InfiniteReality's Gen3 Build

been going down the rabbit hole because of your post. I bought a 3D printer just so I could make moulds for forging. Still waiting on the PETG to come in and then the fun will begin. Check out this fender eliminator I’ve been working on.

B5D741BC-649B-4C63-ADC1-5738E68ADEB8.jpeg

D135F10D-5E87-49A6-B116-042AA7CB4332.jpeg

CFFD560A-E8AF-4747-B555-9C0A03501C16.jpeg

0F75480F-3E2A-452D-A45D-624EED57E5DD.jpeg

been going down the rabbit hole because of your post. I bought a 3D printer just so I could make moulds for forging. Still waiting on the PETG to come in and then the fun will begin. Check out this fender eliminator I’ve been working on.

Hell yes, glad to hear someone else jumped down this rabbit hole! That plate light housing looks spot on, great fit. What printer? What do you draw in? Plans for a scanner?

I assume forging carbon? I tried PETG, TPU and PLA with no real benefit to use anything but PLA since they're one use items for me. Although last couple of parts actually popped out of the PLA molds with little effort.

Lunch time drew up my little heat shield, 55mm each way from the weld. I'll print when I get home to test fit, make any changes and start printing the mold.

Also have been working on another 3d project for the bike in secret. Never posted anything about it because the motivation caught me one day I was off and it kinda snowballed from my original plan (it got physically larger than intended). I really thought I'd have a final print after 2 weeks, but this part is large...... 750g of filament, I have to print in halves and each half takes up the full bed. I have to make last set of changes and print, should be good to share.

Capture.JPG

Hell yes, glad to hear someone else jumped down this rabbit hole! That plate light housing looks spot on, great fit. What printer? What do you draw in? Plans for a scanner?

I assume forging carbon? I tried PETG, TPU and PLA with no real benefit to use anything but PLA since they're one use items for me. Although last couple of parts actually popped out of the PLA molds with little effort.

Lunch time drew up my little heat shield, 55mm each way from the weld. I'll print when I get home to test fit, make any changes and start printing the mold.

Also have been working on another 3d project for the bike in secret. Never posted anything about it because the motivation caught me one day I was off and it kinda snowballed from my original plan (it got physically larger than intended). I really thought I'd have a final print after 2 weeks, but this part is large...... 750g of filament, I have to print in halves and each half takes up the full bed. I have to make last set of changes and print, should be good to share.

View attachment 1670438
Bambu labs x1-c…. No scanner just yet and I’m modeling in SOLIDWORKS. All prototypes are in PLA because of cost. This one is PLA-CF. I’ve ordered some different filaments from MatterHackers but I’m waiting on them to arrive. I’ve been told that PETG is great for forge moulds so I got 1kg of that on order. What do you think about scanners? Seems like it could speed modeling time dramatically!

Bambu labs x1-c…. No scanner just yet and I’m modeling in SOLIDWORKS. All prototypes are in PLA because of cost. This one is PLA-CF. I’ve ordered some different filaments from MatterHackers but I’m waiting on them to arrive. I’ve been told that PETG is great for forge moulds so I got 1kg of that on order. What do you think about scanners? Seems like it could speed modeling time dramatically!

Ive heard good things about those printers, jealous! I bought the Creality Lizard on the Kickstarter for half the price. Had no plans for it but knew it was coming, lol.

I thought the same on making it quicker. It kinda does but the scan is only for reference. Eliminates need to measure, just use the scan.

Printed the shield. I thought shorter may look better, but now printing one longer to where the bend in midpipe starts. See which looks better or need to go all the way to the connection.

Printed and glued the sprocket cover to test fit soon.

PXL_20230912_010619752.jpg

PXL_20230912_010626624.jpg

PXL_20230912_015049783.jpg

Seriously, I bought a printer because I saw you make those heel guards and I saw the price for those intake stacks, plus I always wanted to work with CF. Most of the stuff I was looking at was vacuum moulding but your post made me dive off into the deep end of research…. Wheels seemed like a cool project but an autoclave was necessary and I would need some more material science classes to understand the limitations of CF and resin. I only trust a simulation so much before I need to do some actual test to failure. This is pretty resource intensive from a financial perspective so for now, I’ll stick to items that dont interface with the ground.

