InfiniteReality's Gen3 Build

Straight scan, no clean up yet. Installed Fusion 360, hope to make some educational time this weekend. This is pretty amazing stuff

Sent to the printer for kicks, see how it looks in 11.5hrs

PXL_20220819_005524904.jpg

PXL_20220817_223345101.jpg

How did the print come out?

Still waiting... lol. I was on my way to bed at midnight and checked on it, extruder motor stopped working so it appeared to be printing but no filament output. Tested and no luck, thought great. Turned it on at 5 this morning and attempted to print, it worked. Just got home and still printing, 2.5hrs left. A test fit coming this evening.

May I intrude with this @InfiniteReality? Any thoughts on printing plastic socket inserts?

View attachment 1654655

Man..... How in the world have I not heard (or at least attempted searching) for something like this. With painted or powdercoated hardware this could be cool.

These are definitely doable 3d printing, but would have a couple of issues. The filament I don't think is solid enough to be able to really snug bolts down with them. It think they'd deform. If drawing/modeling them, it could be difficult to get scaling correct. When printing you have to account for expansion of the filament so have to offset anything you draw by 0.01" depending on the item. Definitely possible, just more trial and error since you'd want a perfect fit to keep them from deforming as much as possible.

I did find a couple on Thingiverse. Assuming this fits right off the bat, wonder if can simply scale down or up for other sizes. I'll have to give it a shot as is and see how it works and will report back.

When printing you have to account for expansion of the filament so have to offset anything you draw by 0.01" depending on the item. Definitely possible, just more trial and error since you'd want a perfect fit to keep them from deforming as much as possible.

To the size precision challenges: Can the part be oversized then milled down? Or are the final plastic parts "as is"?

To the size precision challenges: Can the part be oversized then milled down? Or are the final plastic parts "as is"?

That's a good question, never considered milling the part down. Not really sure how milling 3d printed parts would be. PLA does not like machine sanding as it heats/balls up pretty quick with the low melting point, but milling is different. Assuming you printed with 100% infill, I think it's doable.

The possibilities!
How about blue, grey, or yellow handlebar switch housings? lol
I think that machine paying for itself is a realistic expectation, you can probably sell quite a few parts here and on ebay/Marketplace.

I agree, just alot of factors in things. Like the switch, would have to find something durable and hold up to the direct sunlight and not deform. I really am trying to adventure into this direction and provide something useful, even if it's just to me. :) I've finally started to focus a little on this stuff again, although I know next shiny project I come up with very well may not be Hayabusa oriented and my attention with go that way for a while, lol.

These heel guards aren't as cut and dry as I expected to model. It's getting there, may print as is and see how fitment actually is. It should be close other than the contour the OEM guards have, I think I can implement that, just will be at the end.

I may start a 3D Print/Scan thread to share all the random stuff I'm tinkering with for the bike instead of my assembly thread. Plus get ideas and keep this for actual updates of the bike as a whole.

Capture1.JPG

I've had good luck with the carbon impregnated PLA. I printed a steering wheel adapter out of that stuff for my sim rig and it is incredibly strong. I imagine it would hold up better against heat also, but curious what would happen to it outside on a hot sunny day.

I've had good luck with the carbon impregnated PLA. I printed a steering wheel adapter out of that stuff for my sim rig and it is incredibly strong. I imagine it would hold up better against heat also, but curious what would happen to it outside on a hot sunny day.

What brand do you like? Required enclosure or can open print it? I'm curious, always heard about carbon infused filament and really need to look further into this.

Back