Teaching job, neck on chopping block

:laugh: The principal seemed like he had more important things to do when I handed him my letter. He was walking away as I was telling him that I hoped things would go other than i expected them to. The superintendent said, "are you sure?" I expect the school board will gladly accept my resignation.
The principal sounds like a goof to me...

The principal sounds like a goof to me...
The soon to be ex has been teaching over a dozen years now, and at 3 different schools.
Anytime there's a problem teacher...they just promote them...eventually they make principal...then on to the school board.
If you can't do your job...you get promoted...let you be someone else's problem, and not have to take the heat for firing them...it's the American way!

The soon to be ex has been teaching over a dozen years now, and at 3 different schools.
Anytime there's a problem teacher...they just promote them...eventually they make principal...then on to the school board.
If you can't do your job...you get promoted...let you be someone else's problem, and not have to take the heat for firing them...it's the American way!
Nothing that a light throat punch wouldn't take care of....

IDK what to think there. He seems ok but really, he's a puppet. He will do what he has to do to keep his job and I sure don't have much to do with that. The principal would probably rather be somewhere else too.

OK, I think I finally understand what the hell an NFT is.

Very simply, an NFT is a work of art in digital format. People buy and sell the digital art with cryptocurrency like traditional art is bought and sold with real money. Old game, new twist. Do any of us know anyone who has ever bought an NFT? Do any of us know anyone who has ever bought a piece of original fine art of any kind? No harm in putting your creations up for sale as an NFT but I'd put my effort into work that has a commercial application. Not that an NFT couldn't satisfy the needs of a commercial application, just people with commercial art needs often have a lot of specific input they want to have addressed by the artist.

Back in the 90s, there was still work for "illustrators" ...people who made custom art images for commercial application. Then somewhere around '95, illustrators started making images speculatively and selling the use of those images inexpensively to any number of people. The illustrator would think about what kind of image would work well for a specific application and then set to creating that image with the hopes that a lot of people would find it useful. Stock illustration, it was called. You pay fifty bucks, you get ALL rights a digital file of an image that would have cost you thousands of dollars if you custom ordered it and paid for whatever rights you required use of. The catch was, someone else will buy that same image for fifty bucks like you did. ....but it was so cheap, so what! You were allowed to change the artwork yourself and computer technology made that pretty easy. This spelled the end of the career known as illustration. Somewhere around 2000, there was such a glut of stock illustration, there was hardly a need for illustrators anymore. You could buy a DVD of fifty stock images for $50. Of course, there's still a need for unique art in commercial applications but the bread and butter everyday work is gone. There's no need for it anymore. At least that's the last I heard. I was out of it by 1997. Actually, just about all of the work I did was highly specialized and most of my clients would not have tolerated the possibility of anyone else using the same art they were using. I don't think stock illustration could have replaced me. The problem was finding enough buyers with enough money to pay for it. I couldn't do that after 5 years so I gave up. That's why I became a teacher.

...but now that we've had a digital wave to ride for the last 25 years, I might just jump on that band wagon. I suspect the challenges would be the same but there's no point in going back to traditional techniques to do commercial art today. Maybe I'd try some NFTs. It's still just a fine art game as far as I can tell.

Our firm bought some fine art to hang around our executive suite. It wasn't a huge investment but a couple of years ago it had doubled in value for insurance purposes. Not sure who picked the stuff we bought, but apparently they knew what they were doing! Funny I didn't know they were actually real and I told the interior designer we should re-frame a small Salvador Dali sketch! Haha.

We buy digital images all the time for our marketing efforts. Most are photos, but occasionally we use straight-up art. We have several very talented artists on staff though, so we make a lot of it ourselves.

I was reading about a mutual fund for art not too long ago. It's a fund where people buy and sell art for you, obviously a lot of risk but big rewards too.

Very simply, an NFT is a work of art in digital format. People buy and sell the digital art with cryptocurrency like traditional art is bought and sold with real money. Old game, new twist. Do any of us know anyone who has ever bought an NFT? Do any of us know anyone who has ever bought a piece of original fine art of any kind? No harm in putting your creations up for sale as an NFT but I'd put my effort into work that has a commercial application. Not that an NFT couldn't satisfy the needs of a commercial application, just people with commercial art needs often have a lot of specific input they want to have addressed by the artist.

