My head is on the chopping block.

jwcfbd

Administrator
Donating Member
Registered
Delta has announced that all heavy maintenance will now be outsourced.  To a aircraft mechanic this could only be a bad thing.  Tonight we will get more details but for now it just looks ugly.  Closeing down 5 dock lines means a major loss of jobs.  If I had to guess I would say somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000-1500 people if not a whole lot more.  I have 854 people below me.  So much for a secure career when you have almost 7 years with the company.  It was fun while it lasted but now it looks like it's time to move on.  We'll see what they have to say tonight and I will post an update.  Until then wish me luck.

*****UPDATE 02/09/06*****
Well here it is. It's been almost a year but The axe finally fell.
Employee CAMPBELL, JAMES

Due to operational needs in your department you have been identified as an EXCESS employee.
You will be required to bid under the Subject to Displacement guidelines in the RIF Policy.

If you have any questions please contact your immediate supervisor.

Your RIF Seniority is 04/20/1998

You have a bid on record.

Current Transfer Option: INVOLUNTARY

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139512468 -->

Hope all works out, that sucks. Everything happens for a reason, maybe this will mean something better in your future!
smile.gif

Man,
I am sorry to hear that. My dad worked for Western for 19 years before the merger, then Delta changed the retirement plan for employees who were not Delta proper. As a fellow mechanic (military) I know what can happen when they start outsourcing....I hope everything goes well for you.
Good luck.

Hopefully it will work out for the best. We'll keep our fingers crossed!

Man that really blows. Good luck Jim and lets us know how it works out.
wink.gif

They did major layoffs at my company when we filed bankkruptcy, we went from 20k to 3500k people. It was real ugly and you talk about stress for a couple of years while we were going through it...

A lot of times when they outsource, the outsourcing company picks up the local employees to do the work. I would be surprised if they are outsourcing and this company already has all the people to do the job... ;) Keep in mind what you do is technical and an outsourcing company will not risk major catastrophe by bringing in inexperienced people...

Good luck... It all works out in the end...
biggrin.gif

So much for a secure career when you have almost 7 years with the company.
Hate to break it to you, but there's no such thing as a secure career anymore (this is coming from someone who's been laid off three times.)

You have my sympathy because I know how you feel. As someone's already stated though, this should be thought of as an opportunity to find something better.

Hopefully you'll get some kind of severance deal so you have some money to tide you over - do you have union representation? (it took me 8 months to find another job that would pay my mortgage.) If not, it's recommended you have enough in savings to cover at least 3 months of bills etc.

Good luck and I hope everything turns out OK.

yup.. those companies gotta raise the money bar..

only problem is they keep cutting the heads off the people that are giving them the money.

this out sourcing is a great thing ... until nobody is left to buy the crap they are selling..

"God bless america, as long as we don't have to actually pay the americans anyway."

Good luck, I hope things work out in your favor.

Yup, I've been through it, it stinks
sad.gif

Damn jwc, I really sympathize with you. When my company, Conoco, merged with Phillips Petroleum a few years ago, I thought it was "lights out" for us, but it hasn't been ALL bad. I didn't lose my job, but the opportunities for advancement really bites! I just recently started training for another job within the company, so I guess I will hang around a little longer. Good luck, and if there is anything I can do, just let me know.

hate to hear that man.my last job packed up and moved to china so i know how you feel.they work for a tenth of what we do so you see why they left.now i always base what i spend on what the average pay is for the area incase this happens again.i refuse to let a job dictate how i live my life so now if i get pissed off i can have another job by the end of the week no prob. big corporations and the gov. suck!!!

That sucks dude. I hope you're high enough in senority to keep your job. Keep us posted!!!

I hope things all shake out in your favor. I was laid off in the dot.com bust, and after a few months of panic I was able to land on my feet with a better job, shorter commute, etc. Keep us posted.

Back