Another reminder

(TurboSN95 @ Jun. 03 2007,10:20) Thats too bad...

Anyone ever mount those deer-whistlers to their bikes? Maybe under the headlight area where it wouldn't be visible?
I just did on mine
under the headlight area too
last night I saw a deer standing at the side of the
staring at me.
eek2.gif

Hitting a deer is no fun on a bike...been there done that on my cruiser. It was early in the morning this past January...not yet daylight. I had just left my house heading to work and was up about 45mph when suddenly out of the darkness came a deer in full gallop. I guess I must have spooked him. We met at 90 degrees. I t-boned the deer and he fell onto my right leg. I leaned left gunned it and sped away. The luckiest day of my life. Thank God for gear...yes I always wear it even on the VSTAR...I had a very sore leg and limped for about three weeks, but it could have been so much worse
bowdown.gif

P7160070.JPG

http://keyetv.com/local/local_story_152180900.html

A link to the situation that occured on Decker Lane in Austin at the ROT this week. Unfortunately for us, we came up on it about 5-10 minutes after it happened (emergency vehicles hadn't even made it out yet). The guys head was already draped with a ROT tshirt.

We were helmetless, and the first thing my girlfriend said was "I am never going without my helmet again..."

I want to say I did not know the guy, but to see what can happen when someone is dead on the ground and they could have been saved if they had worn gear. I love being cool jetting around without a helmet, but the reality is that gear saves lives.

Sad all around...

(busaJUNKEE @ Jun. 04 2007,15:50) rip......

tell me this....why dont most riders on cruisers wear helemts?
Is it a statement of sorts?
Their argument is that helmets take away their identity
rock.gif

My hubby's one that wouldn't wear a lid if Virginia allowed it...he skirts the law by wearing illegal skid lids and he and his buddy just hate that the gov't tells 'em what to do...

I'm all for everyone being able to decide for themselves, however I appreciate the laws we do have in the hopes that it does save some lives...I've learned to live with the choices my husband makes when he rides because I'll never convince him otherwise, but I worry about our kids and how they'd feel should he go down and a head injury is what takes him from us...

rock.gif

(Rayabusa0818 @ Jun. 04 2007,13:14)

rock.gif
i think life itself is way better than losing their identity....

(busaJUNKEE @ Jun. 04 2007,16:24)
(Rayabusa0818 @ Jun. 04 2007,13:14)

rock.gif
i think life itself is way better than losing their identity....
No doubt...and I think we are pretty good at creating our own itentity with our gear...just check the picture of VA's "few friends" above....we all look pretty unique
beerchug.gif

Very interesting to see this year, that more cruiser bikers are wearing helmets. This is a very good thing.

try riding into a herd of Elk
crazy.gif

I did that in colorado on my way to Rally in the Rockies late one night between Pagosa springs and Durango, I saw some brake lights ahead and there was a car stopped so I had to stop and before I knew it there were elk all around me crossing the road. I just about shid my pants, those things were huge, I rode very slow untill I could get back on major highway
wow.gif
me on my little GSXR6 was no match for those monsters!!!

I feel real bad about riding around my nieghborhood with no helmet on, granted I only do this after working on the bike. But that habit will be changing shortly.

I wear fulface on my cruiser.But to answer the question in general.It don't look cool.
From the mouth of a man that is now dead.He always wore a helmet until he bought a HD.He was ask why he quit wearing them.He said it didn't look cool.A car ran him off the road.He died of head injuries.A helmet would have saved his life.But he'd rather look cool.
Rebelion is the big one.

Back