Career Advice

HRHDi

Dont Call Me "MeeMaw"
Donating Member
Registered
For the past 12 1/2 years I've worked for a national restaurant chain in F&B Purchasing. When I started in 1997 we had 9 restaurant brands - we now have 2. There have been major RIFs in February of 2008 and 2009, and there's going to be another one sometime in the next 6-8 weeks when a sale and a TSA are finished.

I've dodged the bullet (obviously) on the past 2, but I'm getting a little nervous about the upcoming RIF. After the last one, my job changed significantly and I was unofficially "demoted" to the same job I was doing 6 years ago - which I hate. If they stay true to form, I'll get about 6 months severance and the Dallas area didn't get hit as hard as far as the job market is concerned, so I'm comfortable that I'll be able to find a job before my severance runs out if I don't survive this RIF.

Here's the dilemma...

I want to do something that has a positive impact on the world. Seriously, if my company went away tomorrow, other than the unemployment, the world would never know. What are your suggestions? It doesn't have to be anything earth-shattering, like curing AIDS or anything, but something that helps the world - education, healthcare, charity, etc.

The biggest hurdle is that I don't have a degree. I'm not as smart as I think I am, but I am an intelligent person, however without a degree, I can't do things like teach or nursing or rehab. I have designed, written and conducted training at my current job, and I'm very analytical. I'm also very good at designing, documenting and implementing processes.

So, what do you all think? ???

I would like to get into educating and mentoring young people. I would love to teach but like you I dont have a degree, but a wealth of knowledge and experience that can not be measured on paper.

I believe mentoring would be a great place to start getting your feet wet on the way to changing the world (or at least your lil corner of it.)

Start hunting for that other job now. Best of luck.

Look into Business Process Improvement. Seriously, companies are ever changing and they need folks that can help with the change process and train employees how to make and handle the change. You may need a degree through, human resources or business management. I am planning to enroll in the fall to finish my degree. From what you have said, you would fit well in this role.

There are a lots of things you can do with determination and motivation. Don't let the pessimistic rhetoric of the 'doom and gloomers' capture your attention and sap your creative energies. There are lots of service oriented industries that need people with a positive outlook and a sincere desire to help others. Skills that can be applied to organizing, coordinating, delegating, fundraising, etc. are highly sought after these type of industries and given what you have listed as your applied abilities this may be an area to look into. Good luck and I hope you find something soulfully satisfying! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Near term: Really think about what drives you. If it is helping kids then see if there are local mentoring programs. The local boy’s and girl’s clubs could be a good resource. It could be working with a woman’s shelter, I have a neighbor that works for a local organization she does training and some PR work. There may be something like that in your area. The key is to discover how you want to contribute, then find your niche.

Long Term: The best advice I can give is to go back to school (even part time) and start working on getting your degree. You bring a wealth of work experience that may translate to credits but you will need to speak to a counselor. Either way I know a few people that believe their experience is more valuable than a degree but the truth is, the combination of education and experience can't be beat; especially when it comes to pay and what you bring to the table.

Something to think about...

Susan G. Komen

I'm pretty confident they have positions for staff, and facilitating something as large and important as that could be rewarding beyond imagination.

Good luck, Di.

well I can say I have had just about every job out there, I am 41 now I have driven a truck cdL and a school bus worked at a burger joint, put up fences, worked for a contractor, painted, fixed cars, sold car parts, worked at a gun store, worked in the sewer, I am sure I am forgetting something but at 33 I decided to become a correctional officer. c.o. turn key, not to hard of a process good benifits good pay job stability, and easy as hell 11 years and 7 months I retire with a 20 years in good enough for me...and when I get pulled over the police say come on man slow down ( no ticket) well 99% of the time

Last edited:
Something to think about...

Susan G. Komen

I'm pretty confident they have positions for staff, and facilitating something as large and important as that could be rewarding beyond imagination.

Good luck, Di.

Komen was a HUGE charity at our company...until our (then) CEO divorced the founder of Suan G. Komen :whistle:

This and the mentoring thing are kind of what I had in mind. None of this is a done deal, and I know I'm good at my job now. However, when one keeps dodging those bullets, it seems to get harder and harder to think luck is going to hold out.

I'm actually in a good place mentally with the whole situation. I can only control the things in my power, right? So, I do the best job I can, and hope it's enough. It just seems a little naive not to have at least some semblance of a plan.

But someone in our department got fired this week so it's at the front of everyone's mind more than usual.

Start NOW!!

If you know it is coming, it is and you want to have a job and be looking for one at the same time. It is discouraging and very hard to be looking for one and have no income. I don't know about you, but unemployment where I live would barely be enough to eat on every week.

Education has come and gone, it helps to have it, but in today's world you are not completely out the door if you don't. People like to see real world experience, so be as articulate as possible in your resume, but don't flood it with items that really don't need to be there.

Apply to some places that interest you and see what happens. It can't hurt and you will be proactive in your career. Loyalty is gone at companies, trust me, I know.

As far as education, I have plenty of it, but at the end of the day, I couldn't tell you definitively that it has done "wonders" for my career by any means. Maybe it is where I am looking, but it is what it is. Oh yea, my education is Ivy League as well, but that is how it goes.

Last edited:
Back