Back in the 90s, there was still work for "illustrators" ...people who made custom art images for commercial application. Then somewhere around '95, illustrators started making images speculatively and selling the use of those images inexpensively to any number of people. The illustrator would think about what kind of image would work well for a specific application and then set to creating that image with the hopes that a lot of people would find it useful. Stock illustration, it was called. You pay fifty bucks, you get ALL rights a digital file of an image that would have cost you thousands of dollars if you custom ordered it and paid for whatever rights you required use of. The catch was, someone else will buy that same image for fifty bucks like you did. ....but it was so cheap, so what! You were allowed to change the artwork yourself and computer technology made that pretty easy. This spelled the end of the career known as illustration. Somewhere around 2000, there was such a glut of stock illustration, there was hardly a need for illustrators anymore. You could buy a DVD of fifty stock images for $50. Of course, there's still a need for unique art in commercial applications but the bread and butter everyday work is gone. There's no need for it anymore. At least that's the last I heard. I was out of it by 1997. Actually, just about all of the work I did was highly specialized and most of my clients would not have tolerated the possibility of anyone else using the same art they were using. I don't think stock illustration could have replaced me. The problem was finding enough buyers with enough money to pay for it. I couldn't do that after 5 years so I gave up. That's why I became a teacher.

...but now that we've had a digital wave to ride for the last 25 years, I might just jump on that band wagon. I suspect the challenges would be the same but there's no point in going back to traditional techniques to do commercial art today. Maybe I'd try some NFTs. It's still just a fine art game as far as I can tell.
So you got it mostly correct. The reason NFTs are becoming a thing is the ability to own the only original. They cannot make a digital copy. The "Blockchain" the NFT has, is only one. And that ownership is registered like selling a car with a title.

Traditional art can be forged. NFTs cannot. And the owner of the NFT is the only one who can resell it.

So let's say Mythos painted the Mona Lisa. Sold it for a million bucks. He could paint 30 more of them. He is the original artist. He simply picked up a paintbrush.

Sold the others. For let's say half that price. Still a lot of money. But now the first owner is pissed because there is 29 others. And the value is less. And the others can be sold as 1 of 30. Not 1 of 1. They are devaluated at 1 of 30.

Think of the smiley face emoji on your phone. That is a Fungible token (FT) It has been made essentially public domain digital art. If it were an NFT and if you were the owner of that NFT, you could collect royalties everytime it was used.

Now think of say the NFL logo. If you created that NFT. You would own it. Everytime it got used you could collect a royalty. Or you could sell that NFT one time. Perhaps to the NFL.

Last edited:

Well here I thought I knew what an nft was but now you showed me the internet lied to me :lol::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Screenshot_20220118-200411_Facebook.jpg

Not sure who picked the stuff we bought, but apparently they knew what they were doing! Funny I didn't know they were actually real and I told the interior designer we should re-frame a small Salvador Dali sketch! Haha.
Sounds like you guys got some classy stuff! That's good. I'm sure it's an investment if it's work by famous artists. I'm sure a lot of corporations buy art that's inexpensive and uncontroversial, space fillers. Of course, that gives artists who are not famous a chance to sell their work. I don't mind seeing work by unknown artists if it's sincere but most of what we see in public is "fine art" produced for quick sale, the Bill Alexander/Bob Ross schtick or the innocuous abstract expressionist crapola someone made knowing it would sell only for $60. I'd much rather see posters of great work than art made for easy sale. I guess I'm an art snob. I wish we had more of art snobs though.

So let's say Mythos painted the Mona Lisa. Sold it for a million bucks. He could paint 30 more of them. He is the original artist. He simply picked up a paintbrush.

Sold the others. For let's say half that price. Still a lot of money. But now the first owner is pissed because there is 29 others. And the value is less. And the others can be sold as 1 of 30. Not 1 of 1. They are devaluated at 1 of 30.
I noticed the 15 year old in the article did sell some of his NFTs in editions, apparently to make them more affordable. If the NFT is one of a kind, it would be easily traceable if copies are made by the artist or anyone else for that matter. There should be a registered copyright on any NFT if it's valuable enough. It's very simple to copyright a work of art however it's also pretty expensive to take legal action if the copyright is violated. If the copyright violation is that important, normally the only thing that happens is the forger is threatened legally so that they will stop copying the work. If you're making copies repeatedly, you can have an injunction placed on you but for a one off copy, I don't see what anyone could do after it was already sold...unless you profited enough from the forgery that some real damages could be recovered to justify the expensive legal action. If your not manufacturing a very widely distributed product such as those made by Kimberly Clark or Johnson Wax, probably an injunction is the best you can hope for in a copyright dispute.

If it were an NFT and if you were the owner of that NFT, you could collect royalties everytime it was used.
Same with traditional art that's reproduced, only thing is actually finding forgeries. I suppose it would be no different with an NFT. The forgery would be recorded as an NFT but I dpon't see how it could be identified as a forgery unless someone notices it as a copy. I guess you might be able to do a reverse image search to look for forgeries and then do the block-chain check. What then though?

