Debating career move

fast08busa

Professional Pilot kinda sorta
Registered
I am currently doing real estate in phoenix (well apartment locating) and I really am growing completely tired of this job. The money isn't what i thought it was going to be, im not the best people person, It's commission based which sucks. So i tell the wifey the other day i wanna look for another job (she works for the same company as i do and makes good $$$) This office job is not for me. Previously i worked as a finish carpenter for 7.5 years and wouldn't mind getting back into it but there isn't any work for it out here.

Recently i have met about 3 individuals over the course of the last 5 months who worked in Bail enforcement and said they really enjoyed what they did. Sounded interesting at first, then the more i talked to them I think it might be something i might actually enjoy doing. Granted it's very dangerous job, but it would make me feel good about taking criminals off the streets and making a decent living.

Some good family friends of ours work in corrections as guards and they say they could get me a job no problem. But then i sit back and listen to all the stories they tell and some of the stuff that goes on is absolutely nuts. Prison rape, shankings, suicides, all that good stuff. They pay is decent and the benefits are great and i think i would be good at it, but the psychological aspect im not so sure about.

I am staying home today to do some research on some jobs and see whats out there, hopefully ill find something I think i would be good at, plus make good money.

And i should go along and ask....Does anyone have any experience in these fields?

There are a few prison guards on here.

But if yer into fighting crime,why not become a sherriff or cop.

RSD.

Bail enforcement is a good gig but you front a lot of your own money trying to catch people and you got to get a lot of them to make a good living on it plus it will keep you away from your family. Prison guards make good money and its job security, if you can put up with the crap that comes along with it. I couldn't do that job, as soon as someone tossed there poop on me I would kill them and end up in a cell myself. Getting back into construction right now would not be very wise, the market is crap. I work as an estimator for a commercial construction company and work is very thin. We had to cut or work force down by 70% just to keep the doors open. Hope you find something, because if your not happy with the job you have there is no point in going. Find something that makes you happy, even if the pay is a little less.

could always go back to school... stay where you are untill you get a cert or degree or whatever...
totally different field?? how about medical field... lots goin on there...

could always go back to school... stay where you are untill you get a cert or degree or whatever...
totally different field?? how about medical field... lots goin on there...

I was thinking about going to school but i cant think of anything id wanna do and sit around 4 years to do it. Maybe criminal justice but who knows.

I would also look into police work. After a bit of time you could work your way into one of those bike cop jobs :).

I was thinking about going to school but i cant think of anything id wanna do and sit around 4 years to do it. Maybe criminal justice but who knows.

go with something that has stages- 2yr degree, then 4 yr if it really works for you...
or just get a cert, 2-yr, etc...

ECPI, the college I just started Monday, Has online courses for criminal justice I believe. They are a regionally accredited college so its a good place. Online courses seem pretty nice so far. They have multiple online majors

You shouldn't have to get a 4 yr degree for any of those entry level jobs in the criminal justice field. A 2 yr degree, if not simply having an acquaintance on the inside (which it sounds like you do), it shouldn't be a problem to get hired on as a CO. Even though they aren't supposed to discriminate in their hiring practices, if you're good sized fella, no criminal record, and a decent disposition, you'll get snatched up pretty quick.

the CO job sounds the best. Steady pay, good benefits, seems pretty legit. My friend tells me its a good job with plenty of overtime
Posted via Mobile Device

There's fear and darkness all around you The criminals are on the run No use in hiding in the dark, I'll hunt you down 'cause I'm "The Dog" I'm The Dog The big, bad Dog,,, The Bounty Hunter

Well i am scheduled to test into the Arizona Department of Corrections next monday. I think it will be a good job.

Some good family friends of ours work in corrections as guards and they say they could get me a job no problem. But then i sit back and listen to all the stories they tell and some of the stuff that goes on is absolutely nuts. Prison rape, shankings, suicides, all that good stuff. They pay is decent and the benefits are great and i think i would be good at it, but the psychological aspect im not so sure about.

Working in a prison is extremely stressful. My father was a prison officer for more than a decade and he was constantly under stress. - Sure, the money was good, but I don't think it was worth the negative impact the job had on his family. I knew a ton of prison officers and they were almost all heavy drinkers, which was their way of trying to cope with the stress. Nearly all of them ended up divorced and quite a few ended up dying of cirrhosis.
Pretty much the only people who could deal with it without becoming stressed were the ones who were bullies and sociopaths; they enjoyed the power-trip that the job gave them. (Those kind of people are the ones who join the police and give cops a bad name.)
My advice: don't do it. You will see the worst aspects of humanity on a daily basis.

Back