How much experience needed before a Busa?

kc5deb

Registered
I've been lurking in the back reading up on past posts, and reading on other boards, just trying to learn as much about this absolutely beautiful and powerful beast. I've asked a similar question in the past, but, this is the same question geared towards a different answer.

My question to you guys is a serious one.

If a normal 30yr old guy walked up to you, and asked the question "How long of riding experience would you recommend before buying a busa to tour on, and what type of experience would you recommend (ie, track or traffic)?"....

What would you respond with?

at 30 if you have ridden before i would say you should be fine,just take your time and don't stab the throttle to much or you will see why people say you need some experience before you jump on the busa,just remember throttle control is the ticket.take your time and get the feel of the bike and you will be ok
super.gif

I would ask how many other bikes you have owned, what they were and how long ago?

I'd say, get as much experience as you can first.

--Wag--

I am 37. Had dirt exp. as a youth. took the MSF course (recommend) and then boght the Busa. It requires your full attention and respect. Take a good while and get use to it..... I still am.

Be careful.

It's not really the "Busa" that'll get ya killed . Just "inexperience" with street riding skills is what should worry you . Riding a bike calls for a different mentality . So if you're a responsible adult , it dosen't matter if you have a Busa or a 250 Rebel . The cagers will get you either way if you don't have the street skills . Take a MSF course ......especially if you have no street riding history .

(Warputer @ Sep. 21 2006,14:39) It's not really the "Busa" that'll get ya killed . Just "inexperience" with street riding skills is what should worry you . Riding a bike calls for a different mentality . So if you're a responsible adult , it dosen't matter if you have a Busa or a 250 Rebel . The cagers will get you either way if you don't have the street skills . Take a MSF course ......especially if you have no street riding history .
+1 and for Touring (which I do on my Busa) doesn't require any track experience. The track really is where you learn to control the bike at speed, the street is where you learn to control your eyes, attention and experience riding with people who don't look or see you when they do look  
SHOCKED.gif
.  A Busa on the street requires more maturity than experience. Just remember the right hand does ALL the speed work and the Busa will probably out handle anything you've ever ridden or you wouldn't be asking us about this. Just take it easy and ENJOY  
beerchug.gif

THE BUSA IS VERY RIDER FRIENDLY IF YOU RESPECT IT BUT REACH UP AND GET YOU A RIGHT HAND FULL O BABY HERE YOU GO

(DaCol. @ Sep. 21 2006,14:58)
(Warputer @ Sep. 21 2006,14:39) It's not really the "Busa" that'll get ya killed . Just "inexperience" with street riding skills is what should worry you . Riding a bike calls for a different mentality . So if you're a responsible adult , it dosen't matter if you have a Busa or a 250 Rebel . The cagers will get you either way if you don't have the street skills . Take a MSF course ......especially if you have no street riding history .
+1 and for Touring (which I do on my Busa) doesn't require any track experience. The track really is where you learn to control the bike at speed, the street is where you learn to control your eyes, attention and experience riding with people who don't look or see you when they do look  
SHOCKED.gif
.  A Busa on the street requires more maturity than experience. Just remember the right hand does ALL the speed work and the Busa will probably out handle anything you've ever ridden or you wouldn't be asking us about this. Just take it easy and ENJOY  
beerchug.gif
well said
wink.gif

(ozz @ Sep. 21 2006,17
zzwhip.gif
)
(DaCol. @ Sep. 21 2006,14:58)
SHOCKED.gif
beerchug.gif
well said
wink.gif
+2 or would that be +3   =D

but i totally agree its not specifically the Busa that makes it dangerous, its being inexperienced and careless.   Esp all the newer bikes they are just as "real world" fast as a Busa. (did i say that outloud  =P)  My point is, you can get a 600 and if your "stupid" your just asking for problems.

i took the MSF course 6 years ago and my first bike was a NEW 1350 twin cam harley. 6 years later got the busa. glad i learned on the more docile throttle...

the harleys throttle is more forgiving.

take the MSF.

i'm 40.

i probably would've wrecked the busa or worse the first day if it was my first bike. and that would've been respecting it too.