Now think of say the NFL logo. If you created that NFT. You would own it. Everytime it got used you could collect a royalty. Or you could sell that NFT one time. Perhaps to the NFL.
LOL or the NFL legal department would send you a threatening letter telling you you may not use their name in any association with anything having to do with football unless you pay a fee to license the identity of the NFL and they would need to approve all use of that identity/logo/whatever. But, you probably could get away with it as long there wasn't much money involved. I worked for a company in Milwaukee that decorated for public events and they made Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Disney heard about it and threatened them. The Snow White props went in a back room. :laugh:

Last edited:

So you got it mostly correct. The reason NFTs are becoming a thing is the ability to own the only original. They cannot make a digital copy. The "Blockchain" the NFT has, is only one. And that ownership is registered like selling a car with a title.

Traditional art can be forged. NFTs cannot.

Think of the smiley face emoji on your phone. That is a Fungible token (FT It has been made essentially public domain digital art. If it were an NFT and if you were the owner of that NFT, you could collect royalties everytime it was used.

Sounds like you guys got some classy stuff! That's good. I'm sure it's an investment if it's work by famous artists. I'm sure a lot of corporations buy art that's inexpensive and uncontroversial, space fillers. Of course, that gives artists who are not famous a chance to sell their work. I don't mind seeing work by unknown artists if it's sincere but most of what we see in public is "fine art" produced for quick sale, the Bill Alexander/Bob Ross schtick or the innocuous abstract expressionist crapola someone made knowing it would sell only for $60. I'd much rather see posters of great work than art made for easy sale. I guess I'm an art snob. I wish we had more of art snobs though.

I noticed the 15 year old in the article did sell some of his NFTs in editions, apparently to make them more affordable. If the NFT is one of a kind, it would be easily traceable if copies are made by the artist or anyone else for that matter. There should be a registered copyright on any NFT if it's valuable enough. It's very simple to copyright a work of art however it's also pretty expensive to take legal action if the copyright is violated. If the copyright violation is that important, normally the only thing that happens is the forger is threatened legally so that they will stop copying the work. If you're making copies repeatedly, you can have an injunction placed on you but for a one off copy, I don't see what anyone could do after it was already sold...unless you profited enough from the forgery that some real damages could be recovered to justify the expensive legal action. If your not manufacturing a very widely distributed product such as those made by Kimberly Clark or Johnson Wax, probably an injunction is the best you can hope for in a copyright dispute.

Same with traditional art that's reproduced, only thing is actually finding forgeries. I suppose it would be no different with an NFT. The forgery would be recorded as an NFT but I dpon't see how it could be identified as a forgery unless someone notices it as a copy. I guess you might be able to do a reverse image search to look for forgeries and then do the block-chain check. What then though?

LOL or the NFL legal department would send you a threatening letter telling you you may not use their name in any association with anything having to do with football unless you pay a fee to license the identity of the NFL and they would need to approve all use of that identity/logo/whatever. But, you probably could get away with it as long there wasn't much money involved. I worked for a company in Milwaukee that decorated for public events and they made Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Disney heard about it and threatened them. The Snow White props went in a back room. :laugh:
So here is why Crypto and NFTs are finding value. A Blockchain is registered to an owner. It's gaining favor because it's finite. It's registered. So while it's possible that perhaps they will eventually figure out how to make a forgery, they have to make a forgery of the owner too.

@TallTom it's entirely possible to make a forgery right now. Anyone can copy a digital file. You might have a hard time selling it but if what you want is the artwork, all you do is make a nice high rez screen shot. But if people are paying gobs of money to say they are the owner of the original file, I'd sure provide them the original file.

Here's my first NFT :laugh:
View attachment 1646305
Lol. No sir not an NFT. Has to be made in Blockchain. And I can't tell you much about that end. It's a spiffy way to encrypt. And it has a begin and end to the chain. The part in the middle is the block part.

I'm not geeky enough to follow how they do it. I'm just geeky enough to figure out why people are preferring to buy an NFT instead of a Crypto currency.

Lol. No sir not an NFT. Has to be made in Blockchain. And I can't tell you much about that end. It's a spiffy way to encrypt. And it has a begin and end to the chain. The part in the middle is the block part.

I'm not geeky enough to follow how they do it. I'm just geeky enough to figure out why people are preferring to buy an NFT instead of a Crypto currency.
From the article you posted, it sounds like turning any image file into an NFT only requires that you register on one of the NFT platform sights, pay your initial fee in cryptocurrency and then follow whatever steps are required to apply a block chain to the image. You can't copy the exact code of the original NFT (yet). You can copy the image though and you could turn that into an NFT if all you were interested in were owning a copy of the art.

