Man dies no helmet

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I am not trying to be morbid with these post. I want the new guys to see that wearing gear is paramount to safety... I see busas here in OKC with riders in shorts, no helmets or jackets..... All these post I put up like this are from the OKC area. How many people have needlessly died because they were not wearing gear, how many more does it take?

A Coweta man died last night after he lost control of a motorcycle on a highway off-ramp near Claremore.
The road was wet shortly before 9:30 p.m. when Joseph Glenn III, 47, turned too quickly while driving on the westbound Interstate 44 off-ramp to State Highway 266, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol reported.

When he lost control, Glenn’s Harley Davidson struck a cement embankment and both the motorcycle and Glenn went airborne for 60 feet before they struck the road’s shoulder and a traffic sign, the patrol reported.

The patrol listed the cause of the wreck as unsafe speed while turning — not wet road conditions.

Glenn died at the scene and the patrol’s report said he wasn’t wearing a helmet.

I just don't understand why people won't wear a lid.
It's senseless to put your life on the line every time you get in the saddle. Road rash is bad enough, but your melon is the key to life.

RIP

I ride with my father who's in his 60's now...He wont wear a helmet for anything. Raining out, night time doesnt matter he wont wear it... He's sick of hearin me bitch i'm sick of bitchin....guess its like talkin to smokers...gonna do what they wanna do...

so sad ,
sad.gif

I started riding in the dirt. Crashed o'plenty over the years. My gear saved me countless times. I *learned* of the importance of full riding gear from those experiences.

Why should the street be any different? Heck, there aren't any cell phone using minivan driving soccer mom's full of kid's making left turns in front of you on the trails...
wow.gif

Wear your gear. It will save you (and your loved one's) much pain.

(Slicksnchicks @ Jun. 30 2007,16:44) I ride with my father who's in his 60's now...He wont wear a helmet for anything.  Raining out, night time doesnt matter he wont wear it... He's sick of hearin me bitch i'm sick of bitchin....guess its like talkin to smokers...gonna do what they wanna do...
I would be interested in hearing his reason for not wearing one. We take enough risk just riding...I want every ounce of protection I can wear.

(Slicksnchicks @ Jun. 30 2007,13:44) I ride with my father who's in his 60's now...He wont wear a helmet for anything. Raining out, night time doesnt matter he wont wear it... He's sick of hearin me bitch i'm sick of bitchin....guess its like talkin to smokers...gonna do what they wanna do...
Even though you care, you can not protect the ignorance of others. At least you protect yourself!

Full leathers and protective gear is THE ONLY WAY to ride on the streets!

I have been down with FULL LEATHERS on the street.

Let me tell you sliding on the pavement at 110mph
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
isn't any fun WITH leathers,, I can't imagine how it would feel with only jeans and other less stringent apparel!
firedevil.gif

So sad that keeping to a standard "look" that a certain bunch of riders has set is costing so many so much.

My condolences to the family!

I'm a long standing member here..........So here's my view.

I'm 35, been riding for 17 years, been down twice and I still to this day very seldom ever wear a helmet.  As cookie so ignorantly point out.........it's not ignorance (not bashing cookie).  Alot of you guys who post about helmets live in states where there's laws that require you to do so.  I often wonder if given the choice of your own how many would still carry on with the protective efforts.  As a rider I've both been involved and witnessed accidents........one fatal.  I know the statistics, I know helmets save lives and I do not dispute these facts in any way.  

I happen to live in a state that allows me to "choose" whether or not to wear gear.  I've grown up my whole life idolizing motorcycles.  As a kid I'd run to see a harley go down the road.  My first ride was with my uncle at maybe 10 years of age, Honda 650.........to this day I can still remeber that first ride.  I've watched the movies, and watched my family, and watched fellow riders my entire life forming this image of motorcycling............and for me, where I live..........that image was never one of helmets.  To me, motorcycling has always been an open rode with the wind in your face, your hair blowing (well, used to), throttle twisted, pipes rumbling, pointing down a highway going nowhere just being glad to be on 2 wheels.  No where does a helmet fit into "MY" childhood dream of riding bikes.  As a sportbike rider gear definitely plays a larger role as we tend to ride at higher speeds, take corners a bit more aggresively, lift a wheel or 2 from time to time, the cruiser crowd (by far the largest population of motorcyclists) we tend to feel less at need, though yes, we crash too.

I live in Ohio...........Attend a bike night of 3 thousand on any given night and less than 25% will be wearing a helmet..........does that make the other 75% ignorant, stupid, squidly
rock.gif
 It's how we are raised, it's what our image of cycling is, it's what's in our blood.  In your opinion I'm a canditate for the meat grinder.........In mine, I'm just a cyclist enjoying the open rode same as you, no more, no less..........and with every bit as much respect.

Well, I live in a state that allows me to choose, and I choose to wear a helmet.

When I was a youngster, I rode a Harley and did not wear a helmet. I was single, 19, and invincible.

I am 49 now, with a wife and 3 of my 4 children still living. I wear a helmet for them as much as myself.

