Come on guys..... GEAR GEAR GEAR

(Devil Dog @ Jun. 12 2007,09:04) Complete lack of responsibility IMO. He prolly has a family to include children and now they are fatherless.
mad.gif

My thoughts and best wishes go out to the families......
sad.gif

DD
+1 RIP

All the gear all the time also. 18career yrs. ems. I've bad seen things happen with out it and the ones that make, well, it looks painfull.

Ps - Cap check out Bangor Daily News 06/11/07. We had four die this weekend alone. One bike(Harley- op.54yo) driving fast passing left and right sides. They found him in the ditch up the road. His brother was so distraught over it he drove his van into a ledge 6-7 hrs. later at a high rate of speed. I'm just glad either of them didn't take anyone else with them.

Don't mean to bum anyone out but their have been a ton a bike accidents up here lately, me included(low sided) but that's another story.

be careful all, Doug

(Professor @ Jun. 11 2007,16:09) Peer pressure.

I did it for 40,000 miles, but luckily I survived it.  Ride into a Oklahome bike night event on a Road King with a full face helmet and see what kind of looks you get.  It was one of the smaller reasons to get rid of it and avoiding that crowd.
I am seeing more and more cruiser bikes wearing helmets lately. This is a good thing. I do not weqr a flull face helmet on the cruiser but always on the Busa. My wife and I get some strange looks on the cruiser weraing the police style helmets. Oh well....

(Ninja Eater @ Jun. 12 2007,15:19)
(Professor @ Jun. 11 2007,16:09) Peer pressure.

I did it for 40,000 miles, but luckily I survived it.  Ride into a Oklahome bike night event on a Road King with a full face helmet and see what kind of looks you get.  It was one of the smaller reasons to get rid of it and avoiding that crowd.
I am seeing more and more cruiser bikes wearing helmets lately.  This is a good thing.  I do not weqr a flull face helmet on the cruiser but always on the Busa.  My wife and I get some strange looks on the cruiser weraing the police style helmets.  Oh well....
Here I am on my crusier...you can only the imagine the stares and comments I get...

l_011884711c2a22b42da4c919b8657689.jpg

(captain @ Jun. 12 2007,01:03) I hate putting these things on the board but I see local guys on busa's wearing shorts and t shirts..... Maybe, just maybe they will see this someday....... Everytime I have the urge to jus run to the store to get gas or whatnot and I think of not wearing my gear I immediately think of my wife and sons and what they would be left with..... How senseless and selfish it would be for me to not wear gear.........

cap
Just Sunday I saw a female getting on a sportbike behind her friend who had all his gear. She had a helmet but that was about it. Tube top, shorty jeans and flip flops, no bull! She was getting her (before) pics taken as they got ready to leave Alice's but nearly everyone watching was scratching their heads wondering WHY? She (was) a great looking little girl, about 5'0" and 100 pounds, a great passenger, weight wise, but on a get off, there would be little left of that pretty girl. Didn't her boyfriend care about her enough to get her some gear before they ride?

(CBXRider @ Jun. 12 2007,16:24)
(captain @ Jun. 12 2007,01:03) I hate putting these things on the board but I see local guys on busa's wearing shorts and t shirts..... Maybe, just maybe they will see this someday....... Everytime I have the urge to jus run to the store to get gas or whatnot and I think of not wearing my gear I immediately think of my wife and sons and what they would be left with..... How senseless and selfish it would be for me to not wear gear.........

cap
Just Sunday I saw a female getting on a sportbike behind her friend who had all his gear. She had a helmet but that was about it. Tube top, shorty jeans and flip flops, no bull! She was getting her (before) pics taken as they got ready to leave Alice's but nearly everyone watching was scratching their heads wondering WHY? She (was) a great looking little girl, about 5'0" and 100 pounds, a great passenger, weight wise, but on a get off, there would be little left of that pretty girl. Didn't her boyfriend care about her enough to get her some gear before they ride?
Naw, he just wanted a tail ornament to show off...

P.S.- Va, I mean "tail" as in opposed to "hood ornament"...

