Hayabusa buying tips

Veritas Una

Registered
My question has probably been asked many times before, but I can't find the link... so:

I'm looking for buying an '04 Busa in the next couple of days.
Because it's located in the middle of nowhere, I can't have an independent mechanic to take a look at it.

Please advice what should I look for? What to check? (Last thing I want - is to get a "lemon")

Bike info:
8 000 km (not miles)
Sold by a dealer, the deal looks reasonable.
They said that they'll do an oil change (the bike hasn't been started in 2006 yet), and that the tyres are brand new.

The picture is here >>>

Many thanks!
smile.gif

Have RSD come look at it he's Canadian! and he isnt too busy right now
laugh.gif

Will the dealer provide any type of warrantee? I know it's an '04, but they might spring for a 30 or 60 day warrantee to make the sale.

The photo doesn't seem to show any abuse (though it is hard to tell). Does the bike have lots of scratches or other damage? Look it over good. Make sure that they give you the rear cowl (hump).

Good luck.

I'm not sure what the law is up in canuckland either but you might have a 24-48 hour window to back out of the deal without repercussions... If so, buy it... take it to a mechanic to check it out... and take it back if he gives it a thumbs down.

From the picture it doesn't look like an 04.
They changed the turn signals to clear and the bulbs orange that year.
You have orange lens covers on that one.
Plus SUZUKI was deleted that year on the tank and just put the S is on it.
So either you have a rebuilt bike or it is not an 04 model.

<!--EDIT|TIMMYDUCK
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146139565 -->

Also, only the REAR tire is new, the front is def original....
wink.gif

Make sure you have someone check it REAL GOOD before you buy it!
cool.gif

Looks like you are correct, but wrong with the year. 2004 has the orange lenses and full suzuki on the tank.

2003 Busa
2003_GSX1300R_slv-gray_450.jpg

2004 Busa
2004_GSX1300R_blueslv_600.jpg

2005 Busa

2005_GSX1300R_gray_side_500.jpg

Looks like an 04.

different colors and models for Canada. Same for Europe and Japan. Gixxers are always different across the border.I had a watercooled 92 gixxer. Suzuki din't provide a water cooled gix in the US till 93....stuff like that.

Has it been drag raced. Look underneath for aftermarket lowering links,or homemade ones. Look for strap marks up frony indicating the front was strapped down occasionally.Look inside the rear wheel well for frags of tire indicating burnouts. Look inside the rad for glchol based coolant...most drag strips tracks dont allow the use of normal coolant. Check the chain for excessive stretch that will happen during hard launches. Is the rear tire cooked in the center with signs of scalloping and yet the edges are untouched with 2 inch wide chicken strips? Has the pilot seat been altered to stop a racers butt from sliding back. Is there eveidence of this happing by the marks on the front of the hump? Removing the oil fill plug and giving a sniff,does it have that nice backed clutch smell from the abuses of hard running and drag racing? can you have the former owners telephone number? Start bike,hold both brakes,let clutch out,it should stall right away,if it stalls near the end of travel they clutch is thin and has been used...or,it could have air in the system,a Suzuki trademark. Fine oud the previous owners age<why he traded it in,and what he took in its place.Was its regular service done? In my province you can return a vehicle to a dealership within so many days for a full refund "no questions asked" its part of the lemon law.

start there....

RSD.

They did the clear lens in 05. It was one of the big enhancements. Right up there with the headlight that switches off when you push the start button. My 05 has an S on the tank, but I don't know when they started putting them on.

I would take it to a mechanic and let them run a leak down test on the cylinders. There are other tricks that good mechs use to spot trouble bikes. If you aren't comfortable with working on engines and bikes in general, you need a good shop to look at it.

<!--EDIT|FAVahalik
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146165555 -->

different colors and models for Canada. Same for Europe and Japan. Gixxers are always different across the border.I had a watercooled 92 gixxer. Suzuki din't provide a water cooled gix in the US till 93....stuff like that.

Has it been drag raced. Look underneath for aftermarket lowering links,or homemade ones. Look for strap marks up frony indicating the front was strapped down occasionally.Look inside the rear wheel well for frags of tire indicating burnouts. Look inside the rad for glchol based coolant...most drag strips tracks dont allow the use of normal coolant. Check the chain for excessive stretch that will happen during hard launches. Is the rear tire cooked in the center with signs of scalloping and yet the edges are untouched with 2 inch wide chicken strips? Has the pilot seat been altered to stop a racers butt from sliding back. Is there eveidence of this happing by the marks on the front of the hump? Removing the oil fill plug and giving a sniff,does it have that nice backed clutch smell from the abuses of hard running and drag racing? can you have the former owners telephone number? Start bike,hold both brakes,let clutch out,it should stall right away,if it stalls near the end of travel they clutch is thin and has been used...or,it could have air in the system,a Suzuki trademark. Fine oud the previous owners age<why he traded it in,and what he took in its place.Was its regular service done? In my province you can return a vehicle to a dealership within so many days for a full refund "no questions asked" its part of the lemon law.

start there....

RSD.
That's interesting about drag strips not allowing glycol. How come?

Back