TonyM995 Gen 3 Build

Got the harness out this morning, easy peasy. Then went through each connector and determined what I’m missing. Also mocked up the Spark Pro 4 and Wideband harnesses to see how I’ll route them.

@13B-RX3 I’m going to figure out a fuse block so I can leave the factory harness in tact.

I’ll probably go to a local fabricator to help mount the dash and make a bracket to hang the Spark Pro. Send cut send is another option if I can come up with something myself.

9B11D2A2-E984-4EF1-A154-4ACAE07B9778.jpeg

Of the connectors I got, the ones one the left don’t fit and on the right do. I emailed David and itemized what’s missing. I’m sure that will take time to sort out.
414A6212-2AF1-488A-832C-B381A2179D58.jpeg

Yeah the view of the dash is good enough for me. I have a 1 Stop Speed lowering top clamp and Unit 5 clipons. It was weird to get used to launching hard with the Brembo clutch m/c but I got the hang of it.

View attachment 1657799

I also didn't like how high the reservoir sat. I ended up mounting to the bottom bolts and still shorted the clutch reservoir mount. I don't know if the same will work for the gen 3 but it's an option.

20221202_124420.jpg

is it the gen 2 connector set and you’re just going to figure out what’s different in the gen 3 and he’ll swap em out?
Yeah and that’s okay because he said from the start that he didn’t know what all connectors are required for a Gen 3.

My problem is with his behavioral patterns. He stated it would ship out the week of 11/28. I heard nothing from him and after two weeks of waiting I emailed him on 12/12 asking for an update.

I try hard to be a good customer. The last thing I want is a vendor to groan when the see or hear from me. Good vendors can and should fire bad customers.

Luckily I’m a software engineer by trade and the hardest part of all this for me is over. I had zero clue about how electricity works but now I’ve educated myself and it’s pretty much the same as what I do just a different type of data.

Instead of sending data between a server and client. Data is sent between sensors and the ecu (in the form of electrical signals).

I’m super happy with the route I went. There are growing pains that I’m dealing with that anyone else who goes this route won’t have to experience. Liguori will know what connectors are needed for a Gen 3 when I finish cataloging then and sending pictures of them. I’ll be doing that all weekend.

MPS also sells Fueltech it seems so I could have bought from them but didn’t know.

Ligouri is probably the best person to buy it from, but I think he’s just one guy so he’s probably pretty busy around this time. But he’s like “the” fueltech guy. I’m gonna buy mine from him if I go fueltech, which I’m leaning towards. And you’re helping all the gen3 people that follow too so that’s cool

Did I mention that I have zero experience tuning a standalone? I recommend staying in your lane when it comes to choosing what you will do yourself. I’m not a fabricator and never will be. I do have the skill set for what I’ve set out to accomplish and am educating myself along the way.

I used woolich and the copy paste of auto tune is beyond easy and boring for me. I love data and want to dig into the logs and think about all the stuff going on in the engine.

Street Car Joe put out this short the other day about why he does everything himself. I agree but don’t have the skill set to be a good fabricator.

I definitely see myself helping others learn to tune and sharing what I learn with those interested.

Ligouri is probably the best person to buy it from, but I think he’s just one guy so he’s probably pretty busy around this time. But he’s like “the” fueltech guy. I’m gonna buy mine from him if I go fueltech, which I’m leaning towards. And you’re helping all the gen3 people that follow too so that’s cool
Yeah I’m a transparent person and just want to share my experiences both good and bad. I emailed him last night asking for better communication. Everyone is busy, myself included. I’ll never post only good things or the opposite of being negative all the time.

The main thing you get from him is connectors and a good base map which is him walking through an initial configuration with information I could never find out on my own or it would take me forever. This is a tremendous benefit of buying through him.

I’d download the FT manager and browse around to see if you like the look and feel. I’ve also downloaded MaxxECU MTune and have been looking at things like how to set dwell time.

