InfiniteReality's Gen3 Build

InfiniteReality

Registered
I sold my 09 at the end of November 2018. I was getting close to finishing up the Superlite Coupe (aka SLC) and also had a daughter fixing to show up, felt like the right time to sell the bike and focus on those things. Fast forward 3yrs….sold the SLC and back on 2 wheels again.

I picked up the 2022 on Feb 4th used with 510 miles on the clock for $16.5k off sticker. 3.5hrs away, cheapest in the nation at the time and seemed like things aligned so I scooped it up. Originally planned to find something closer to warmer weather, but couldn’t pass up the deal….even if I had to buy a bike in the snow. On a side note, I realized that all 3 generations I’ve purchased seemed to have all been in February….for no actual reason, just pure coincidence.

Like the 09, there will be some changes coming over the first few months of ownership. Extended arm, wider wheel, lowered, powdercoat or paint black anything that’s shiny, safety lighting module. While the new fairing bolts are actually pretty quality looking, if I can’t find some black covers for all them, I’ll just model some in CAD to resin print. I have a sneaky feeling there will be other things I’ll end up modeling in CAD to 3D print once I get into the build. I also pre-ordered a 3D scanner, so with a new bike I’m sure some stuff will get created.

I’m excited to get to run MY 420 plate again. This will be the 4th bike it’s been on and plate is 19yrs old. I may request a replacement this spring, just because it looks pretty crappy compared to the white paint, lol.

Day after I got it home, went ahead and traced the revised Kanji & Hayabusa lettering and put them in CAD. Unsure if I’ll make some overlays or replacement decals, I actually like the OEM color on this bike. WAY better than the ugly eggshell lettering on the charcoal/silver 09s.

I haven’t decided on what exhaust, other than a 4-2-1 is required with the wider arm. I don’t necessarily care about the weight savings of Brock’s CT titanium exhaust, but I really dig the muffler design over all other brands. I kind of want to wait until Yoshimura AT2 is finally released, mainly due to the price and similar muffler.

No plasti-dipping this bike. Wasn't thrilled when plasti-dip ruined the OEM paint on the 09 on dip #4. I absolutely do not believe that stuff to be safe on painted plastics.

The goal of the bike is simple... When finished, I’d like the bike to potentially appear if it came from Suzuki. No clue if it’ll turn out like I hope, but I’ll definitely be giving it a go. Of course doing all the work myself short of powdercoat and mounting tires.

ALREADY PURCHASED:
ATC +4 Swingarm, Stealth Brace
ATC OEM Replica 240 Wheel
Brock’s Lowered Bar Mount Assembly
Brock’s Adjustable Kickstand
Brock’s Adjustable Lowering Links
OEM Rear Seat Cowl
Zero Gravity Low Profile Double Bubble (Smoke)

TO PURCHASE:
Swingarm License Plate Mount
2-2.5lb Nitrous Bottle
2-2.5lb Nitrous Bottle Swingarm Mount
Brock/Yoshi/M4/Voodoo 4-2-1 Exhaust
New Image Seat Mod (like previous 2 generations)
* Maybe Helibars

PXL_20220204_151900333.jpg

PXL_20220204_152243903.jpg

PXL_20220204_183904486.jpg

PXL_20220204_205633786.jpg

PXL_20220205_000245977.jpg

PXL_20220205_000348207.jpg

PXL_20220205_000415912.jpg

PXL_20220205_000450520.jpg

PXL_20220205_000518286.jpg

PXL_20220205_010739155~2.jpg

Hopefully China will start making/painting some so I can change it up down the road.

I got to do the bikes very first oil change, I can't believe there's finally at least an access panel for filter. Seller did offer to get it done before I picked it up, but I declined. I feel better doing it myself.

Also went ahead and changed the oil in the fiddy while I had the stuff out.

PXL_20220212_174535664~2.jpg

PXL_20220212_163155026.jpg

PXL_20220212_171823774.jpg

Looks like you have a great project going there. It's also nice to see another seasoned Hayabusa owner whom is going a different direction than what the factory offered.;)

Same here, I'm excited to dig in. Especially that the timing on weather will be perfect to spend evenings out in the shop. Going to be a long couple of months but at least can enjoy what stock is like when weather allows

Because I like to repeat myself 3x on all 3 generations. This time around, I REALLY want to connect it to a matching titanium header. I just have to find someone local that can weld it...and weld it pretty. I do think this 05/06 GSXR1K pipe looks the best on this gen, the darker metal matches the kanji.

Pipe is actually in great condition considering the age, PO put it in storage and was cleaning stuff out. The marks and such is just grease, was wrapped in a plastic bag all these years.

Slowly gathering parts, next warm-ish weekend I have the time I'll do a thorough clean of the shop to get it up to par before tearing stuff apart.

PXL_20220214_213929493.jpg

PXL_20220214_213917619.jpg

PXL_20220214_214100803.jpg

That looks like a fit to me (physical & aesthetically). I will say that the transition to the GSXR can be less dramatic as the Gen 3 can does have some style to it.