Would I like to see everyone wearing a helmet? Yes, I would.

When a rider goes down, some folks say, "Well, he died doing what he loved". Maybe he did, but it's not much consolation for his family. He's still dead.

Do I think the government should legislate helmets? No, but ONLY if they require those not wearing them to prove that they are insured so that society is indemnified from their damages and medical bills.

I understand the "wind in your hair" thing, I really do.

Get a convertible.

My $0.02

i live in a state that doesnt require a helmet to be worn, pa. i ride with many of the cruiser types that do not wear a helmet and i always needle them just a little about it. the fact is this. they will either wear a helmet or they wont and nothing you tell them or show them will change their minds. i honestly hope the day never comes where one of them say to me i just wish i had a helmet on. i must admit i rode one time without a helmet to experience it. never did it again.

(pward76 @ Jun. 30 2007,22:54) Do I think the government should legislate helmets?  No, but ONLY if they require those not wearing them to prove that they are insured so that society is indemnified from their damages and medical bills.
I'm in no way saying I'm right, just giving you a point of view of why some do not.

And the above statement has always amused me.

How is my medically untreated death more expensive that your treatment to recovery given equivalent circumstances. we both crash the same crash, I die from no helmet, you survive. My injuries obviously require no treatment other than a pine box and services......Yours could beyears of rehab. As or the bikes themselves, they'd be equal loss so I can't see where this statement holds any real world weight, just more mumble jumble of I'm right for wearing and you're an idiot.

the thought of sliding down the road and having various sized chunks ripped out of my head by every lump, rock, screw and other obstacle is enough to motivate me.

I need ALL my fingers and toes to count the guys I know who credit their helmets with saving their lives.

In fact every guy I ride with has had a decent helmet grinding crash. be a shame if the whole commuity of riders in my town were dead, thankfully we have no choice but to wear them.

Of course keeping ya fingers crossed probabaly works just as good.

moX

I ride everywhere with a helmet. I can't say I always wear all my gear though. Just yesterday I was cruising in the shorts and t-shirt (Sorry, I left the flip flops at home.)

I know the risks. The risks hurt.

(Revvv @ Jun. 30 2007,23:21) I ride everywhere with a helmet. I can't say I always wear all my gear though. Just yesterday I was cruising in the shorts and t-shirt (Sorry, I left the flip flops at home.)

I know the risks. The risks hurt.
Point taken..............Geared or not we all take riskes every single time we climb aboard our machine of choice.  Riding is a luxury, not a necessity (though we may feel it is).  I know the risk as due "MOST" riders that ride.  Obviously there are those that just feel superhuman and oblivious to life.  But I understand the risks I take every time I ride.  I understand that helmets reduce that risk, but helmeted riders die too.  By the average statement made, those that don't wear full leathers, bike boots, gloves aren't far behind deaths door either.  Though many of you wear helmets, I'm positive the numbers sharply decrease as we move down the gear line.

This is an arguement I seldom enter as I know it's an arguement I can't win basically because all the common sense and statistics say so.  I'm just offering one persons point of view as to why.  I guess if I was raised going to the track and admiring track riders my opinion of motorcycling would have been formed different, but I wasn't..........and I am who I am.

I understand that someday there may be a post here on the board stating my demise, and in that post will be "not wearing a helmet", and somebody will say, what an idiot........he deserved to die. I've more or less seen it posted before, but for anyone who truely knows me that be far from true.........I'm adult, I'm responsible, I'm conciderate, I'm thoughtful, I'm everything you'd hope to find in a human being...............and I LOVE TO RIDE.

I have a person who works with me who rides and hates helmets. I've tried to reason with him and the only reason he wears one is because it's the law in Tennessee. He's one of those people who in some respects are brain dead already because no matter what, if it wasn't the law he wouldn't wear one. I just don't understand. Then again, he's also one of those who believe that eating some frickin' Amazon tree root will cure cancer, heart failure, and brain tumors. My God!

BTW.... Milwaukee is absolutely full of riders without gear, helmets or anything else. I go there all the time and have actually counted them for hours. About 1 in 10 wear a helmet. Oh well.... stupid, stupid, stupid...... oh, did I mention STUPID!!!

Riding without a helmet makes no sense to me.
Me riding without my full gear makes no sense to some of you. (It really makes no sense to me either - I do it because it's hot and I am riding to enjoy the ride and not sweat.)

The fact of the matter is that we all have choices to make. In terms of wearing protective gear and riding bikes, we all know the risk at hand. It's common sense that says your head will explode like a melon if it hits the asphalt at 60 MPH. Common sense also tells me that I could have broken bones and will likely have road rashed skin if I slide across the pavement.
Smokers know the cancer risks, yet they continue.
Alcoholics know about liver and kidney diseases as well as family disfunctions and they continue to drink.
There are dangers involved in motorcycling. Yes, there are protective measures designed to reduce the damages if an accident occurs. It's the rider's own choice to die or be maimed if he or she goes down. You can't help stupid.

(Yes, I'm stupid, but I wear my helmet. )

Back