TonyM995 Gen 3 Build

TonyM995

Registered
Hey all,

My bike has 960 miles and I’ve removed the bodywork to prepare for some upgrades. I’ll probably go with the following main components with a goal of 400 whp at 7,000 ft density altitude.

Fueltech ft600
DME arm 4-8” over
MTC clutch
Turbo

The bike was 515 lbs last time at the track and I ran 9.90 @ 143 mph with 7,558 DA. I’ll be doing as much of this myself.

What’s it like riding a bike with 300+ whp? I’m interested to hear your thoughts/suggestions on this build.

C37B60EF-400F-42AE-80FE-45AB20DB6E00.jpeg

474BD222-8330-4D8D-9300-A932939AFFB2.jpeg

A2641F60-188D-4C35-9CD9-C78409EF240F.jpeg

18944B6B-54F0-456A-90F8-0F023136A39A.jpeg

Hey all,

My bike has 960 miles and I’ve removed the bodywork to prepare for some upgrades. I’ll probably go with the following main components with a goal of 400 whp at 7,000 ft density altitude.

Fueltech ft600
DME arm 4-8” over
MTC clutch
Turbo

The bike was 515 lbs last time at the track and I ran 9.90 @ 143 mph with 7,558 DA. I’ll be doing as much of this myself.

What’s it like riding a bike with 300+ whp? I’m interested to hear your thoughts/suggestions on this build.

View attachment 1657760

View attachment 1657761

View attachment 1657762

View attachment 1657764
best of lucks....!!

What is the benefit of a turbo over a supercharger? Are you doing a single or a twin turbo? Are you concerned about lag? I guess the quickshifter mostly takes care of the lag problem. Is this a street or a track build? Wishing you all the best with it, and look forward to seeing it completed.
To me the main benefit is turbo has more potential but they cost a lot more. I believe most people would be better off with a TTS s/c kit. I’ll use my bike on the street and track.

@smithabusa what do you think of Fueltech? RCC said he’s not a fan. They are used on a lot of high HP cars and I like their dash a lot more than the stock Busa dash. Why don’t more motorcycle guys use them? Obviously having to wire the entire bike from scratch is not something the average person would want to do but I want to do it and have the time/money to do.

I’m thinking the bike will be lighter and it moves the remaining weight forward on the bike.

Hi @TonyM995, could you please tell me what are the Brembo parts number of your master cylinders (clutch & brake) ? I'm going to do the upgrade probably by christmas but I saw different part number for the brake.
Thanks

Hi @Armoni76 I bought my brake from Sportbike track gear who is in Michigan. This is the link but both the brake and clutch are RCS 19.

I’m not a fan of the clutch reservoir bracket and will modify it this winter.

I bought the clutch mc from Revzilla. It’s the RCS19 also and showing out of stock right now.

Hi @Armoni76 I bought my brake from Sportbike track gear who is in Michigan. This is the link but both the brake and clutch are RCS 19.

I’m not a fan of the clutch reservoir bracket and will modify it this winter.

I bought the clutch mc from Revzilla. It’s the RCS19 also and showing out of stock right now.
Yeah, you're right about the bracket, it is way too high. Can you see the dashboard correctly with both reservoir ?

@smithabusa what do you think of Fueltech? RCC said he’s not a fan. They are used on a lot of high HP cars and I like their dash a lot more than the stock Busa dash. Why don’t more motorcycle guys use them? Obviously having to wire the entire bike from scratch is not something the average person would want to do but I want to do it and have the time/money to do.

I’m thinking the bike will be lighter and it moves the remaining weight forward on the bike.
I personally like Maxx a lot better, I have been spending a TON of time reverse engineering the stock gen3 dash to be able to control it using a MAxx, and be able to send mode settings etc from the dash to the Maxx.

For CAN related stuff, which there is a LOT of it on a gen3 busa, the Maxx does very well, i dont think the FUELTECH allows complete CAN control like the Maxx does.

I did wire a FT550 on a sand trike (600hp) gen1 busa setup, and thought it was okay, the dash is cool, but from a software standpoint and flexibility i really liked Maxx.

All of the mode buttons on the the handle bars etc talk to the dash, and then that data goes out over CAN. SO with a maxx I can use them to all kinds of fun stuff without consuming actual physical digital or analog inputs, with the dash gone you would lose that.

Thanks for your thoughts @smithabusa!!! With the Maxx it sounds like you can have different maps for the different modes or use the mode buttons for other stuff. It also seems Maxx has an auto tune module for AFR. Thanks for your contribution to the community and thoughts here. I appreciate you.

Fueltech doesn’t have a ton of inputs so to keep turn signals and add the other inputs I need for boost control, the ft550 doesn’t have enough inputs for me.

Thanks for your thoughts @smithabusa!!! With the Maxx it sounds like you can have different maps for the different modes or use the mode buttons for other stuff. It also seems Maxx has an auto tune module for AFR. Thanks for your contribution to the community and thoughts here. I appreciate you.

Fueltech doesn’t have a ton of inputs so to keep turn signals and add the other inputs I need for boost control, the ft550 doesn’t have enough inputs for me.
Correct if you check out some of my videos you can see my showing dash modes on stock dash and maxxecu with no stock ecu, controlling just about every thing in the stock dash with a maxxecu.

For 99% of people a Maxx with the plug and play box that Greg is making will be the best option. When doing that I still recommend you RTFM (Read The Fn Manual) and Google your questions before taking up his time.

Why did I choose Fueltech? I believe in the company and they specialize in making cars with more power than traction go down the track. I’ve heard that’s what a turbo busa is like.

Todays delivery:
44DAF62C-B4A5-4935-833D-8856D6BBE076.jpeg

Fueltech’s ft700 is coming soon:

I want to wire up the entire bike and remove everything I don’t need. Then learn the Fueltech before I’m turbo; which will help with the learning curve. I’ll start mapping out all of the sensors tomorrow and hopefully be able to order what I’m missing asap.

If you haven’t seen this guys videos they are funny and good entertainment. Plus you can often learn something. :)

Thanks Fernando!!

Anyone interested in a Maxxecu you can download and play with their software and can also download the Fueltech software before you purchase the product. I highly recommend doing this.

Troubleshooting issues that come up without a data log is doing it blindfolded compared to having logs to look at.

The fun part is setting up the 4 configurable dashboards:
FA6601EF-3CF4-4892-BA01-07DCCA7EC4F7.jpeg

you can also configure a splash screen. I’m on the left and my friend said he looks like he’s trying to figure out how to get me to F him hahahaha.
80333B9E-13AF-4AB4-A591-DC34E78C6B33.jpeg

That’s fun but what I’m actually doing is reading a stack of manuals and building out the wiring harness diagram. Not sexy at all. :)
0D8547AB-1C57-4C0A-A626-A6F3E4F560B4.jpeg

Back