how did you meet your significant other

This thread has a cousin, going back to the old timers.

What's interesting is when you start a new thread and start typing in the title, other related threads pop up...there have been times when I have weighed necro-posting to starting something new....

Man, has this thread deteriorated into sexist crap. There's a female at my gym, mid 30's, that among other things does 20 pullups (not chinups, she could probably do 30 of those), and runs 2 miles with stairs involved wearing a weighted vest every day, or at least Mon-Fri. Could a man train to do more? Sure. Could the girl at my gym do all those things in that video? Sure. Could 5% of the males on this forum do her workout? Not likely. There's way more overlap in the physical prowess of male and females than people think, mainly because females are at least on par as far as mental toughness. Jackie Styles, the basketball player, used to work out at my gym too. She was tougher than anyone I've ever watched exercise. Kim Nicholls, four time Ms Olympia, used to work out at my gym too. She was REALLY tough too. Obviously males have a higher ceiling for speed and strength, but that idiot video is a punch to the mouth of someone that might just knock you out.

Man, has this thread deteriorated into sexist crap. There's a female at my gym, mid 30's, that among other things does 20 pullups (not chinups, she could probably do 30 of those), and runs 2 miles with stairs involved wearing a weighted vest every day, or at least Mon-Fri. Could a man train to do more? Sure. Could the girl at my gym do all those things in that video? Sure. Could 5% of the males on this forum do her workout? Not likely. There's way more overlap in the physical prowess of male and females than people think, mainly because females are at least on par as far as mental toughness. Jackie Styles, the basketball player, used to work out at my gym too. She was tougher than anyone I've ever watched exercise. Kim Nicholls, four time Ms Olympia, used to work out at my gym too. She was REALLY tough too. Obviously males have a higher ceiling for speed and strength, but that idiot video is a punch to the mouth of someone that might just knock you out.
You are talking about the exceptions to the rule.....not the norm.

I was in a level in my profession that (I hate to say it) females couldn't endure....many tried, none lasted.

Sexism is a perceived state of mind, we were discussing the difference between western women and women from other cultures.

......and furthermore, I have 5 grand daughters of whom I have always promoted their ability to do anything they have a mind to do and not to let their gender stand in the way nor let a man define who they are as human beings....sadly the older they get the less they listen but I still harp on them......

Last edited:
You are comparing a highly trained athlete lady to a guy who is not trained accordingly, not a fair comparison.
There are some amazing female athletes, but in the same sport at the same level they have no chance. That is what testosterone does for a guy.

When I use to race bicycles compettively, I always said the day a woman rides away from me, is the day I give up. Rode with the best, 120lbs, body full of muscles, not an ounce of fat, while I had to lug my 175lbs around. They had no chance. Go look at 25mile cycling time trial records, men and ladys, huge difference. Ladies have their own Tour De France, much shorter, much less intense. They would never be able to compete in the real tour.

UCI Men's one hour distance world track record = 35.289 miles
UCI Woman's one hour distance world track record = 31.234 miles.

Imagine racing someone on your Busa around a track for an hour and they beat you by more than 4 miles.

You are comparing a highly trained athlete lady to a guy who is not trained accordingly, not a fair comparison.
There are some amazing female athletes, but in the same sport at the same level they have no chance. That is what testosterone does for a guy.

When I use to race bicycles compettively, I always said the day a woman rides away from me, is the day I give up. Rode with the best, 120lbs, body full of muscles, not an ounce of fat, while I had to lug my 175lbs around. They had no chance. Go look at 25mile cycling time trial records, men and ladys, huge difference. Ladies have their own Tour De France, much shorter, much less intense. They would never be able to compete in the real tour.

UCI Men's one hour distance world track record = 35.289 miles
UCI Woman's one hour distance world track record = 31.234 miles.

Imagine racing someone on your Busa around a track for an hour and they beat you by more than 4 miles.
What are you talking about? I'm not comparing those women to anyone. I was commenting on their physical prowess. I mentioned guys on this forum not being able to do what they do to illustrate the amount of overlap in the male/ female physical ability discussion. You completely ignored what I said about males having a higher ceiling, and I definitely did not need the example about the motorcycles, I ride a Tuono and I would be done and have my helmet off by the time the Busa pulled up :laugh:

Last edited:
I mentioned guys on this forum not being able to do what they do to illustrate the amount of overlap in the male/ female physical ability discussion. You completely ignored what I said about males having a higher ceiling, and I definitely did not need the example about the motorcycles, I ride a Tuono and I would be done and have my helmet off by the time the Busa pulled up :laugh:
Remember many of us on this forum are getting long in the tooth.....

I'd imagine if we were all in our prime, it would be a whole different conversation, more than a few veterans and former police officers on this forum.

I was extremely fit in my day and I had to go through a very stringent selection process to get into the unit I was in....few made it.

