How much experience needed before a Busa?

I'm 46. Been riding various bikes off and on for nearly 30 years now. Have about 700 miles on my Busa (an 03) and the more you get used to it the more you realize that you have to grow into its capabilities. I had a GSX 1100 that was about 220 RWHP. It was an obnoxious uncomfortable scaringly brutal fast machine. The Busa can be as docile as you like. Where I find you have to be caereful is, not realizing how fast it propels you to speed. The acceleration is continous and constant and so smooth it fools you. You don't realize just how fast and easy it took you to 115 in 3rd gear without even trying to.

It is as fast as my 1100 but it is much more civilised in the way it goes about its business. One of the previous post I wholeheartedly agree with. We spend 90% of our time doing the slow traffic moves rather than the race bred high speed manuevers. The Busa can do it all, but I will admit, it likes to go fast and it makes you pay attention to it. Too much throttle, to quickly and something IS goinng to happen either on the front end or the back end.

It can burn rubber for blocks if you ask it to. It can ride a wheelie in probably 3 or 4 gears (I have never left the ground yet on mine), or it can tool along at 40 MPH and 2500 rpm in 6th gear and all you do is simply wind on throttle and it pulls itself through the low end effortlessly. It is as tame as you want. But it takes awhile to get used to her manners and the urge to twist that throttle quickly sometimes gets the best of you. I had a GSX 750 roll up on me at a light. It was piped and cammed etc. He was feeling pretty good about his bike. Askd how I liked my Busa. I said fine but still new to me. He said I wonder how my bike will do against it. I said well I'm a new rider so you can probably get the best of me. We rolled out of the green light and he opened his up and I twisted the throttle and the 750 looked like it was going backwards in comparison. I wasn't even trying that hard. We rolled up to the next light and he was shaking is head, saying man that was amazing. I said why did you let off? He said I never let off I was doing all I could to keep up. You simply don't appreciate the ease at which you reach dangerously quick speeds.

I have yet to take it past 7500 RPM and only once has it seen WOT in my 700 miles of riding her. That was only brief as the front wheel began to leave the grips of gravity at about 4500 RPM.

This bike is super easy to ride and it is super easy to get dead on if you don't pay attention and respect what it is capable of. Just when you think you have felt the power band you simply crack the throttle some more and she gives you more than you have ever experienced in all your other bikes. I am way more confident now than I was even 2 weeks ago. I am way more confident in the turns now. Way more expectant of the thrust and way more aware of the risk that come with becoming complacent.

She still has more to give me than I have asked of her and right now that keeps me alive. This is not the bike to be macho man on in the beginning. Trust me EVERYONE else on a bike knows what she has for a reputation. Don't let them egg you into something you are not ready for. My g/f LOVES speed. Cars bikes, whatever. She rode on the back and got off and said I don't want to ride it. It is way to fast. I was dumbfounded. She has NEVER said anything was too fast,and I have had her in some fast toys.

Be mature, take your time, get used to her slow speeds and hold on and pucker up as she shows you the rest of what she can effortlessly do. This is NOT a bike that lets you take her lightly. She has way more capabilities than you have right now. Respect that and learn from it.

(TallTom @ Sep. 22 2006,05:25) I had a GSX 1100 that was about 220 RWHP.  
Did I read that right?
rock.gif
220 to the wheel?

I'ld say qualify for for an Iron Butt certificate....and have some level headed friends. Then it's Busa time.
beerchug.gif

You abuse her, she'll bite you...and hard.
The biggest deal about the Busa is the weight...the average sportbike weighs in around 300~400lbs ...where as we are at 500. Stopping / slow turns / and other low speed activities that define the Busa's challenge for most. Anybody can go fast, but can they handle a small amount of sand or some wet leaves in a parking lot???
zzwhip.gif

What Shibumi said about a buddy system is good advice. Do that as much as possible if you can.

--Wag--

my first bike bought in april have 4600 miles and love it just never forget about your right wrist and u won't regret it

I'm 44, and bought mine in May. I had dirt experience many years ago, and brief street riding hours. This year, I put 300 miles on my kids 600, took the MSF course, and went to the dealership. I now have 7500 miles on her in 4 months. Can't begin to tell you how smooth and powerful the Busa is. Like everyone in this thread agrees, it's just an amazing machine. If you are a responsible person, you will be fine. I don't have to tell you to start out slow, because after reading this thread you already know that.
Enjoy!
It's the best sport-type transportation decision I've ever made.

