Sold my $380 jacket on eBay for $120!

OUTLAW1300

Registered
So I listed my ICON Daytona Stealth Leather jacket that I bought brand new for $380 (6 months ago) on eBay and when I checked the final bid offer it ended at $120! F**ck I was pissed! I have no choice but to ship it out or the bidder will leave me (-) feedback now. The jacket is brand new too, in mint condition. Out of 38 watchers only 7 people bid. If you are thinking bout selling something on eBay without a reserved price, don't do it... you'll get raped! :banghead:

Is it me or eBay is always like this? Other Icon jackets on eBay that retail less than my jacket ($380) are selling a lot higher then $120.

Icon_Daytona_Leather_Jacket_Stealth_Black_detail.jpg

yeah man you gotta do a reserve or they will get you everytime. Same thing happened to me with a pair of boots but i didnt pay for the boots so i came out on top. But it was a 120 dollar pair of boots that sold for 25 bucks lol. wont do that again.

If you didn't already post shipping charges then your only way out to recoup some of your investment is to say the shipping/handling fee and insurance is $80.00 (or whatever price you select). If they pay it great if not then great. You don't sell it and if buying gives you neg. feedback then you opoen a dispute which you will win and then move on.

I don't like advising people to do things like this but I believe you made an honest mistake. Just send the buyer an email advising due to weight, handling and shipping it'll cost this much and see what happens. Wardie (not an attorney and don't play one on TV but I did save money on Geico):laugh:

Hey guys, check out this awesome Icon jacket I got on eBay for only $120!

Just kidding man, trying to bring a bit of levity to your situation. As Goodson said, reserve pricing, gotta use it. That sucks though.

Don't try to charge me $80 for S/H all I'm sending id $120. you said that S/H was include
thx for a great deal.

:laugh::laugh:

If you didn't already post shipping charges then your only way out to recoup some of your investment is to say the shipping/handling fee and insurance is $80.00 (or whatever price you select). If they pay it great if not then great. You don't sell it and if buying gives you neg. feedback then you opoen a dispute which you will win and then move on.

I don't like advising people to do things like this but I believe you made an honest mistake. Just send the buyer an email advising due to weight, handling and shipping it'll cost this much and see what happens. Wardie (not an attorney and don't play one on TV but I did save money on Geico):laugh:

Now that's one crappy arse, sleezy way of doing business. It's an auction for goodness sake. Both the seller and the buyer enters into a legal contract. Once the deal is done and agreed to, for the seller to leverage the buyer into paying more than is agreed to is nothing more than theft.

I have been around the auction business for a very long time and the most successful auction company on earth (Ritchie Bros. Auction) has no reserves on anything. No reserve brings out lots more buyers. More buyers equals higher prices.

Personally, I never bid on anything with a reserve. Just not interested in a sale but I am interested in an auction.

If the jacket would have been a Dainese it would have brought a preimum dollar. When you buy cheap you sell cheap. Simply the nature of the beast!

Now that's one crappy arse, sleezy way of doing business. It's an auction for goodness sake. Both the seller and the buyer enters into a legal contract. Once the deal is done and agreed to, for the seller to leverage the buyer into paying more than is agreed to is nothing more than theft.

I have been around the auction business for a very long time and the most successful auction company on earth (Ritchie Bros. Auction) has no reserves on anything. No reserve brings out lots more buyers. More buyers equals higher prices.

Personally, I never bid on anything with a reserve. Just not interested in a sale but I am interested in an auction.

If the jacket would have been a Dainese it would have brought a preimum dollar. When you buy cheap you sell cheap. Simply the nature of the beast!

I agree with tuf here, to try to jack out a few bucks by claiming some BS shipping and handling charges is crap.

Not sure why others are going for more but a reserve helps in some cases and hurts in others. You might not have sold it at all if you had a reserve, but ebay is happy to take the listing fee.

Seeing both sides of the coin on this one.... IF it were my jacket I'd be kicking myself for not setting a reserve, but on the other hand I would be ticked off if a seller tried to gouge me on shipping.

Auctions typically should be the last resort for capturing a premium market. I do believe this depends on the type of market being persued, as is the case for Ritchie Bros. who, I believe, deal in large, heavy equipment and machinery and where you will attract the bigger players. Market perceptions for specialty equipment, such as motorcycles and the gear that follows the market, is generally that this market is for da playas and is a very poor place to invest for recovery but a very good place to build image. It's just that the way to obtain the image will be pretty pricey, depending on how we go about it. Tough lessen, but usually the tuition we pay for this kind of schooling moves us quicker towards graduation, that is, if we ever really want to graduate.

Auctions are a great place for buyers and sellers to come together. It's a place where an item will generally always sell and whatever a willing buyer will pay is what the item is actually worth. That's the case with anything for sale. It's only worth what a buyer is willing to pay.

Auctions are a place where buyers generally go looking for bargains. If you want retail for an item, the auction is risky business. However, I have seen on many occasions an item auctioned reaching prices which exceed what it could be purchased new from a dealer. It only takes two determined buyers to make an auction bring serious money!

I have that same exact jacket and Kris has one in blk/yel/wht- feel your pain, don't think I'd let mine go for that and it's 3years old

ebay lets you set a reserve... I have found ebay does provide a pretty good market value for 95% of the stuff I have sold.. I bought and AGV Busa jacket (black) size 50 for $90 and $15 shipping and resold it for $225.. Just need to CYA on reserves is all..

So I listed my ICON Daytona Stealth Leather jacket that I bought brand new for $380 (6 months ago) on eBay and when I checked the final bid offer it ended at $120! F**ck I was pissed! I have no choice but to ship it out or the bidder will leave me (-) feedback now. The jacket is brand new too, in mint condition. Out of 38 watchers only 7 people bid. If you are thinking bout selling something on eBay without a reserved price, don't do it... you'll get raped! :banghead:

Is it me or eBay is always like this? Other Icon jackets on eBay that retail less than my jacket ($380) are selling a lot higher then $120.

It's your mistake and a tough lesson learned...sorry man, but box it up and send it out :rulez:

hate starting price auctions too... most guys have pie in the sky expectations of what their junk is worth..

agreed, but if price is reasonable I`d bid on it.

$120 for this jacket is very low though... it should be in $200 range and still a great deal.

Back