I haven't pulled dimensions yet, but with the GSXR1K butterfly removed it appears it'll come pretty dang close to fitting as is. Just need a slipfit adapter welded onto the pipe. ALMOST wish there were more angles to get some of those pretty pie cut pieces welded up to finish it out.

Gen3 is by far my favorite looking exhaust and fits the bike nicely. I just gotta have more sound and more importantly the space for the wider arm. :)

Akropovic makes a gen3 full single titanium exhaust.
You can buy the headers or mufflers individually through them directly.
Same with Brock's, at least for their CT exhaust. If anyone is curious they charge $1500 for the whole CT exhaust, minus the muffler itself. I could go with the stainless for around $1000, but the angle of the pipe going to muffler is different. The CT looks like it's at a better angle for this GSXR1K pipe. Also have to factor in the O2 splitter harness for another $100ish

If Yosh would release the AT2, I'd seriously consider it if I didn't go with titanium.

I mentioned wanting to model some stuff for the Gen3 in 3D. I pre-ordered the new Creality 3D scanner last week and delivery of it should be around same time I finish the bike in April/May so I think I have my first scan project. I'll scan the exposed header pipe between the fairing and the muffler so I can model a heat shield that looks like it belongs on an aftermarket exhaust. I'll print and skin the shield in carbon or print a mold and make a full carbon shield. May could be useful for others.

Speaking of carbon, I hope to see more real carbon aftermarket stuff for the Gen3 in the future. I'd be in heaven if a place made carbon replacement pieces for all the blue/red/copper trim pieces I could buy and swap out!

Same with Brock's, at least for their CT exhaust. If anyone is curious they charge $1500 for the whole CT exhaust, minus the muffler itself. I could go with the stainless for around $1000, but the angle of the pipe going to muffler is different. The CT looks like it's at a better angle for this GSXR1K pipe. Also have to factor in the O2 splitter harness for another $100ish

If Yosh would release the AT2, I'd seriously consider it if I didn't go with titanium.

I mentioned wanting to model some stuff for the Gen3 in 3D. I pre-ordered the new Creality 3D scanner last week and delivery of it should be around same time I finish the bike in April/May so I think I have my first scan project. I'll scan the exposed header pipe between the fairing and the muffler so I can model a heat shield that looks like it belongs on an aftermarket exhaust. I'll print and skin the shield in carbon or print a mold and make a full carbon shield. May could be useful for others.

Speaking of carbon, I hope to see more real carbon aftermarket stuff for the Gen3 in the future. I'd be in heaven if a place made carbon replacement pieces for all the blue/red/copper trim pieces I could buy and swap out!
The 3-D printed heat shield transferred to cf sounds like a home run to me!
I think most of the exhausts on the gen3 look too long without a heat shield to blend the body lines, and in turn makes the whole bike look longer.
Without the gen3 heat shield reminds me of a gen2 without the belly wing.
Looking forward to see what you come up with!

The 3-D printed heat shield transferred to cf sounds like a home run to me!
I think most of the exhausts on the gen3 look too long without a heat shield to blend the body lines, and in turn makes the whole bike look longer.
Without the gen3 heat shield reminds me of a gen2 without the belly wing.
Looking forward to see what you come up with!

Totally agree, that length of round pipe looks out of place when no OEM shield, yet looks out of place with an aftermarket muffler too. I think a heat shield that follows the body lines would be a perfect addition to the bike and I think a good first 3D scan project.

I'll hit up Akra for a cost of their header, I like that over the O2 harness although Akra is never cheap, lol.

While letting the kid play in the shop last night, I took a good look at all the satin blue parts as well as the black panel below the tank to see how feasible it is to skin them in carbon fiber. Appears there is enough space between panels that I don't think it'll be too bad to fit skinned parts on the bike. With how long parts could remain off the bike while skinning them (so can still ride and won't be rushed getting parts finished).

Started a parts list, still need to take the time to find rest of the part numbers. A color change kit off ebay may be easier.

Tank Panel Right 94476-10L00
Tank Panel Left 94486-10L00
Tail Satin Blue Right XXXXXXXXXXXX
Tail Satin Blue Right XXXXXXXXXXXX
Tail Aero Center XXXXXXXXXXXX
Nose Satin Blue Right XXXXXXXXXXXX
Nose Satin Blue Left XXXXXXXXXXXX

That'll look great.
But do you not think that the cf(hydrodip or vinyl?) would show wear on the black plastic panels under the tank, from your knees and legs rubbing against it?

Solely my opinion, but if I had to choose between carbon hydrodip or vinyl, I'd just leave stock black plastic. I just can't bring myself to use fake carbon, I think I just like the real stuff that much, lol.

As far as durability between vinyl, hydrodip and skinned carbon.... Skinned carbon will be the most durable due to the hardness of the epoxy resin used.

That does bring up an idea though.... regardless of what you do to those pieces, it wouldn't be a bad idea to apply some PPF on top. I do not think it's needed for skinned carbon parts for wear issues like the others, but definitely will keep it looking shiny and not get scuffed up over time from riding.

Back