NO HELMET

Good point Proffessor, AZ has already been down this route with helmets and seatbelts... (maybe 10 years ago?)

they do pass a % of responsibility back to the deceased if they were not wearing a helmet or in the case of a car, seatbelt... this all came up with when the issue of state financial support came up for hospitals and "victims" without insurance.

I know this will spark some debate, but does it take away so much of the coolness of the bike when you're wearing a helmet that  people just don't do it?
RIP

Coolness and peer pressure have been mentioned and I tend to agree. I'm nearing 40 and don't have anyone encouraging me to ride without my lid. In fact, I am surrounded by people who encourage me to wear it.

Truth is, I do but only 99% of the time. There is a sushi bar just 10 minutes from my house. I love to throw on boots, jeans and gloves and take my girl out for lunch. Stupid, I know. My point is that I'm not trying to be cool... I just love the feeling without my lid. Waaring one is kinda like riding in a convertible with the top up on a gorgeous day.  
super.gif

I understand the risk but still do it and will most likely continue. Perhaps the risk of not wearing a helmet feeds my need for adrenaline just like taking those corners way too fast.
Consider this...the vast majority of accidents happen within five miles from home...all the gear all the time.

Objective : To study the impact of helmet nonuse in motorcycle crashes after the repeal of a mandatory helmet law in the state of Florida.Methods : We prospectively studied all patients evaluated at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center from July 1, 2000, through December 31, 2000, involved in motorcycle crashes, and compared them with those seen during the same time period the year before the helmet law change.

Results : In 1999, before the repeal of the helmet law, there were 52 cases evaluated at our center compared with 94 after the law change. Helmet usage decreased from 1999 (83%) to 2000 (56%). The number of brain injuries (Abbreviated Injury Scale score >= 2) during this same time period increased from 18 to 35, and the number of fatalities from 2 to 8.
(taken from: Journal of Trauma-Injury Infection & Critical Care. 52(3):469-474, March 2002)

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, the ONLY way you can justify not wearing gear is if you can afford to pay your bills if you get hospitalized. Otherwise, you're being cared for by my effin' tax dollars and THAT is the reason people who don't wear gear really piss me off.

--Wag--

Be nice if we had the freedom to make it optional

but the intelligence to put em on.

Personally cant understand how you can ride at any reasonable speed (and you all have Hayabusas) without a helmet.

it stings

moX

you're being cared for by my effin' tax dollars and THAT is the reason people who don't wear gear really piss me off.  
+1000000000000 I work in a hospital. Helmets are cheap compared to a night in the ICU; $3000/night. Standard floor room - $1000/night. An ambulance ride starts at $300, not including milage. if a helo gets off the ground, $800.

In some states (Texas), a helmetless rider is required to have a higher level of insurance. The increase in coverage is a joke compared to the average cost of hospitalization.

I hope everyone is well insured!

I work in a hospital.  Helmets are cheap compared to a night in the ICU; $3000/night. Standard floor room - $1000/night.  An ambulance ride starts at $300, not including milage.  if a helo gets off the ground, $800.
I need to move to NC. My helo ride here was $11000+. I don't remember them letting me look out a window either.
laugh.gif

Wow this is like at least the 3rd thread in a week that I have read in which people have basically attacked people for not wearing gear. Saying that people are stupid or whatever for not wearing a lid is just outright dumb. It is a choice that we make as riders as to whether or not we want to wera one. Thats the way it should be. You know what I say think when its 95 and I see a guy wearing full leathers to go cruising. Wow what an idiot.. Dehydration is a motherhumper. Yeah you really make clear and good decisions all bundled up. Look whatever it is that you want to do is just fine with me. I really could care less what you ride in as long as you are riding. By telling people what they should and should not do or wear is the exact opposite of the reason why we have all bought motorcycles in the first place. We bought them at one point in time to basically be different, be a rebel as some may call it. And here we are picking on each other because of gear? Cmon we are small fish in the big pond we all need to stick together and be one. I am not trying to change anyones views on the helmet thing. Other than quit picking on those of us that don't wear them.

