets reduce the risk of death by 42 percent and the risk of head injury by 69 percent (Liu et al. 2008)." Do I wear a helmet on the Busa, Yes because im smart. Do i wear a helmet on the harley? No because im not that smart. I know i should but whatever.
Rubber side down! Just chant that next time you throw your leg over your bike. lid'ed or not.

OK all done sorry for the book lol:beerchug:

:clap::clap:

glad you lived to tell your tale my friend. any photos of the busted helmet by chance??[/QUOTE]

no when me and my girlfriend at the time split up she took it to spite me, cuz i said i would never get rid of it :banghead::banghead: but i still live in the same area and i will take a pic of the guardrail i hit, it still has red and black paint on from the fairings and is bent under

I couldn't disagree with this more. Good luck with your decisions, but I guarantee you can die from your head hitting the concrete at 45mph. And you might even need pirellis on your wheelchair, since at 45mph you could easily become a vegetable.
I like how your tough guy Harley protects you more than your 'Busa though...
Good stuff..:poke:

Good thing we don't live in Egypt, but over here where it is OK to agree to disagree. :thumbsup:

In some ways I agree 100% with you and if anyone had to ask for advice, I would always say, "all the gear, all the time".

As far as responsibility goes, I stopped riding when my first kid was born and started again when my last kid finished college, as I owed them a father.

Getting back to real life though, there are different scenarios.

My neighbor is in his mid forties, he is overweight, has a tough time bending down to tie his shoe laces and in his shoes I would wear a space suit on the ice skating rink.

I'm older, but still fall off my Husky dirt bike at least once every 3rd ride, as it is part of the fun and part of pushing the envelope. Once I am too old to do this, I will probably sell all my bikes. Riding 45 miles an hour and hitting my head on concrete at the same 45 miles an hour impact is unlikely if not impossible. I know how to fall, cause I do it so often.:laugh:

One fact all of us has to accept, is that we ride motorcycles because part of the fun is the risk we take.

I wear a fullface Arai on my Busa, but rarely on the FXST. Why? Cause I want to. It's my life, not yours, I'm fully insured and pay the premiums. Seems like a bunch of you need to get a life. You will never see this type of thread here:

HDForums.com Harley Davidson Forums

Because basically we don't give a **** about what others do. As far as a Harley "lifestyle," I see many, many sports bike riders wobbling around the Sierra foothills in full leathers. That is just as stupid to me. and regardless of helmets, if you are terrorizing rural residents by going bat**** crazy fast on public roads, sooner or later a deer, possum, a pickup truck or some road debris is gonna kill you just as dead as some drunk old fart falling off his cruiser...

My Bikes.jpg

I wear a fullface Arai on my Busa, but rarely on the FXST. Why? Cause I want to. It's my life, not yours, I'm fully insured and pay the premiums. Seems like a bunch of you need to get a life. You will never see this type of thread here:

Because basically we don't give a **** about what others do. As far as a Harley "lifestyle," I see many, many sports bike riders wobbling around the Sierra foothills in full leathers. That is just as stupid to me. and regardless of helmets, if you are terrorizing rural residents by going bat**** crazy fast on public roads, sooner or later a deer, possum, a pickup truck or some road debris is gonna kill you just as dead as some drunk old fart falling off his cruiser...

Good points! Valid ones too! Nice bikes.....I'm with you, wear what you want and accept the decision!

You will never see this type of thread here:

Because basically we don't give a **** about what others do.

There isn't a chance to do that. Nobody could get a word in edgewise with everyone talking about why their bike doesn't run, or the fact that they are now over 100 horsepower, and all they needed to do was spend $3000 in Screamin' Eagle accessories...

:poke:

:lol:

You are obviously an idiot. Stop by HDForums sometime. That Site is filled with good folks who put far more miles on their bikes every year than you do. And that Site is W-A-Y bigger than here...

As far as horsepower, who cares? That's not important to a lot of us who have already lived through that phase of our lives. I like my Busa. I like my Harley. Both nice bikes, you don't like either, fine. I could give a ****. But you make yourself look foolish whining about stuff you know squat about. Give it a rest dude and go for a ride. That is if you got a bike...

Back