How much experience do you REALLY need for a BUSA?

silver99

Registered
I've read the post "Thinking about a Hayabusa as a first bike?" and there's a lot of useful information there. I know can understand the bike is super powerful and way more power than most people would ever use (including myself).

But I'm looking at a getting a BUSA. I'm 34 years old, Have about 2 years riding experience on 400cc cruisers and have also ridden a Buell Thunderbolt. My question is, will the Busa be way too much for me to handle. I've read many posts saying they're not for beginners. I don't consider myself a veteran but I am very comfortable on motorcycles and the main reason I'm looking would be a great sport tourer to fit my build (6'3 - 280lbs).

Am I what you'd consider a beginner or do I need to have more experience?

I would say that you've had ample experience and you are at the age where maturity also has kicked in. Alot of inexperienced riders are asking the same question but they are also less than 20 yrs old and may have a lack of better judgement. I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like you're ready.
smile.gif

From what you've said, I don't consider you a beginner
at motorcycling. But, in the same instance you will
be a beginner on a BUSA. Don't get me wrong it's a
motorcycle. The basics are the same for all, it's when
you get full throttle into a 90% switch back that there
is a difference. The bike handles like a dream, but you
have to stay on your game and not loose consentration.
I would say if you feel comfortable riding get a BUSA.
Just don't go right out to some twisties and open her
up all the way. You might find out like many of us have
there is a difference between 400cc and 1300cc. Good luck!
AAAssjani.gif

Only you can decide when you are ready....just remember that everything happens alot faster on a busa....she builds speed so smoothly and quickly that it can take awhile to adjust to the velocities you will be at.

It's quite a leap but you should be fine.

The formula for street pizza is when bad parents buy one for their spoiled punk kid who's other 2 wheeled vehicle is a bmx bike.

Just take it slow and gradually build up...learn what the Busa is about as it can easily get away from you.
The Busa will blow your 400's away without ever having to leave first gear so take baby steps with that throttle!

I'm sure that the Busa for you would be just fine. Just remember to respect the power bistoed on you by the mighty King of all sport bikes the Hayabusa. If you don't respect it you will find your self rubber side up in no time at all. Just go get her right this minute and enjoy!
wink.gif
cool.gif

Respect, respect, respect!!!

That about covers it........................................get one!

biggrin.gif

Sounds like you will be fine.  Just break yourself in with the bike as you go. One note however, when you say 2 years how many miles is that?? Just keep yourself safe. Not just the Busa 2 years is good but not a lot of time on a bike.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085696208 -->

busa is a sweet bike to ride below 4k-5k rpm,will out run most vehicles at these low rpms,now you get it around 6500 or 7500 rpm and twist its tail.it goes psycho.something is going to break loose,wheelie or both in lower gears.just watch where you are pointed when you gas on it.otherwise it is the nicest riding bike i have ever owned.have toured many miles on mine.

Ride it like you stole it.Its a great bike to ride. This bike does none of the stuff that my other bikes have done. Solid at any speed thats the best part about it to me. It pulls so hard in 1st and 2nd you wont want to let go with 1 finger to pull the clutch for the next gear.NICE

come on, guys.... 3rd and 4th pull too... it's just that by that time, you've crossed a state line and helicopters are following you

I would say that you are experienced enough for a Busa. I would suggest one thing though. Before you go down and buy one answer this question:

Am I REALLY going to enjoy riding a 200 MPH motorcycle that can scare the scheisse out of a seasoned speed freak after the novelty wears off?

Buy one for life not as a fling.

You may want to consider a 600cc sportbike before going to a Busa. 400cc cruiser -> Busa is a HUGEjump. Small things like hitting a bump in a turn can turn into a huge problem on a bike like the Busa if you don't know how to handle them. A Honda VFR may be something to consider too. At least you're old enough to have some common sense if you decide to get a Busa.

I think self control out weights experience big time when it comes to riding a Busa. If you respect the bike and power that it has then riding one is not bad. However, If you lose respect and self control then it will bite you hard. It is very easy to get in over your head before you even realize that you twisted the throttle. The biggest thing that we are referring to when it comes to beginners is when they say that they have never sat on a bike no less ridden one. Just take some time to get use to the bike and you will be fine.

Welcome to the board.

Well, I just bought a busa after a couple of years of riding an 1100cc 550lb V-Twin cruiser.  It's quick, but, nothing compared to the busa.  I had never ridin' a sport bike.  I climbed on the buse very, very cautiously.  Keeping the bike at low rpms in all gears, the bike ran very tame.  It wasn't all that much quicker than my cruiser.  I put about 100 miles on this way.  Then, I started to play with some slightly higher rpms and some slightly quicker throttle pulls.  My gosh, the acceleration is like being in the Twilight Zone.  There's not too much wind or engine vibration but the scenery starts whipping by very fast.  Looking down at the speedo to see if I had broken 95 miles an hour yet, I was very surprised to be gliding at a cool 125 mph.  There in lies the challenge with this bike.  Any aggressive throttle pulls and this bike is going to go.  I put another 100 miles and found the bike to be very controllable.  I did give the throttle a quick pull tonight and the thing did nearly jump right out of my hands.  Next time, I leaned forward, planted my feet on the pegs, gave the tank a good squeeze and tried it again.  This time, I was prepared and it was a blast.  Bottom line, this bike is very behaved and will not be hard to control unless you kick it in it's side.  But, once you kick it, it's going to deliver full tilt so be ready.  3 days into it, I am absolutely comfortable on it.  I did about and hour of parking lot work tonight... weave drills and full effort stops.  The weaves were a piece of cake.  The stops were tricky.  It's pretty easy to get the front wheel to slide.  If you do get a busa as a big step up, do pleanty of parking lot work to get familiar... especially power stops.   Gradually build up speed for the stops and try and feel that point before you skid the front wheel.  If you skid the front wheel, your likely to go down.   Hope this helps.

<!--EDIT|MeltDownZ
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085722024 -->

Meltdownz good to hear your ejoying it. I should have mine within 2 weeks. Between buying the busa and getting married, I am up to my ears in stuff to do lol. I feel alot better after reading your post, we both are going from vtwin cruisers to busas. I must say it is very intimadating. You should shoot me an email or something, I would love to come check out your bike, and it will be nice to have someone to ride with once I get mine.

Only you know when your ready. If your comfortable knowing your getting the fastest production bike ever built go for it. Your the one that controls the power, not the bike. Like I tell all my students, take it easy until your familiar with the bike. You wouldn't get into a Viper and just floor it out of the gate if you never drove one before, so why do it on a busa. (I know, some of you crazy SOBs out there would). Just get used to it and you'll be alright. BTW Welcome to the addiction.
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|ridercoach
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085751751 -->

Thanks for all your advice and welcoming to the board. I personally think I'm emotionally ready for such a bike. The thoughts of wheelies, stoppies or any sort of stunting does not appeal to me AT ALL. The Busa seems to fit the bill for a great super sport touring machine. I will be taking it very easy for the first while and I don't anticipate myself going in insane speeds as I don't have the need for speed as many out there do. Each to there own I guess. I'm comfortable cruising at 60-80 mph but want to have enough juice to easily pass any trucker if the need should arise.

Thanks again for all your input!

Silver

I'll repeat what everyone else has mentioned...respect it and you'll be o.k...the 'busa was the first street bike I have ever owned though I had ridden a few. I knew what I was getting into when I first fired it up and just took baby steps until I got used to the way the bike would react to what I was doing. Good luck and welcome to the board, you'll find it very helpful!

Back