How much does a busa engine weigh?

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
I need to know how much a busa engine weighs and any recommendations for companies to ship one.

Don

lurk.gif

Where are you sending it? You might want to build a crate, using a pallet as a base. Depending on where it's going, I might be able to recommend some freight lines.

I have shipped a few strapped on pallets and the whole deal weighted right at 250lbs on the trucking companies scales. I would guess the engine alone to be a 200-220lbs. I have always used local trucking companies to ship motors, their prices blow ups and fedex out of the water for something that heavy.

I use Forward Air inc. They charge about $35.00 per 100lbs. Shipping a Busa motor should be about $180 with the crate.

I would say ship it by air. It isn't too bad. Ask GoldenChil, he ships alot of motors.

depends on the level they are "dressed". One I got from WA state was 196lbs with a "crate". No TB's, starter, sprocket cover assembly.

Last I sent was through forward air, strapped to a wooden skid ( can get you dimensionals for skid, I get throw aways from work 12lbs) and them plastic wrapped to the point you could barely tell it was a motor. It was like $100-120 shipped, but been awhile since then.

200 lbs with no fuel injection less pallet...forward air Via Tulsa,Little Rock or Memphis if headed that way..You can also go to your local Reddaway,Overnight type freight places...

When i shipped out Yamahor's old motor to the new owner i used a small sturdy pallet. Then used some 2X4's cut them to fit and support the engine and screwed them in place. Then i went to Walmart and bought one of ther $7 ratchet tiedown 4packs and attatched 1 strap to each of the 4 engine mounting bolts on the head.  Once you tighten the straps evenly it's fine. I went the extra step and shrinkwrapped the whole skid and engine after fixing it in place.

That made for a well secured shipment with a total investment of about $10.

When i shipped out Yamahor's old motor to the new owner i used a small sturdy pallet. Then used some 2X4's cut them to fit and support the engine and screwed them in place. Then i went to Walmart and bought one of ther $7 ratchet tiedown 4packs and attatched 1 strap to each of the 4 engine mounting bolts on the head.  Once you tighten the straps evenly it's fine. I went the extra step and shrinkwrapped the whole skid and engine after fixing it in place.

That made for a well secured shipment with a total investment of about $10.
Exactly how I do them too.

Back