DON'T go there guys!!! (Running hastily to the exit)
crazy.gif

(hillbilly @ Jun. 12 2007,14:09) The following is from the local paper describing the weekends crashes. We had the usual bunch of Harley crashers but I didn't post the one about the ATV rider hitting a deer.
I managed to squeak through the weekend with only one close call with a sucidial coon.

Breakdown of area motorcycle and ATV crashes over the weekend:

1:20 p.m. Friday, Ohio 821 near milepost 5, two vehicles; Marion B. Tennant, 67, of Vienna, W.Va., was driving south on Ohio 821 on his 2007 Harley- Davidson motorcycle when a truck driven by a 17-year-old Stockport boy turned in front of him. Tennant struck the truck and was thrown from the bike. Tennant was transported to Marietta Memorial Hospital where his condition was not immediately available Sunday evening. Tennant was wearing a helmet.

2:40 p.m. Friday, Ohio 26 near milepost 3; Wayne J. Monette, 63, of Hamersville, was riding his 2005 Harley Davidson motorcycle when he went off the right side of the roadway, struck a guardrail, ditch and guide wire. He was transported to Selby General Hospital where his condition was not immediately available Sunday evening. He was not wearing a helmet.

11:04 a.m. Saturday, intersection of Ohio 60 and Ohio 530 near Lowell; Myron “Daleâ€￾ Leeper, 58, of 106 Sylvan Way, lost control of his 2003 Harley- Davidson when he hit an oil slick on the roadway. Leeper was transported to Marietta Memorial Hospital. His condition was not available late Sunday. Leeper was wearing a helmet. A tractor trailer responsible for leaking the oil was found disabled a few miles north of the crash. The truck was driven by Allen L. Wogan, 45, of Chesterhill. The crash remains under investigation.

2:10 p.m. Saturday, Ohio 60 near milepost 20 in Beverly, two vehicle crash; Michael T. Davis, 31, of 335 Rummer Road, Marietta, and passenger Frances A. Winstanley, 30, of 2451 Summers Road, Marietta, were injured when a vehicle driven by Alison B. Leary, 19, of Belpre, pulled out in front of their motorcycle from a private drive. Davis and Winstanley were transported to Marietta Memorial Hospital with minor injuries. Helmet use was unknown.

4:50 p.m. Saturday, Ohio 26 near milepost 8, one vehicle; Juddeson Lewis, 68, of Williamstown, was injured when he failed to negotiate a curve while riding his 1985 Kawasaki motorcycle. Lewis was transported to Marietta Memorial Hospital with minor injuries. Helmet use was unknown.

6:30 p.m. Saturday, just off Collins Road near Little Hocking; Larry Barr, 60, of Elizabeth Street in Belpre, was injured when he lost control of his ATV while riding along an abandoned railroad track. Barr plunged about 40 feet over an embankment and was transported by medical helicopter to a Charleston, W.Va., trauma center where he was listed in critical condition Sunday evening. He was not wearing a helmet.

6:30 p.m. Sunday, intersection of County House Lane and Mount Tom Road, Marietta, one vehicle; a motorcyclist and his passenger were transported to Marietta Memorial hospital with serious cuts and bruises after a single vehicle crash. The wreck remained under investigation late Sunday and no other details were immediately available.
Note to self- stay away from old farts on Harley's...
wink.gif

(Shibumi @ Jun. 12 2007,18:12)
(hillbilly @ Jun. 12 2007,14:09) The following is from the local paper describing the weekends crashes. We had the usual bunch of Harley crashers but I didn't post the one about the ATV rider hitting a deer.
I managed to squeak through the weekend with only one close call with a sucidial coon.

Breakdown of area motorcycle and ATV crashes over the weekend:

1:20 p.m. Friday, Ohio 821 near milepost 5, two vehicles; Marion B. Tennant, 67, of Vienna, W.Va., was driving south on Ohio 821 on his 2007 Harley- Davidson motorcycle when a truck driven by a 17-year-old Stockport boy turned in front of him. Tennant struck the truck and was thrown from the bike. Tennant was transported to Marietta Memorial Hospital where his condition was not immediately available Sunday evening. Tennant was wearing a helmet.