Wow this is like at least the 3rd thread in a week that I have read in which people have basically attacked people for not wearing gear. Saying that people are stupid or whatever for not wearing a lid is just outright dumb. It is a choice that we make as riders as to whether or not we want to wera one. Thats the way it should be. You know what I say think when its 95 and I see a guy wearing full leathers to go cruising. Wow what an idiot.. Dehydration is a motherhumper. Yeah you really make clear and good decisions all bundled up. Look whatever it is that you want to do is just fine with me. I really could care less what you ride in as long as you are riding. By telling people what they should and should not do or wear is the exact opposite of the reason why we have all bought motorcycles in the first place. We bought them at one point in time to basically be different, be a rebel as some may call it. And here we are picking on each other because of gear? Cmon we are small fish in the big pond we all need to stick together and be one. I am not trying to change anyones views on the helmet thing. Other than quit picking on those of us that don't wear them.
It's not a matter of personal choice, but more so common sense. Sometimes you have to look beyond what's fun and see who you are affecting if you lose your life because you chose not to wear gear. As far as wearing gear when it's hot you may feel different if you ever go down. I pray that you don't, if you're not wearing any.

It is a choice ... It is my choice to always wear one. Got my state inspection done last week.I had on jeans, gloves, tennis shoes, t-shirt & helmet. I felt like a squid because I didn't have on full leathers. It is NOT an option in our house.

having ridden the AZ desert for more years that I care to count, leather or any gear keep you FROM dehydrating.. We carry at least 1G of water per rider (you can easily go through 3 or 4 G per rider per day)

and there is not a single organization that advocates riding without a helmet... wonder why that is?

again the debate is not about the safety factor (that has been well established) it is a personal rights erosion.. unfortunately for many, they were not "forced" to wear a lid and now pay the ultimate price..

your choice, but you are affecting my insurance rates..

Perhaps when you have a 2 or 3 year old that depends on you to provide a life/income for them you may see things differently (responsibility does funny things) Until then ride on and enjoy

having ridden the AZ desert for more years that I care to count, leather or any gear keep you FROM dehydrating..  We carry at least 1G of water per rider (you can easily go through 3 or 4 G per rider per day)

and there is not a single organization that advocates riding without a helmet... wonder why that is?

again the debate is not about the safety factor (that has been well established) it is a personal rights erosion..  unfortunately for many, they were not "forced" to wear a lid and now pay the ultimate price..

your choice, but you are affecting my insurance rates..  

Perhaps when you have a 2 or 3 year old that depends on you to provide a life/income for them you may see things differently (responsibility does funny things)  Until then ride on and enjoy
So because I have made a CHOICE not to have kids I am not responsible? Well maybe you want your kids to wipe your butt when our a vegtable in a wheelchair because the helmet saved your life and now your a quad. Thats great. So instead of raising my insurance rates now you are raising my health insurance because you lived and require all kinds of medical. Thats just great. Such an asset to society when you can't even say your own name.
I'm not picking on ya I am just makin a statement cause of what people have said in these threads. I mean there is no need to call people that don't wear helmets names. I know you didn't. it just gets frustrating.

And as for the guy that says wearing full leathers doesn't get you dehydrated. Your full of it. I have full leathers when I race and on a 90 degree day guess what you lose a lot of water from sweat which = dehydration.

I personally can't stand riding without a helmet... Triple digits and a bumble bee feels like a bullet.

Objective : To study the impact of helmet nonuse in motorcycle crashes after the repeal of a mandatory helmet law in the state of Florida.Methods : We prospectively studied all patients evaluated at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center from July 1, 2000, through December 31, 2000, involved in motorcycle crashes, and compared them with those seen during the same time period the year before the helmet law change.

