How much weight??

06dream

Registered
Question for you 2-up guys, or anyone else in the know... How much weight do you think the Gen1 subframe can handle? I've set up my '06 for touring with givi bags, filled with way too much stuff for a 10 day ride, they weigh in at 21lbs each. My wife and I have been talking about eliminating her bike (09 GSX650F) from the herd and just having one 2-up touring bike, but its hard to find something with the performance of the 'busa without spending a fortune. Could the 'busa safely handle the full Givi bags, (42lbs total), my wife (160lbs geared up), and perhaps a small topcase/backrest (prolly 15lbs?)?? Or do ya'll think this would be overloaded for the frame and suspension? I know it would completely change the balance of the bike and would have to be much more careful with my riding technique...

Our other affordable choices are the Dl1000 V-Strom, and I've found a 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 with only 2500kms for 13g... Both great bikes I'm sure, and perhaps better suited to 2-up long distance touring, but how would the riding experience compare to the 'busa? I've ridden a FJR1300 and the bike doesn't excite me at all. I haven't rode a V-Strom or Connie, but want to.

thanks!!

I've done long tours with fully loaded expandable saddle bags and a suited pillion on a stock steel Gen1 subframe with no issues. Worse case would be to add a little more bracing to the subframe. As you mentioned you'll have to adjust the suspension and your riding technique.

I would be more concerned with comfort for both. With big saddle bags it can be difficult for a pillion to be comfortable reaching the foot pegs. Also with stock seats they tend to slowly slide forward into you. For two up long distance touring I would probably choose another bike. It may not be as "spirited" but it may be more enjoyable for both.

The connie and FJR are virtual twins.

For what you are asking of your ride, I'd look into the BMW. A bit more money but you get more bike.

Agreed that the Connie and FJR are twin style of bikes, but I'll argue that you can get more performance out of the Connie with its zx14 based motor. Fjr is pretty limited without much dough.

I rode with a K1300gt last fall and it was a very impressive bike to ride with. However, about double the price to find one with respectably low kms...

thanks for the replies.

Back