2:40 p.m. Friday, Ohio 26 near milepost 3; Wayne J. Monette, 63, of Hamersville, was riding his 2005 Harley Davidson motorcycle when he went off the right side of the roadway, struck a guardrail, ditch and guide wire. He was transported to Selby General Hospital where his condition was not immediately available Sunday evening. He was not wearing a helmet.

11:04 a.m. Saturday, intersection of Ohio 60 and Ohio 530 near Lowell; Myron “Daleâ€￾ Leeper, 58, of 106 Sylvan Way, lost control of his 2003 Harley- Davidson when he hit an oil slick on the roadway. Leeper was transported to Marietta Memorial Hospital. His condition was not available late Sunday. Leeper was wearing a helmet. A tractor trailer responsible for leaking the oil was found disabled a few miles north of the crash. The truck was driven by Allen L. Wogan, 45, of Chesterhill. The crash remains under investigation.

2:10 p.m. Saturday, Ohio 60 near milepost 20 in Beverly, two vehicle crash; Michael T. Davis, 31, of 335 Rummer Road, Marietta, and passenger Frances A. Winstanley, 30, of 2451 Summers Road, Marietta, were injured when a vehicle driven by Alison B. Leary, 19, of Belpre, pulled out in front of their motorcycle from a private drive. Davis and Winstanley were transported to Marietta Memorial Hospital with minor injuries. Helmet use was unknown.

4:50 p.m. Saturday, Ohio 26 near milepost 8, one vehicle; Juddeson Lewis, 68, of Williamstown, was injured when he failed to negotiate a curve while riding his 1985 Kawasaki motorcycle. Lewis was transported to Marietta Memorial Hospital with minor injuries. Helmet use was unknown.

6:30 p.m. Saturday, just off Collins Road near Little Hocking; Larry Barr, 60, of Elizabeth Street in Belpre, was injured when he lost control of his ATV while riding along an abandoned railroad track. Barr plunged about 40 feet over an embankment and was transported by medical helicopter to a Charleston, W.Va., trauma center where he was listed in critical condition Sunday evening. He was not wearing a helmet.

6:30 p.m. Sunday, intersection of County House Lane and Mount Tom Road, Marietta, one vehicle; a motorcyclist and his passenger were transported to Marietta Memorial hospital with serious cuts and bruises after a single vehicle crash. The wreck remained under investigation late Sunday and no other details were immediately available.
Note to self- stay away from old farts on Harley's...  
wink.gif
You are are joking but what you say is very true. I cannot count the number of times I have been stuck in traffic on a busy two lane highway because a group of Harley's are puttering along about 10 to 15 miles below the limit. Of course everyone else are taking unnecessary chances to get arount them
poke.gif

I just thought of this... someone brought it up earlier....

... if you are worried about your people seeing your IDENTITY on your motorcycle, you have more self esteem problems than ANY motorcycle can fix.

A helmet is a good way to say, "I don't care WHAT YOU think"

(Vic_E55_2001 @ Jun. 12 2007,18:30) I just hate all those 1000 bugs splashed into my face.
THAT'S a good point!! Anybody else had a June bug (beetle to you Yankee types) smack into their faceshield with the sound of a pellet gun shooting a tin can?!?

How'd ya like to take THAT in the eye at 80 MPH??
rock.gif

To me, someone riding without a helmet or even eye protection is the ultimate definition of dumbass...
poke.gif

(Shibumi @ Jun. 13 2007,18:05)
(Vic_E55_2001 @ Jun. 12 2007,18:30) I just hate all those 1000 bugs splashed into my face.
THAT'S a good point!! Anybody else had a June bug (beetle to you Yankee types) smack into their faceshield with the sound of a pellet gun shooting a tin can?!?