Hi, I'm 45 and my first bike was a 1984 Ninja back in '84...I put 11k miles on it in 1 year. HAvent been on a bike since I test drove a zx-11 in '89.. Am I ok for a Busa? I have never done a wheelie or any crazy stuff, just a burnout:p Thanks!

If a crazy 23 yr old like me did it back in jan and is still alive i dont see how anyone else cant do it.RESPECT the bike and youll be okay.Dont pretend that you are a 18 yr old trying to impress the girls.

i rode my mom's harleys for like 800-1000miles, took the motorcycle class to get my license (before harleys), then i got my busa. first bike i owned. bought it before i was 19, now almost 21, and put 7000miles on it in past year or so. tore it apart and going turbo (250hp). i have driven/built with friends some very fast cars before (13'2, 12's, 11's, almost tens...), so i knew a little bit about the shear power of fast vehicles.

still, its a fast bike, but i went about it with the attitude that when you pull back the throttle it is fast, and if you dont, its not going to suprise you. go SLOW. take it easy. i rode it for a month before i even went above 7-8k rpms.

cagers may hit you but i am used to that enough from the harleys, the real diff i saw was i would get a little too much speed before a hard turn and would kinda freak. wasn't good enough for hard cornering, so...but was ok, never got into trouble thankfully.

BEST BIKE EVER. probably never going to buy another bike, except a newer busa maybe....

Everybody has to start somewhere so get the  bike you like & learn how to ride it.
Take the riders safety course.
Wear gear.
Learn how to read traffic & position your bike in traffic.
If you see a vehicle that looks like crap there's probably a turd behind the wheel so steer clear of it.
Practice slow maneuvers in a shopping mall parking lot. When you can do figure 8's lock to lock on the steering head using only throttle & clutch without putting your foot down your getting the hang of it.
For smooth throttle application use the right bar end to rest the outside of your palm on. Thumb & index around the throttle, 3rd  finger covering the brake.
Enjoy.

(Churchkey @ Sep. 23 2006,03:44) Everybody has to start somewhere so get the  bike you like & learn how to ride it.
Take the riders safety course.
Wear gear.
Learn how to read traffic & position your bike in traffic.
If you see a vehicle that looks like crap there's probably a turd behind the wheel so steer clear of it.
Practice slow maneuvers in a shopping mall parking lot. When you can do figure 8's lock to lock on the steering head using only throttle & clutch without putting your foot down your getting the hang of it.
For smooth throttle application use the right bar end to rest the outside of your palm on. Thumb & index around the throttle, 3rd  finger covering the brake.
Enjoy.
All good advice. My wife and I practice in the parking lot all the time. I wouldn't pass it up and I've been riding some form of 2-wheel machine for 25+ years.

It's also made it possible for the wiff to make a safe transition to a Gixxer 1000 after only riding for a year. Now that she's creeping up on a year with the Gixxer, she's doing VERY well.

Funny thing is, I can do the lock to lock figure eights and other complicated slow speed maneuvers all day on the Busa but I can't do 'em on the Gixxer. Interesting how the dynamic of what you ride can change your perspective and keep you humble.

--Wag--

(gtrpimp76 @ Sep. 22 2006,13:36)
(TallTom @ Sep. 22 2006,05:25) I had a GSX 1100 that was about 220 RWHP.  
Did I read that right?  
rock.gif
 220 to the wheel?
Yep. That bike was obnoxiously fast. It was a race prepped engine, made all its power above 8K. I had an employee that did race bikes on the side (Daytona races) and I sort of fell into the bike when he got in a pinch with a customer of his. It was lightened and had a race clutch in it. Also shifted backwards. Heavy duty carbon brakes which were a royal pain in the arse until they warmed up, then they stopped so hard you worry about doing an end over. You either got a lumbering rough running challange at low speeds or you got a holy crap hold on and prey to your god, rip your arms off acceleration at high RPMs. There wasn't much in between with that bike. It was meant to be on the track and I was stupid for thinking it was streetable fun.

(smokin_gunz @ Sep. 22 2006,10
zzwhip.gif
) i took the MSF course 6 years ago and my first bike was a NEW 1350 twin cam harley. 6 years later got the busa. glad i learned on the more docile throttle...

the harleys throttle is more forgiving.

take the MSF.

i'm 40.

i probably would've wrecked the busa or worse the first day if it was my first bike. and that would've been respecting it too.
i hope you have fat fingers. a 1350 twin cam huh? if that's what you have. i'd call willie g. and let him know that you have the rarest motor of all time in your harley. they never made such a thing.

just do the posted speed limits
SHOCKED.gif

SHOCKED.gif
and stop before you hit something or run off the road

SHOCKED.gif

Back