What are you talking about? I'm not comparing those women to anyone. I was commenting on their physical prowess. I mentioned guys on this forum not being able to do what they do to illustrate the amount of overlap in the male/ female physical ability discussion. You completely ignored what I said about males having a higher ceiling, and I definitely did not need the example about the motorcycles, I ride a Tuono and I would be done and have my helmet off by the time the Busa pulled up :laugh:

I'm in the 5% here that could hang or beat her...and I'll bet the old @Bumblebee still can too.

Just had to get that in there
lmao

Remember many of us on this forum are getting long in the tooth.....

I'd imagine if we were all in our prime, it would be a whole different conversation, more than a few veterans and former police officers on this forum.

I was extremely fit in my day and I had to go through a very stringent selection process to get into the unit I was in....few made it.
Hell I'll openly admit that even in my prime that genetics play a role in things. I've dated 2 Olympic level athletes. One was a U.S. Volleyball player and one was a Hungarian Biathlete. Even at my best, my genetics were not on par to an athletes. My absolute highest fitness was maybe 60% of theirs. And my athletic abilities were simply less. Honestly the volleyball player pretty much wore my arse out. I was a bit younger for the Biathlete. Neither of them dated me thinking I was an athlete. And neither of them could outperform their male peers.

But I won't lie, it was spectacular watching them work out. It was humbling. The work they put in, far exceeds any motivation I have.

Ever know someone who is adicted to excercise?

Some of those women may be.

I use to train for competition, without that there was no motivation to train. I use to do everything to the finest detail, heart rate, weight, diet, power output, wake up pulse, carefully planned training sessions, everything logged.

Then you get the person who is totally addicted to fitness, they do none of that stuff, have trained their whole life and they kick butt.

I’m still very fit at 66. I can still do about 15 pull ups (I do 4 sets of ten once a week) and bench 315 for 3, cycle a few days a week, but I don’t belong in the elite class Tom mentioned. Male or female that top 1 or 2 % is a special human being. Jelly if you could hang with her in the two mile, that’s 32 laps with one set of up and down stairs each lap) TOMORROW, I’m a monkeys uncle. I sure as heck can’t. Believe me, she’s not jogging.

Ever try going (up) a moving two story (down) escalator for time? Or running up a football stadium’s steps to the third deck touching every step?
Ever try carrying 130lbs up the side of a mountain?

Or going over 100 miles across a desert carrying the same weight and having critical timings to meet?

Years go just for giggles we got to go up the stairs of the CN Tower in Toronto with full body armor and gas mask...that was pleasant...

A few (of many) things I don't miss doing......

Ever try carrying 130lbs up the side of a mountain?

Or going over 100 miles across a desert carrying the same weight and having critical timings to meet?

Years go just for giggles we got to go up the stairs of the CN Tower in Toronto with full body armor and gas mask...that was pleasant...

Reminds me of firefighters that answered the 911 calls. Climbing 80+ flights of stairs with full firefighting gear. Some did that repeatedly! And adding a human being to the load some of the trips. That is stunning levels of fitness there! May they RIP!

oEver try carrying 130lbs up the side of a mountain?

I don't for a minute make light of what you've done, I'm a bit of an SOB myself. This conversation is about the fact that females, with determination and training, can attain miraculous accomplishments. There is an overlap with males what females can achieve. That's my point. Given the same training, yes some males can surpass, but to not appreciate a female's ability and determination is wrong to the furthest extent. The ridiculous assumption that women generally exist only to care and nourish males and children only, as has been insinuated in this thread, is atrocious.

I just reread this thread and insinuated is probably too strong a word. The whole westernized idea is disheartening, as in my mind it means women are afforded rights they might not have or deserve. The idea of the female societal role some have, anywhere in the world, needs abolished.

I just reread this thread and insinuated is probably too strong a word. The whole westernized idea is disheartening, as in my mind it means women are afforded rights they might not have or deserve. The idea of the female societal role some have, anywhere in the world, needs abolished.
We in the west strive to impart our values and ethics to cultures around the world that in many if not all cases suffer from this....I spent a lot of time in countries where the old school traditional division between woman and man existed and it worked for them and has for millennia...who are we in the west to judge this? Pretty much any country where the west stuck it's nose into has big issues because we've changed their culture to such a point that it has gone toxic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we look at my situation for instance...I retired and am now the "house husband" and have taught myself to conduct all home operations...I cook, clean, do laundry, wash windows, kill spiders, cut grass, shovel snow, maintain the vehicles, do the grocery shopping while my wife goes to work every day....

When she comes home, I have supper ready so in essence, I have assumed the role of the traditional wife used to have....and I have zero issues with that.

When my former colleagues visit and find out I have assumed this role they raise they are surprised and often mention that I went a long way from a dangerous and skilled operator to a house-bunny.....we always laugh at that and I of course threaten to put them through a wall.......

However, I'm not tied to the house, if I want to go somewhere or do something, I go and do no questions asked.

My wife's dad (rest his soul) was an old school man, his wife was expected to care for the home and when he had his dinner, she dished it up and when he was finished, she took the plate away....that was their way...and both of them looked very happy.

Back