My head is on the chopping block.

If I understand it right I need 112 people to quit and then my job is safe for this go round. The cut off date for the layoff is 3/2/98 and my hire date is 4/20/98. In all rights I should be gone but with early retirements and voluntary layoffs I should be ok. They are cutting a lot of our out stations but the guys there can only fill holes left my people leaving. They can't bump someone out. Which means that if a station is closed and someone senior to me loses his position there he can't force me out and I get to keep my job. I still think that is wrong. I only have 8 years here and if someone has 20 years but their base closed they're gone. Not good for the moral. I won't know for sure what my fate is until 2/19/06. Until then I have to make up my mine what I want to do. If I do manage to stay I will be one of the bottom feeders and probably have to work midnights.
mad.gif
I will have to worry about if there is another cut, can't buy anything because of the uncertainty, continue living with my parents because as soon as I buy a new house I will get let go with my luck, deal with stress because of the not knowing what is going to happen tomorrow, and just generally hate life. But the big question is how badly do I want to quit my job and start all over from the bottom somewhere else? For the past two years work has gone down hill and yesturday I thought I was finally going to know what to do. Well so much for that I still have no idea. I really hate this. I really would like to just leave and get on with my life but I also like what I'm doing here and would hate to just walk away. It's pretty bad when you sit here and wish that they would tell you not to come back. I guess I need to set down and make a list of all the reasons why I should stay and what I would gain by leaving.
Once the final numbers come out and I know if I still have a job I will let you all know.

Sorry about the waiting game. It's gotta suck bigtime.
mad.gif

You could always use the time you have left to persue other employers. Other airlines know what's going on, and if you've got a clean record and some attaboys, then they may be willing to absorb some of the people into their organization. If you've been there for 8 years, then obviously you have a lot of skills and experience to bring to the table.

Of course, with the way most of the airlines are going, you never know how secure your next job would be either. It sucks either way.

When they closed the nuclear power plant I was working at, I was fairly new, so I had to find other employment or take a transfer to another shidhole that might close next. I was able to find a job with a pharmaceutical company, and once I got my foot in the door, I was able to transfer within from being a filling line mechanic over to being in the boiler room. This turned out to be a very good deal, but then, after 5 years of outstanding evals, and topping out on paygrade without a degree, I went in one day and by 9am, I no longer had a job.

After 9 months of unemployment, I landed a job with the government on the Naval base...back into boiler room stuff. This has allowed me to get a lot of additional training that will help me broaden my career options. Currently, I'm hoping to be selected for a supervisor training program, and my supervisors are nominating me for Federal Employee of the Year. All this, and I've only been there for 2 years.

Not trying to boast here. Just trying to let you see that even though it seems like the world is against you, sometimes things do work out for the best.

Keep you chin up
cool.gif

Good luck man,try Sykorsky and Dyncorp.,you goa a A&P right?

<!--EDIT|nitrousjunkie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138099551 -->

That really bites man!!

I'd check into other jobs, I'm sure you are, and wait until the next meeting. That way you have some time to think about what you want. You could always walk away from Delta later. Try to keep as many options as possible.

Good luck!

Thanks guys. I think I may just start looking and if I find some thing else then say see ya later to Delta. The not knowing is getting really old. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?
rock.gif

Dude it's pretty awesome up here in the Seattle area and well hell Boeing is kinda big...

I've been up there once and it was very nice. Boeing wouldn't be bad a bad thing. I may have to look into that. Thanks

There's also a Boeing facility located in the Fort Walton Beach, FL area. Wouldn't be a huge move for ya either.

<!--EDIT|flynjay
Reason for Edit: "Use spell check first next time...dumba$$."|1138199779 -->

*****UPDATE*****
Well here it is.  The axe finally fell.
Employee CAMPBELL, JAMES

Due to operational needs in your department you have been identified as an EXCESS employee.
You will be required to bid under the Subject to Displacement guidelines in the RIF Policy.

If you have any questions please contact your immediate supervisor.

Your RIF Seniority is 04/20/1998

You have a bid on record.

Current Transfer Option: INVOLUNTARY

As it stand right now if I manage to keep my job here in ATL I will be the 5th guy off the bottom in the hanger.  I don't want to be there.  I will have no choice as to where and when I work so I have put in for furlough.  My only other choice is to try to bid for some outstation and hope that they don't reduce anymore heads.  So time to throw in the towel.  So unless they don't let me leave my last day of work will be 04/01/06 and No this is not an April fools joke.  
poke.gif

I should know my final standing by 2/20/06

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139510917 -->

1.jpg

Hope it does not happen, but find out where it is being out sorced to. They are going to need help.

Hope it does not happen, but find out where it is being out sorced to.  They are going to need help.
Luck would have it that I have been in that situation once before and it's not a good place to be. I use to work for Business Express out of NH and was forced to leave. I then got a job with American Eagle (makeing $2/hr less) down in Abilene, TX only to find out that they had just signed a contract with Bus. Exp. to do their heavy maintenance. So guess who was put on the line. Yup you guessed it ME. I left every thing I had up in Maine(I lived there and drove to NH for work) took a pay cut, moved TX only to work for Bus Ex. one more time. That is what would happen if I went to one of these outsource compainies and it would be a lot more then a $2 cut in pay. Time to move back up to Maine and find something new up there. I hope.

Back