Seriously, I bought a printer because I saw you make those heel guards and I saw the price for those intake stacks, plus I always wanted to work with CF. Most of the stuff I was looking at was vacuum moulding but your post made me dive off into the deep end of research…. Wheels seemed like a cool project but an autoclave was necessary and I would need some more material science classes to understand the limitations of CF and resin. I only trust a simulation so much before I need to do some actual test to failure. This is pretty resource intensive from a financial perspective so for now, I’ll stick to items that dont interface with the ground.

Made my day reading that, at least at this point some of the R&D on the 3d print, forged carbon process has been worked out to get legit parts. I'm 100% with you, not sure how much you can trust said parts for safety. Another part that scares me away from heavy duty applications of forged is the whole what if ratio isn't accurate or make a mistake. The part can look great, but too much/little epoxy can make all the difference. But like you said, that's when prepreg and autoclave comes in.

I haven't made a carbon part since the heel guards and was overdue for a break on the MiniGP bike so back to the busa, the more I look, the more ideas I find to make/practice this "art".

One piece I really would like to make is the top triple. Only thing holding me back is the fact I'd have to press in threaded inserts and not confident in them to keep the triple together.

Test fitted my extended exhaust shield before work. I think I'm heading the right way so at lunch I modeled the bends so the shield can go all the way to the end of the slipfit. Notch at the end for the spring clamp.

The triple clamp is complicated. You need rigidity and flex in the appropriate places and it's a complicated shape so the analysis gets crazy, Hell even a company like Honda can't get it right!

Made my day reading that, at least at this point some of the R&D on the 3d print, forged carbon process has been worked out to get legit parts. I'm 100% with you, not sure how much you can trust said parts for safety. Another part that scares me away from heavy duty applications of forged is the whole what if ratio isn't accurate or make a mistake. The part can look great, but too much/little epoxy can make all the difference. But like you said, that's when prepreg and autoclave comes in.

I haven't made a carbon part since the heel guards and was overdue for a break on the MiniGP bike so back to the busa, the more I look, the more ideas I find to make/practice this "art".

One piece I really would like to make is the top triple. Only thing holding me back is the fact I'd have to press in threaded inserts and not confident in them to keep the triple together.

Test fitted my extended exhaust shield before work. I think I'm heading the right way so at lunch I modeled the bends so the shield can go all the way to the end of the slipfit. Notch at the end for the spring clamp.
Have you seen where you can mould wire like rebar into your design? It might help to form the threadcerts into the mould so you can cast them directly into the part without press fitting….. something like thread a printed bolt through the mould body and then thread the certs onto printed bolt. Not sure it this is making any sense.

Have you seen where you can mould wire like rebar into your design? It might help to form the threadcerts into the mould so you can cast them directly into the part without press fitting….. something like thread a printed bolt through the mould body and then thread the certs onto printed bolt. Not sure it this is making any sense.

Makes perfect sense, embed it into the part when doing the mold. Definitely doable that way.

I agree fallen, too much engineering to feel safe running one. I'd def consider getting the model CNCd. I quoted the one I designed for the MiniGP in 7075 aluminum, $400 shipped.

Something I've been working on for the past few weeks. With cooler weather coming I needed a way to carry my light jacket liner. It started off simple as just a rectangle that went straight down from hatch area, but then I got carried away to make as large as I could

3D scanned the undertail and went from there. I tried to get maximum space without making too complicated to draw. Lot more angles than I expected under there, thanks Suzuki! The bottom is curved to not be seen from the side.

Mounted with 4 bolts and lock nuts. Just held it up and drilled holes thru undertail and extended trunk, low profile heads inside it. There's 2 of the same with the heads under the computer and just long enough so no bolt sticks out of the nut to scratch myself. Also suction them down so doesn't seem like it's compressed much on the computer, but will be keeping eye on everything.

56hr print, plastic welded together. I am lowered and running a HD spring, 90mm of clearance. I think I'm okay, rubs undertail a tad already but further back. Intended to spray visible area flat black but got excited and forgot. This isn't final one, I'll either spray exterior in bed liner or maybe skin the visible side in flat forged carbon?

Milk for comparison, since that's how us old timers know this mod's genesis.

Image1.jpg

PXL_20230915_233802273~2.jpg

PXL_20230915_234004358~2.jpg

PXL_20230915_234305086~2.jpg

PXL_20230915_233904478.jpg

PXL_20230915_232713845.jpg

PXL_20230915_232649945.jpg

PXL_20230915_232509476.jpg

PXL_20230915_225319992.jpg

PXL_20230915_225243572.jpg

Back