How much motorcycling experience before buying the Busa?

I started riding when I was 15 on a scooter, then when I was 18 I bought a 1979 KZ250...After that I have had about 15 other bikes in the last 11 years...I bought my BUSA shortly after my 29th birthday...So a total of about 14 years riding experience about 16 bikes and a few hundred thousand miles of riding...All before buying a BUSA...

About 3000 miles on my BUSA so far and Im loving this machine more each time I ride it...Best fitting bike for my height I have owned since my Harley V-Rod...

I am 61...got my 1st bike (Bug Engineering "Flea", Clinton 2 stroke minibike) FIFTY YEARS AGO at 11 yrs old. Since then 71 motorcycles (I actually have them all written down on a napkin somewhere!). Sure wish I kept em all. Raydog

Right On raydog. I will be 60 this year, been riding for 45 yrs and the 'Busa is the most fun I have ever had on a motorcycle. I have owned about 14 motorcycles (Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Triumph, Aprilia, Harley) and rode the piss out of all of them. :thumbsup:

Raydog is just a pup...................try 64 on for size! A lot of this age thing is purely mental and if you feel young and are in good physical shape, I say go for it. I know of two guys in Washington State that are over 70 and still throwing a leg over their beloved busas.
Anyway, I started out on a brand new GS-1000EX back in 1978 and haven't had the time nor the inclination to look back since!

I wanna say I was looking at the portal the other day and saw an 81 year young member ...

my first bike was a 1975 honda mr 250 elsinor then a 1985 honda nighthawk 700s
then a suzuki rm465 and them the busa
never look back....

81???? Whew!!
I'm sure you saw that movie............"Wild Hogs" with John Travolta..............well here is a pic of the "Sierra Fogs" :laugh:
(I'm the second on the left with the camera).

Attachments

• THE FOGs.bmp
    950.7 KB · Views: 242
when i was 7 years old on dirt bikes still doing that when i can and started on street when was 19 busa was second street bike started on zx6r, still on the busa... best bike ever... I dont ever want to get rid of it

Since i was 9, had at least 1 bike ever since i started all were dirt bikes until the last 12 years, which has been pretty much all street bikes. still have one dirt bike. gotta keep at least one

Last edited:
You are 61 and you ride a busa? Wow. At 25 i thought im a Older sportbiker considering the fact that here mostly teens and guys in their early 20s have em. Apparently not.

Average age for a busa owner is 45 and the average time before an insurance claim on one is 18 months... hense the CRAZY spendy insurance. (that is from some insurance database I found when looking for quotes).

I rode some dirt/enduro when young, then I beat the piss out of an old 86 yamaha radian 600. I probably have about 10-15k miles on before I bought a busa. (used 2003). I am a young busa owner (25) but I am also a trauma nurse/medic and have seen some pretty nasty wrecks.. hense it keeps me from doing anything too stupid. Go fast? oh yeah, but in the middle of nowhere!!!!! and I know my limits on cornering (would love to take a track day sometime!) :thumbsup::whistle:

Last edited:
Since I was 16... started with a Ninja 500 since then have owned the following:
ZX-6R
Katana 750
ZX-7RR
ZX-9R
R1 (what was i thinking lol)
ZX-10R (miss that bike)
and now the
06 Busa

Love it and wont go back... btw i am going to be 34 this year

Started on a honda 70, moved to two stroke crossers, went big bore for the power,,, got my street license the same day as my car license when I turned 16. Not gonna type out all the bikes but let me say, no regrets and the Busa is sweet. I like a little honk outta my ride.... I still have a yz 400, But dirt seems to hurt more than it used to for me. NO wait, I think it hurt more before :poke: Two wheels = :thumbsup: :welcome:

The majority of people here who own busa's are between 35 and late 40's i think.

I'm 57 and love my 'Busa. It's even faster than my Z06 'Vette! (Old geezers like to have fun, too!!) My first bike was back in 1971, before most of you guys were born. My 'Busa is the only vehicle I have ever had that I can truly say: "this thing is fast enough, just like it is!"

CW

I had 13 months of prior riding experience, on a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Cruiser. 7 months with normal handle bars, 6 months with 18" ape hangers.

I have never looked back. 24 years old, love to go ride, no stunt rider here.

Last edited:
I started riding in the dirt at age 10 or 11. Went through a couple dirt bikes, RM125 and an RM 250 then got into three wheelers and went through a Honda 250R and two Yahmaha TriZ 250s.

Bought my first street bike at 16, Early 80s model Suzuki 650 Temptre
By age 18 I had bought an 82 GS1100 with an 1170 kit and learned what drag racing was all about. By 21 I had toned down a bit and bought a 550 Honda Shadow. I quit riding shortly after that.

Along comes 2008, had a 16 year break and I decided to take it up again. Bought a 600 Katana last spring, after a month on it and about 1000 miles I knew I needed a bigger bike. In came the Busa, traded the Kat for it and been happy ever since. :thumbsup:

Here's to all of you and a special acknowledgement to us "veterans"! The below pics were taken 2 weeks after my 61st birthday. Yeah baby! (stayen in front of an R-1 and gixxer 1000) am I braggin? yup

Raydog

MF1A0203.JPG

MF1A1348.JPG

rode a few, but the busa was by far the biggest and meanest... I think for newbies, riding a busa in traffic without sufficient practice will be tricky, or probably very unsafe. It's a heavy beast, and going slow can be tricky at first. As long as you do your practice in say an empty parking lot til you get a hang of it you should be ok. Do your ankle/knee stretching first!

I started out in the dirt back when I was 7 yrs old(back in the 70's). Rode mostly dirt bikes until college, my roommate had a Katana 600 (1993 was the year). That was the first street bike that I rode. Then the bug hit me in 2002. I went out & bought a Silver/Silver 2002 brand new busa. That was my first street bike that I owned. In 2004 I traded my 04 for an 04 Blue/Silver busa.

Lots of years/lots of bikes :laugh: Started small and worked my way up :thumbsup: Only prob is I was maxing out the busa as soon as I got it.....I had to start modding almost instantly to keep my need for speed satisfied. I'm now in the process of installing a turbo on my 14 :laugh:

Here's to all of you and a special acknowledgement to us "veterans"! The below pics were taken 2 weeks after my 61st birthday. Yeah baby! (stayen in front of an R-1 and gixxer 1000) am I braggin? yup

Raydog

61 years old rockin a busa on a track ?? Dude, I have to give mad props to that.
I hope I'm as active and cool as that at 61. :bowdown::bowdown:

I'm 34, got my 2005 Busa new in 2005. Traded in my first bike for it. 2003 Yamaha R6 I bought new too.

Last edited:
Been riding over 9 years....I got my first busa at 26 and I'll be 27 in a couple months:laugh:

Back