How'd ya like to take THAT in the eye at 80 MPH??  
rock.gif

To me, someone riding without a helmet or even eye protection is the ultimate definition of dumbass...  
poke.gif
+1 . Or a bird in the face ? Ive been hit by pieces of tire, rocks, June bugs . Thank god I had my helmet on when I wrecked my ZX11. Arai helmet destroyed.Didnt know my head hit the ground till I took off the lid.

scan.jpg

lets all remember how motorcycling started in our country...... on a harley... in a im a badass time.... riders of the harley now a days without a skull cap as they like to call it are pussys... thats like us walking out the door with a baseball hat on saying its cool.... even worse they like to let there females ride around with them in bare t-shirts and shorts.... now this is not the case all the time... so to the few who wanna ream me out save your breath... but I HAVE SEEN more then enough 40+ year old riders NOT wearing gear... and ill also call out the stupid ass BMW riders riding around in t-shirt shorts and even flip-flops... as well as gold wing rider.... So who do we blame for all this??? exactly.. Im tired of hearing sob storys of oh he has riden a bike for 20 years your ricer.... Ya well as I ride Rice I Also Protect Myself While Im Riding.....  
guns.gif

i cant believe i used to wear a t-shirt, jeans with no armor under, and a beanie helmet when i had my harley...

you lads a have a helmet, actually 2, to thank for me still being here to irritate you with my crap comments

moX

(captain @ Jun. 12 2007,12:03) I hate putting these things on the board but I see local guys on busa's wearing shorts and t shirts..... Maybe, just maybe they will see this someday....... Everytime I have the urge to jus run to the store to get gas or whatnot and I think of not wearing my gear I immediately think of my wife and sons and what they would be left with..... How senseless and selfish it would be for me to not wear gear.........

cap
I started to just jump on my bike at lunch to go a couple of blocks to get a drink, and figured,WTH, I'm only going a little ways, I'll be okay. Well it wasn't very enjoyable ! Very loud ! Bugs in the face too !!

But never once did I think of my 2 children I was at work for.(to provide for them)

You are soooo right CAP !! THAT WAS NOTHING BUT BEING SELFISH !!

WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN !!

(imoXu @ Jun. 13 2007,21:30) you lads a have a helmet, actually 2, to thank for me still being here to irritate you with my crap comments

moX
rock.gif
Too many Foster's, mate??
biggrin.gif

Haven't noticed any crap comments though, post away!!
smile.gif

I think what fries my buns worse than anything is the group "ABATE" They seem to encourage and endorse "no helmets"

I think most of the members ride without helmets just to proves some silly-ass defiance of helmet laws in general. I have heard that the helmet restricts peripheral vision , break your neck because they are too heavy, and impair your hearing.

Guess someone should point out to them that you should not by $49 helmets at walmart?

I guess if you have a "toy ride" every year it should offset the number of people that are injured or killed that may have been ok if they had a helmet on.....

I wear gear every time I ride because it is a smart thing to do, but I still think we need to remember that we still have a few freedoms.  One of those freedoms is the right to make decisions we feel are best for ourselves, even if that decision is not the smartest one we could have made.  We are quick to support laws that protect us from ourselves when it is something we agree with or are already doing, but I for one I’m going to be really pissed when they outlaw beer and cheeseburgers because they make me fat and have the potential to kill me.  
smile.gif

I dunno, after so much of what we know about safety these days.
It's 2007 yaknow....smoking, seat belts, excercise, helmets...blah, blah, blah.
It's not like people are uninformed about safety.
I look at it like natural selection. Sometimes stupid people need to pass on. Kind of keeps the gene pool clean.
The moron that doesn't wear his safety gear and dies as a result, doesn't grow up to have little morons that do the same.
As cold as that may seem, I've tried countless times to convince people of wearing maximum gear to no avail. At this very moment I head a bike coming down the street, so I went out, sat on the front stoop and watched a squid with his backward baseball hat and sunglasses go whipping by. Doing roughly 45-50 in a 25mph neighborhood. (so cool...skaking head)
See! No sympathy anymore.
The only bad feeling I get is how it effects my insurance, their surviving reletives.
I do however feel heatfelt sympathy for those fallen bikers that were full geared and still didn't survive. The fact remains, WE ARE EXPOSED.
So, my personal "Thankyou" to everybody that wears the gear. Everybody else....you're on your own.
rant.gif

Back