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 9.59.56 AM.png

There, I just did it. Now I probably could register on one of the NFT platforms and turn my sto;len image into an NFT. If I sold the stolen NFT image I turned into an NFT again, I might get in a little trouble but the artists would have to take the financial gamble that he or she would come out ahead by taking legal action. This happens all the time with copyrights an even patents. It's usually not worth it even if the offender has sold copies of your intellectual property. Remember the fish ties in the 80s? I did lots of work for that company. They had their fish tie patent violated and all they could do was pressure those who were in violation to stop selling fish ties. It ended up costing the owner of the patent a lot of money.

I suppose if you pay real money to acquire cryptocurrency, the cryptocurrency will always be worth the same amount it was worth when you paid your real money for it. It doesn't appreciate in value. It might be able to buy more or (usually) less over time because of inflation. A piece of art should increase in value if there is enough people interested in it. Problem is, not everyone is interested in it so you might not be able to trade the NFT for a boat you want to buy. You'd have to sell the NFT to someone who does have an appreciation for the art or NFTs or the NFT investment process. ...then I suppose it's very likly you'd have to trade the cryptocurrency for real money somehow because the guy selling the boat probably wants real money. I don't know why people would prefer cryptocurrency over real money at all. You can do the same thing with both and they are both affected by inflation. The NFT gives you a fighting chance against inflation, I guess. You might come out way ahead if people want to buy ownership of the NFT you own. If the day ever comes where nobody accepts cryptocurrency anywhere, the NFT might end up still being worth whatever type of money we're using at that time if the NFT artist actually becomes famous rather than just "notable." It sounds as if there are already a few NFT artists who are entering the "famous" category. Whatever way you want to look at it, the same dynamics are at play in the value of NFTs as those that have always existed in the market of analog art. One advantage is that NFTs are a new and that automatically draws interest.

From the article you posted, it sounds like turning any image file into an NFT only requires that you register on one of the NFT platform sights, pay your initial fee in cryptocurrency and then follow whatever steps are required to apply a block chain to the image. You can't copy the exact code of the original NFT (yet). You can copy the image though and you could turn that into an NFT if all you were interested in were owning a copy of the art.

View attachment 1646307

There, I just did it. Now I probably could register on one of the NFT platforms and turn my sto;len image into an NFT. If I sold the stolen NFT image I turned into an NFT again, I might get in a little trouble but the artists would have to take the financial gamble that he or she would come out ahead by taking legal action. This happens all the time with copyrights an even patents. It's usually not worth it even if the offender has sold copies of your intellectual property. Remember the fish ties in the 80s? I did lots of work for that company. They had their fish tie patent violated and all they could do was pressure those who were in violation to stop selling fish ties. It ended up costing the owner of the patent a lot of money.

I suppose if you pay real money to acquire cryptocurrency, the cryptocurrency will always be worth the same amount it was worth when you paid your real money for it. It doesn't appreciate in value. It might be able to buy more or (usually) less over time because of inflation. A piece of art should increase in value if there is enough people interested in it. Problem is, not everyone is interested in it so you might not be able to trade the NFT for a boat you want to buy. You'd have to sell the NFT to someone who does have an appreciation for the art or NFTs or the NFT investment process. ...then I suppose it's very likly you'd have to trade the cryptocurrency for real money somehow because the guy selling the boat probably wants real money. I don't know why people would prefer cryptocurrency over real money at all. You can do the same thing with both and they are both affected by inflation. The NFT gives you a fighting chance against inflation, I guess. You might come out way ahead if people want to buy ownership of the NFT you own. If the day ever comes where nobody accepts cryptocurrency anywhere, the NFT might end up still being worth whatever type of money we're using at that time if the NFT artist actually becomes famous rather than just "notable." It sounds as if there are already a few NFT artists who are entering the "famous" category. Whatever way you want to look at it, the same dynamics are at play in the value of NFTs as those that have always existed in the market of analog art. One advantage is that NFTs are a new and that automatically draws interest.
Trust me I got mentally bogged down in how the value is established in the Crypto world. NFTs are just an alternative to Crypto. Once you learn to trust that the value is just like anything else. Whatever people buying and selling agree it is. The finite aspect is a draw. Unlike conventional $$$. The government can dump as much conventional $$$ they want to into circulation. Crypto is a set number made available.

NFTs from an artist perspective, is only speculative as to if it will sell once. And if it sells for enough to make it worth it to them.

Back