The busa is one of the easiest road bikes to ride at normal speeds....ok it can feel a little heavy and clumsy at low speed but after 20mph its just shear pleasure and pulls smoothly from low revs in any gear. If you can ride a bike then the busa is a doddle....BUT the slightest twitch on the throttle WILL get you in big trouble at any speed wet or dry......so basically if your smooth with it, it'll repay you with miles of smooth effortless fun. If your rough with it and try to ride it like a small sports bike..i hope you enjoy hospital food. I know people who have owned these bike from 1999 to now and each new day brings out some new experience for them....its just one of those bike that you will never know 100% and is still the king of the road....the ZZR1400 is brute ugly and could never be tricked out like a busa. I just hope Suzuki get the new one right and maintain the fact that the busa is unlike any other bike..its a big pussycat with really big,big claws..play with it by all means but you don't want to fight it. JUST GO AND BUY ONE.

as its been said above, if you have ridden before...and have some riding behind you, just respect the bike and it will respect you back. or it kick you in the @$$ faster than you can say "Yo mtv raps"

46 years old.

Never owned a motorcycle, own somewhat modified 87 Mustang GT and love horsepower and handling.

Friend has a Hayabusa, got the bug and joined this website in May.

Bought and studied MSF book "Motorcycling Excellence" and Keith Code's "A Twist of the Wrist".

Bought Hayabusa June 6, 2006.

I actually started out riding in my neighborhood, practising braking, turning, shifting etc. Then ventured out to country roads, highway etc. Took it easy and expanded my envelope slowly and carefully.

3,500 miles later, just spent a weekend at the Midwest Meet 'n Greet and rode a group ride staying with everyone, and even got brave and broke off with a group of literbikes and followed them through some fun twisties! Got about 3/8" chicken strips left, and on a lowered bike don't know for sure how much room is left underneath before I start dragging hard parts.
rock.gif

So I am the bad example- I may be the exception to a generally good rule of getting experience with smaller bikes before getting a Busa. Also if I was 25 years younger I could very well have wrapped it around a tree by now.

Speaking for males in general we need enough maturity that our brain actually uses more blood supply than our reproductive organs on a day-to-day basis.
biggrin.gif
Like they say, "If it has tires or testicles it's bound to be trouble."

P.S.- Also have done most of my riding with a good friend, I highly recommend the buddy system for new riders if you are fortunate enough to know people who are patient and experienced riders. Kind of like having a rolling training course!

P.P.S.- Also lots of folks here with decades of experience who would say no way you should get one for a first bike, so I may get

flamed.gif

I have put brand new riders on a busa and they did fine. But not everyone is motorcycle material no matter how that start.

I always tell anyone interested in riding the Busa to take the MSF course to see if riding is even something you'd enjoy...I know of a few that took the class and walked away realizing they don't really want to ride on two wheels
smile.gif

My experience previous to the Busa was 2500 miles on a Harley, so I can't tell someone "don't just go buy one without riding for years" because I didn't do that myself...I'd also tell that guy that the Busa is heavy and if it's going to fall over, you can't really stop it...it's pricey to fix if you do drop it, but compared to my Harley, it's a very easy bike to ride...it goes as fast or as slow as you want it to...

beerchug.gif

kc5deb,

Dude buy one, get on one, and ride it! It is an amazing, spectacular, engineered motorcycle. It handles great, tons of power, and is truly a joy to ride.

Don’t get caught up in all the garbage lots of people say, when they seem to be taunting others about the busa’s. As if it’s some crazy hard motorcycle to ride.

If you don’t respect the speed of ANY motorcycle, you could be injured or killed because of that lack of respect. It’s just as easy to crash a smaller bike, as it is to crash a busa, if you act stupid on one.

I hope you buy one, ride it, and enjoy the heck out of it like all of us on this board do.

Matt

I agree with the INEXPERIENCE killing you first before the Busa will kill you. Most motorcycles will inflict the same amount of damage if not respected. It's mainly the run in with the cage and rider input/error most of the time.

WELL RIDE SOMETHIN CAUSE IF YOU GET HURT YOU MIGHT HAVE A BAD CONSCIENCE I HAVE A FEW YEARS ALOT OF PEOPLE JUST GO OUT AND BUY ONE

There's only a few things to remember when riding a BUSA:

1. RESPECT THE BUSA'S POWER, IT IS AFTER ALL THE FASTEST PRODUCTION BIKE ON THE PLANET!!
2. INEXPERIENCE AND STUPIDITY IS WHAT WILL KILL YOU!!
3. IT'S NOT A GOOD FIRST BIKE TO LEARN ON.
4. THROTTLE CONTROL IS KEY TO TAMING THE BUSA BEAST
5. ALWAYS WATCH OUT FOR THE OTHER GUY BEING STUPID

Other then that riding a BUSA will be one of the best times of your life!!!!
super.gif

Back