Results : In 1999, before the repeal of the helmet law, there were 52 cases evaluated at our center compared with 94 after the law change. Helmet usage decreased from 1999 (83%) to 2000 (56%). The number of brain injuries (Abbreviated Injury Scale score >= 2) during this same time period increased from 18 to 35, and the number of fatalities from 2 to 8.
(taken from: Journal of Trauma-Injury Infection & Critical Care. 52(3):469-474, March 2002)
In case you ignored this: brain injuries doubled and deaths quadrupled from the previous year. So, please forgive me if I judge you as less intelligent if you're riding with no lid.

I hate to see people keep posting whenever someone dies from not wearing a helmet. Where are the posts of guys dieing wearing helmets. Truth of the matter is because you want to wear a helmet you should not force everyone to wear a helmet. The next thing will be for people who dont like motorcycles saying they are just to dangerous and if you cant afford to pay your hospital bills if you get hurt on one of those unsafe bikes you should not be able to own one. Wearing a helmet is not a get out of being dead card. Hopefully you wear one and you never have to use it or if you do it helps you from getting hurt much worse. I will never ever tell someone to not wear a helmet I wear mine alot more than ever, but Its the essesnce of what makes America well America we are free to make choices good or bad. The truth is you are very willing to give up your rights if it suits the way you feel or your point of view. Can you imagine this board if a national law passed that every car and motorcycle from 1995 and up would have to have a speed limiter at 75MPH put on it. You all would be apeshit. But it would saves thousands maybe millions of lives wouldnt it?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

Check out the avatar...August in Mobile...103 heat index...looks like we were having fun
peace.gif

I hate to see people keep posting whenever someone dies from not wearing a helmet. Where are the posts of guys dieing wearing helmets.

Truth of the matter is because you want to wear a helmet you should not force everyone to wear a helmet. Wearing a helmet is not a get out of being dead card. Hopefully you wear one and you never have to use it or if you do it helps you from getting hurt much worse. I will never ever tell someone to not wear a helmet I wear mine alot more than ever, but Its the essesnce of what makes America well America we are free to make choices good or bad.

The truth is you are very willing to give up your rights if it suits the way you feel or your point of view.

The posts about guys dying with helmet are here, just less frequent.

I have to wear a seatbelt in a semi because people die in Saturns.
winkold.gif

Let's change the word 'helmet' to 'seatbelt' and see if the reaction is different.

I hate to see people keep posting whenever someone dies from not wearing a helmet. Where are the posts of guys dieing wearing helmets. Truth of the matter is because you want to wear a helmet you should not force everyone to wear a helmet. The next thing will be for people who dont like motorcycles saying they are just to dangerous and if you cant afford to pay your hospital bills if you get hurt on one of those unsafe bikes you should not be able to own one. Wearing a helmet is not a get out of being dead card. Hopefully you wear one and you never have to use it or if you do it helps you from getting hurt much worse. I will never ever tell someone to not wear a helmet I wear mine alot more than ever, but Its the essesnce of what makes America well America we are free to make choices good or bad. The truth is you are very willing to give up your rights if it suits the way you feel or your point of view. Can you imagine this board if a national law passed that every car and motorcycle from 1995 and up would have to have a speed limiter at 75MPH put on it. You all would be apeshit. But it would saves thousands maybe millions of lives wouldnt it?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
I keep putting these post up there because thats all thats in the news, guys that crash and survive arent really news are they... Your non helmet guys are all correct it is a choice if you wear a helmet, I'm not saying that we should pass laws that say you have to wear one, what I am saying is that if you are fully informed on the risk and you have evidence that clearly shows you that wearing gear saves lives then yes your dumb for not wearing your gear.... I equate this decision to not wear gear to russian roulette, you know there is a high chance of death and most certainly injury but you still dont wear it. It's your choice to not have a helmet on, to have a head injury, road rash mental impairment or death, but I assure you that I will do my best to convince and put the facts out there for everyone to make their own choice.

Cap

rock.gif

rock.gif

Back