how did you meet your significant other

IMG_0049.jpeg

Philippines Filipino GIF

brother retired there *

A childhood friend of mine married a lady from the Philippines and they decided to move there....they bought a small hotel with a restaurant...he introduced pizza delivery to their village and it really took off...

He's having a great life....
I love it. It's a great place to live in my opinion but there are some things to be aware of.
The big draw is that an average middle-age guy here in the US (or Canada) may not attract hot young women very easily. But in the Phil that same guy is treated like a rock star by young beautiful women, and that can be quite intoxicating.
The trouble comes when they start asking for a little money for this or that, or you go out to dinner and her entire family comes along which you have to pay for.
Not all Filipino women are like that but it's fairly common to hear stories of some guy who blew through his savings before he knew it.

Also, it takes 10 steps to do anything official, like getting a driver's license or cash a check when over here it takes maybe 4 steps - efficiency doesn't exist there.
And if you have health issues it's best to live near a big hospital because the ones in the countryside aren't so good in many cases.
And the traffic in the cities sucks, and there is corruption in the government, and and....

But life there is a lot simpler, people aren't stressed out trying to make a fortune, they are grateful for what they have, the people are great

I love it. It's a great place to live in my opinion but there are some things to be aware of.
The big draw is that an average middle-age guy here in the US (or Canada) may not attract hot young women very easily. But in the Phil that same guy is treated like a rock star by young beautiful women, and that can be quite intoxicating.
The trouble comes when they start asking for a little money for this or that, or you go out to dinner and her entire family comes along which you have to pay for.
Not all Filipino women are like that but it's fairly common to hear stories of some guy who blew through his savings before he knew it.

Also, it takes 10 steps to do anything official, like getting a driver's license or cash a check when over here it takes maybe 4 steps - efficiency doesn't exist there.
And if you have health issues it's best to live near a big hospital because the ones in the countryside aren't so good in many cases.
And the traffic in the cities sucks, and there is corruption in the government, and and....

But life there is a lot simpler, people aren't stressed out trying to make a fortune, they are grateful for what they have, the people are great
I have Thailand on my radar screen a bit. Specifically Chaing Mai. More professional women. Less of a sex trade air to its economy.

I'm not even considering it as a way to find a woman. But I have 3 friends that have already moved to Thailand. They all state that Western women are toast once a Western man experiences the Thai culture.

It's not my No. 1 pick yet. But all 3 absolutely have ZERO regrets they chose it.

I have Thailand on my radar screen a bit. Specifically Chaing Mai. More professional women. Less of a sex trade air to its economy.

I'm not even considering it as a way to find a woman. But I have 3 friends that have already moved to Thailand. They all state that Western women are toast once a Western man experiences the Thai culture.

It's not my No. 1 pick yet. But all 3 absolutely have ZERO regrets they chose it.
The thing with most women from Asian countries is that they enjoy being a woman which has been lost here in the West. They don't want to compete with a man in the workplace as much as they do here. They are devoted to their house, their family and their man. They expect the man to provide, and they are generally happy to play the traditional female role.

Of course, once they come to live in the West this slowly drops away.
Funny story, one time early in our marriage after my wife had lived here in the US for a few years, we were in the Phil visiting her Aunties' house and every time my glass of Coke ran low I could hear her Aunt saying "go refill his glass" which my wife kept doing. As she refilled my glass for the 3rd time she whispered "don't get used to this".

The thing with most women from Asian countries is that they enjoy being a woman which has been lost here in the West. They don't want to compete with a man in the workplace as much as they do here. They are devoted to their house, their family and their man. They expect the man to provide, and they are generally happy to play the traditional female role..
That first paragraph made me quite sad, but the second one helped make up for it :beerchug:

Is it living to Western standards or maybe just living?

Online dating.

Never tried it before but I had some workmates who were into it big time. They said give it a go, you’ll meet loads of women, bound to crack on with a few etc.

Joined up, did a profile, couple of days later a woman contacted me, no pics or info on her profile, but we messaged each other then chatted on the phone.

Ended up going out for a coffee.

My first internet date.

Been together 13 years, married for the last 10.

I did ask her why her profile was almost blank, she said she wasn’t on offer, she was seeing who was out there.

We are totally different people, I’m a hands on rough county boy who works outdoors, she’s a very highly skilled academic city girl. Oddly it works !

Online dating.

Never tried it before but I had some workmates who were into it big time. They said give it a go, you’ll meet loads of women, bound to crack on with a few etc.

Joined up, did a profile, couple of days later a woman contacted me, no pics or info on her profile, but we messaged each other then chatted on the phone.

Ended up going out for a coffee.

My first internet date.

Been together 13 years, married for the last 10.

I did ask her why her profile was almost blank, she said she wasn’t on offer, she was seeing who was out there.

We are totally different people, I’m a hands on rough county boy who works outdoors, she’s a very highly skilled academic city girl. Oddly it works !
Hi. Hey that is all tjat counts. Mine is 40 years younger tham me. Never did any internet dating. I have met all inperson.

I have a single 30 something neighbor across the street...he said the dating scene these days is very, very scary...he works from home so it adds to his difficulty in finding someone.

He went on a dating site and after he used the filters to get rid of the people he didn't want to meet, he said there were no filters for crazy.....

On advice from his friends and family, he made his profile as simple as he could to avoid the rush of users out there who would want him solely for what he had and not who he is....

