NO HELMET

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Alex man dies in crash

Donald Raymond Mowdy, 28, was taken by Airevac to OU Medical Center after the 8:30 p.m. Sunday accident, four miles south of Anadarko on State Highway 8. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol said he was pronounced dead about an hour and a half later.

His passenger, Misty Mowdy, 28, also was taken to the OU Medical Center by Airevac. She was listed only as "stable."￾

Troopers said a car driven by Kevin Donaghey, 55, of Anadarko attempted to make a left turn onto a country road and his car was struck in the right front by the motorcycle. Cause of the crash was listed as failure to yield.

Donaghey was treated and released at Indian Hospital in Lawton. He was wearing a seat belt at the time of the accident.

Both Mowdys were thrown off the motorcycle. Neither wore a helmet, the patrol said.

I know this will spark some debate, but does it take away so much of the coolness of the bike when you're wearing a helmet that people just don't do it?

I know this will spark some debate, but does it take away so much of the coolness of the bike when you're wearing a helmet that  people just don't do it?
I dont know if it is the "coolness factor" or what. Some folks dont like helmets because they say it reduces vision, too heavy, nothing fits right, etc etc. Would you sky dive without a helmet? I wouldnt. Wearing a helmet is my choice, and if I choose to not wear one, A) Mrs Twotonevert would skin my head, B.) I feel naked without it, C.) I know the chances of surviving a head impact would be greatly reduced without one. We dont know the whole story, he may have just ran down to the store, only out for few minutes, etc. But I sincerley hope and pray that we can reduce the number of injured riders. I hate to go off on a tangent, so I will shut up. My prayers go out to their families, too young.

So sad, when will people learn, WEAR YOUR GEAR, It has a purpose, to aid in saving your LIFE! It can't be stressed enough. Your head will crack like an egg hitting the pavement. Maybe they should show motorcycle accidents when people get thier license, maybe then they'll wake up. Sorry, usually I don't get upset just sad for the people, but when you could've possibly avoided death, it's just plain stupid, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. RIP!

always wear gear. sorry thing to hear. You not only hurt or kill yourself in these situations but what about your wife and kids that depend on you.

This is sad too hear, but personally I think it looks extremly BA with a helmet. Kinda sinister if you will. Where I moved from, you did not have to wear one(utah), but I always did. personal choice though.

So sorry to read
sad.gif

If you ask my husband about wearing a lid, he'll say it's his right to NOT wear one if he chooses (though the state of VA says differently) and he'd tell you it just feels better to not have one...I suspect many feel that way, not just the Harley crowd...

It is a habit you have to get used to, but once you do, you can't imagine NOT having a lid on, IMHO
2cents.gif

I know this will spark some debate, but does it take away so much of the coolness of the bike when you're wearing a helmet that  people just don't do it?
There is quite a bit of peer pressure in the cruiser bike community to NOT wear a helmet. Also more peer pressure is there to use the same "riding outfit"￾ along with the cruiser to participate in poker runs. Of course these poker runs are generally 4-5 taverns. Of course the same peer pressure is there to have a beer or two at each stop.

I know this is not a general rule that all are this way. But the environment does exist.

Prayers to the family.

Helmet debate? me personally...
shutup.gif
It's like talking religion and politics, you can't win and you won't change the other person's view.

guns.gif
Cager not yielding..

I wish Texas would pass a mandatory helmet law. A lot of people would still be here if they did. Next to that a NO cell phone in the car unless on a hands free device.
firedevil.gif
firedevil.gif
firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif

Failure to Yield?
By which party...
Terrible in anycase.
What bugs me more is that cagers are not pressured to be more vigilant. To actually look, I mean search for a motorcycle when contemplating a left turn or any turn for that matter.
Cagers need to start being charged with manslaughter to ruffle feathers and spark a change...

That "failure to yield" business means the cager I hope. You can not just pull into traffic at random without properly checking for vehicles and have the accident blamed on the regular flow of traffic, unless that traffic is a motorcycle right? I am sick of the double standard for bikes. Prayers sent out for the family.

RIP

Coolness and peer pressure have been mentioned and I tend to agree. I'm nearing 40 and don't have anyone encouraging me to ride without my lid. In fact, I am surrounded by people who encourage me to wear it.

Truth is, I do but only 99% of the time. There is a sushi bar just 10 minutes from my house. I love to throw on boots, jeans and gloves and take my girl out for lunch. Stupid, I know. My point is that I'm not trying to be cool... I just love the feeling without my lid. Waaring one is kinda like riding in a convertible with the top up on a gorgeous day.  
super.gif

I understand the risk but still do it and will most likely continue. Perhaps the risk of not wearing a helmet feeds my need for adrenaline just like taking those corners way too fast.

I know this will spark some debate, but does it take away so much of the coolness of the bike when you're wearing a helmet that people just don't do it?
There is quite a bit of peer pressure in the cruiser bike community to NOT wear a helmet. Also more peer pressure is there to use the same "riding outfit"￾ along with the cruiser to participate in poker runs. Of course these poker runs are generally 4-5 taverns. Of course the same peer pressure is there to have a beer or two at each stop.

I know this is not a general rule that all are this way. But the environment does exist.
The Goldwing community is very pro helmet.. we get I think 15,000- 20,000 of them here every spring (Goldwing Road Riders Association convention)and it is RARE to see one without a lid on....

Me thinks it is a Harley riders issue for the most part

Wearing or not wearing a helmet is a common sense decision. When I was young and dumb, I never wore one even though the law required me to. I started to think of all the bad drivers on the road and what my head would do vs. asphalt. I now wear one all the time and so do any passengers I carry.

No doubt I agree with you guys about it being a personal choice issue. Believe it or not it was a factor in decision in my selling my Road King and buying a Hayabusa. A whole diffeent perspective on peer preasure.

And I agree about the driver of the vehicle being a fault. But now look at it this way. I'm a driver and I am involved in an accident with a motorcyclist resulting in a fatality. Let say it was a very minor accident and the motorcyclist was not wearing a helmet and suffered a blow to his head and a helmet would have prevented his death.

Now the question"¦. Do you think the motorcyclist (though now deceased) should accept some responsibility in his own death as it would have been preventable if he had not exercised his freedom of choice not to wear a helmet?

Motorcyclist always want to yell and scream about cagers (and they usually are a driver of automobiles also) and how they should be prosecuted, but in reality some of these deaths could have been easily prevented by the motorcyclist "victim"￾ themselves. It would be an interesting theory as a defense in a criminal negligent homicide or civil lawsuit. Surely it has already been addressed in the courts.

Alex man dies in crash

Troopers said a car driven by Kevin Donaghey, 55, of Anadarko attempted to make a left turn onto a country road and his car was struck in the right front by the motorcycle. Cause of the crash was listed as failure to yield.
This is not a helmet issue. To introduce a helmet issue detracts from the facts. The vehicle was struck on the right front of a left turning car. The cause of the crash was failure to yield. The cager's failure to yield caused a death.

We can mention the fact that helmets could have minimized injury and extrapolate that staying home would have prevented any injury or death, but the fact remains, a cager made a decision that caused a rider to die.

These facts would not change if the rider died with a helmet on.

Back