59DF123F-C6DE-43ED-8942-A6C80A9CD612.jpeg

Everyone seems to have a preference. I just want to learn to tune well and I’ll tune on any software. Same with my work- I could care less about what the branding looks like because I work with the data inside.

96ECC024-E207-4035-A170-D1846D5DFDCE.jpeg

David replied to me and said he’s busy with inventory and year end taxes plus family. I understand all of that and my ask to him was just let me know if it will take a week to answer me.

An hour later he emailed me a base map which is extremely helpful.

This is what I came up with. I’ve got a rare 5 gallon bucket seat, one of a kind! My label maker, service manual, and stock harness.

0FEDD5E2-4BB2-4310-A0A2-9645A4780611.jpeg

I’m going through every pin configured in the base map David created and giving myself notes. This way I can identify missing connectors and share this Google doc with him (or others) along with a picture of the connector that I need.

This is all I have time for today but I wanted to share my progress! Now I feel some relief!
3651ED00-AADD-4B96-AE65-FC82C11FC8C3.jpeg

I think we can all agree the BEST support is likely to come from Greg ‘Boost by’ Smith. Especially for a plug and play for the Gen 3 that’s he’s creating.

@greg3852 that Motec is sick and he’s even got a picture of the Tasmanian devil in the last one. Talk about configurable. Very nice.

@smithabusa hahaha right off the bat when you said “this takes so much longer than you would think”. Yeah that’s exactly how I feel right now.

At least I’ve progressed from trying to draw chicken scratch on a notepad to Google docs. :laugh:

@greg3852 that Motec is sick and he’s even got a picture of the Tasmanian devil in the last one. Talk about configurable. Very nice.

@smithabusa hahaha right off the bat when you said “this takes so much longer than you would think”. Yeah that’s exactly how I feel right now.

At least I’ve progressed from trying to draw chicken scratch on a notepad to Google docs. :laugh:
Yeah the few full on custom harnesses ive done versus plug and play were like 3 12 hour days, and that was after planning stuff out.

I typically spend a couple/few hours in excel mapping everything out before I start with wiring.

Well then I don’t feel so bad for how slow going it is. I still haven’t even ordered a crimper so yeah it’s going to be a while for me to get it all done. Good thing it’s winter!

It’s awesome that others can skip straight to tuning and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

How is the Maxx auto tune? It seems good enough to get someone going and makes me want to promote that feature if it’s good. The woolich is beyond easy to use.

Well then I don’t feel so bad for how slow going it is. I still haven’t even ordered a crimper so yeah it’s going to be a while for me to get it all done. Good thing it’s winter!

It’s awesome that others can skip straight to tuning and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

How is the Maxx auto tune? It seems good enough to get someone going and makes me want to promote that feature if it’s good. The woolich is beyond easy to use.
I personally love just about everything in the maxx, the auto tune stuff works nice as long as you use your head.

Are you planning to run all 4 throttle position sensors?

See that makes me want to promote the Maxx even more. I’m also seeing how bias I am but fast drag racing is a lot of tuning and I really like that part of the hobby.

Yes he’s got Throttle 1A and 1B then Pedal 1A and 1B is on the second harness.

Here are the inputs on the base map he sent me this morning. All he sent was an empty email with this map attached so I’m just going through it and figuring it out myself.

8B1A9DA7-05AB-40A8-8FB5-7AAAF7A3B307.jpeg

See that makes me want to promote the Maxx even more. I’m also seeing how bias I am but fast drag racing is a lot of tuning and I really like that part of the hobby.

Yes he’s got Throttle 1A and 1B then Pedal 1A and 1B is on the second harness.

Here are the inputs on the base map he sent me this morning. All he sent was an empty email with this map attached so I’m just going through it and figuring it out myself.

View attachment 1659311
In case you don't know

Engine stop/run
Sidestand
Starter input and output

Are all handled in suzuki ecu

Back