He's a little worried as he owns his own home and many women of his age are looking for someone so they can escape their parents' basement.....

I told him I'm sure happy I'm not in the dating scene and good luck to him in his quest to find that special someone....

The thing with most women from Asian countries is that they enjoy being a woman which has been lost here in the West. They don't want to compete with a man in the workplace as much as they do here. They are devoted to their house, their family and their man. They expect the man to provide, and they are generally happy to play the traditional female role.

Of course, once they come to live in the West this slowly drops away.
Funny story, one time early in our marriage after my wife had lived here in the US for a few years, we were in the Phil visiting her Aunties' house and every time my glass of Coke ran low I could hear her Aunt saying "go refill his glass" which my wife kept doing. As she refilled my glass for the 3rd time she whispered "don't get used to this".
You stated it well. They are happy to care for a man, the house, the children. The term being coined is, the 50s lifestyle. Meaning how America in the 50s was.

I have zero problem with women in America that work and want equality. It's the underlying culture that has changed here. I once dated a physician. Worked long hours. Always had to make right work decisions or people could die. I loved her for that heart she had. At the end of the day, she just wanted to come home and not have to be in charge of anything.

She got chyt when she'd tell her friends that I took her car in to be serviced. Or I fixed something that broke in the house. Or that I cooked her a meal. The feminist movement have put a lot of pressure that women need to be independent, do it all, not rely on men for anything.

All great in concept. But it hasn't allowed for women to have it in their heart that it's not bad if they want to have a traditional side too. In her case the most relaxing thing she looked forward to is time to cook me a meal, Not because I expected her too, but because she wanted to. She had to live in this world of "The desire to want to care for a man" goes against the grain of our culture that is now present.

It's factual that some men like to care and protect women, and some women love to provide for men. There is too much effort to convince us here that that's all wrong now.

I won't go so far as to says it's DNA. But men have been the providers and women have been the nurturers for eons. So let's push that out of existence in 40 years in America.

Last edited:
Hi. Hey that is all tjat counts. Mine is 40 years younger tham me. Never did any internet dating. I have met all inperson.
Funny enough, my wife is the result of my one and only internet date.
I’ve had an ex-wife, 2 fiancé’s, several partners all come and go.
None has ever been with me for 13 years.
I guess that’s partly due to us both being older and knowing what we want and where we are going.

I have a single 30 something neighbor across the street...he said the dating scene these days is very, very scary...he works from home so it adds to his difficulty in finding someone.

He went on a dating site and after he used the filters to get rid of the people he didn't want to meet, he said there were no filters for crazy.....

On advice from his friends and family, he made his profile as simple as he could to avoid the rush of users out there who would want him solely for what he had and not who he is....

He's a little worried as he owns his own home and many women of his age are looking for someone so they can escape their parents' basement.....

I told him I'm sure happy I'm not in the dating scene and good luck to him in his quest to find that special someone....

Funny enough, my wife is the result of my one and only internet date.
I’ve had an ex-wife, 2 fiancé’s, several partners all come and go.
None has ever been with me for 13 years.
I guess that’s partly due to us both being older and knowing what we want and where we are going.
Hi. I have lost 3 girl friend and an X wife. They all died to soon.

You stated it well. They are happy to care for a man, the house, the children. The term being coined is, the 50s lifestyle. Meaning how America in the 50s was.

I have zero problem with women in America that work and want equality. It's the underlying culture that has changed here. I once dated a physician. Worked long hours. Always had to make right work decisions or people could die. I loved her for that heart she had. At the end of the day, she just wanted to come home and not have to be in charge of anything.

She got chyt when she'd tell her friends that I took her car in to be serviced. Or I fixed something that broke in the house. Or that I cooked her a meal. The feminist movement have put a lot of pressure that women need to be independent, do it all, not rely on men for anything.

All great in concept. But it hasn't allowed for women to have it in their heart that it's not bad if they want to have a traditional side too. In her case the most relaxing thing she looked forward to is time to cook me a meal, Not because I expected her too, but because she wanted to. She had to live in this world of "The desire to want to care for a man" goes against the grain of our culture that is now present.

It's factual that some men like to care and protect women, and some women love to provide for men. There is too much effort to convince us here that that's all wrong now.

I won't go so far as to says it's DNA. But men have been the providers and women have been the nurturers for eons. So let's push that out of existence in 40 years in America.
We live in a strange time and place.....women want to be in charge yet have us open doors and seat them at a table when going out somewhere....

Western women for the most part are liberated to the point of being difficult to live with at times.

How many young couples do I know that the woman is clearly in charge, the fellow has basically given up on all the things they did before-hunting, fishing, hanging out with friends (or having friends) etc because it was the will of the woman they are dating...in my day they called it being "whipped." Because finding a woman these days is so much of a chore, these young men just relent and do what it takes in order to stay with the lady.....

I know a few people who have non-westernized ladies and they aren't subservient yet are nurturing and enjoy being the matriarch for their family.

I went to a friend's house one time to fix his lawn tractor and while we were working, his wife would come out periodically to see if we needed anything to drink....at lunch time she brought us out sandwiches and such then came out later to take the dishes away.....she was the CEO of a small company but still wanted to be a wife, mother and good host.....I had a lot of respect for her....

My wife will come out to the garage to see if I'm alive if I've been out there a long time.....

This thread has a cousin, going back to the old timers.

Back