Hayabusa turbo build

So we had our national finals in the uk a couple of weeks ago.

As you will see from previous posts i am running in 8.50 bracket racing.

Friday testing was all good, i decided to turn the boost up, aiming for my first ever pass in the 7s. I managed a 8.08 second pass, due to increased G force / wind speed actually managed to push in my clutch lever enough to 1 activate 2 step in 5th gear, 2 reset my boost timer. so i only had wastegate pressure in 5th and 6th. this would have been a high 7s pass, there is always next year.

Saturday qualifying i turned the boost back down, there was a huge tail wind and half of the pack managed to break out on the first pass, on the second pass i managed to claw it back with a 8.56.

Sunday eliminations round 1. I got a little too excited on the tree and got a red light -0.0034 gutted. i left the line, all was well with the bike, i then hit the shifter in to second and the motor died a horrible death. it was very un eventful. it just cut out. no weird noises or smoke.

i thought it was an electrical issue at first.

got back home and removed the cam cover / thottle boddies.... bad news. i snapped the cam chain and bent a few valves.
7C4DEA92-87A2-4CFC-854E-E1E87F5D6056.JPG

IMG_2495.jpg

I then decided to remove the head, low and behold it looks like i damaged valves in cylinder 1 and 3. pistons 1 and 3 took a slight beating but it looks like i will be able to remove the burrs and use them for next season.

after seeing the above damaged i decided to strip the entire bike down as i will be short necking the frame and re coating all paints on the bike / frame / swingarm.
IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

Last edited:
Was that a new can chain? Noway to tell how wore it was if you reused. You going rollerchain? Headwork? Put you about 3 or 4k in that head!!!!
Hi. If you do not have Inconel exhaust valves get them and go + 1mm. Also go with 1/2 studs not the APE ones.Get the ARP ones.
My motor builder and my tuner who races XDA and has gone 6.4 the ARP are the ones to get.

"G force / wind" pushed in your clutch lever? There's been plenty of Pro Sreet bikes that cross the finish line @ over 230 mph and they don't have that problem. More than likely an electrical issue.
No . I’m using a custom micro switch bracket set up I made for the brembo clutch master cylinder and it is too sensitive. I can also see the clutch activation in my datalog. But thank you. I just need to use a different part of the cylinder to activate the switch.

So a few updates...

Firstly, i have dropped off the frame to be short necked, im hoping to have this back by the end of November. I have also ordered a custom swingarm from DME which will put the bike in the range of 67.5 - 72.5 inches, this will hopefully be here by the end of the year, however I think current build times are approx 10 weeks.

I stripped the motor down completely a couple of weekends ago to inspect the bottom end, all is looking good here. As a couple of guys above mentioned I wouldn't be happy to run the existing bearing shells so took to working out what I required, the shells I ran in the motor last season were the original shells that it came with from factory so I wanted to start fresh.

F72D7556-6782-44A8-9FBC-A7C2294A3BCD.JPG

IMG-3166.jpg

I gave the cases and crank a good degreasing as I will with all parts as I reassemble, due to space restrictions.
IMG-3350.jpg

I then installed the new crank main bearings and plastiguaged as well as plastiguaging the new Big end bearings.

IMG-3375.jpg

All clearances sitting at 0.002 - 0.0025 which I have been told is acceptable for turbo application. I appreciate this is also personal preference.

So bottom end is ready to go back together, I'm just waiting on some assembly lube to arrive.

I also dropped off the head to the machine, they are going to remove and install 2 new valve guides on cylinder 1 and then re cut all valve seats and lap in the new stainless APE valves. they are also going time-sert a couple of the engine mounting threads as the previous owner of the head managed to chew these up slightly.
IMG-3295.jpg

Once i get the head back, i will re build with Viton valve stem seals, Heavy duty valve springs, and APE titanium retainers.

Thanks for watching. ps this is my first time stripping and building an entire motor myself so please don't be too harsh :).

I got the head back from the machine shop and installed the new valves, and re shimmed all of them, since I got all the valve seats re cut.

Frame also came back from being short necked, and the neccesary tabs removed and he cleaned up my ugly cut seat rail job.

I picked up a new helmet for next season as I wasn’t fond of my last seasons helmet loud colour scheme.

Also got a custom suit made by route 21woohoo.

So outstanding is to extend my dme fuel cell as it will be too small for next season on the new idx 1700 injectors.

My dme arm is 6 weeks into the lead time so hopefully not too much longer and it will be complete.

F1691674-E568-43C8-86D6-C902D258D3C3.jpeg

75E848FA-BDA3-4CEF-A159-FDBA5FEE35E2.jpeg

BC874B05-B4C2-42F8-9BB9-3143080DC4EC.jpeg

1E4AC11B-8F78-4645-A275-738976DFB15A.jpeg

70654921-B251-4788-84C5-BBE4C28ECBB0.jpeg

B46F5F17-32E5-4EF8-9A2E-F59F96EFBC8B.jpeg

Holy chit man! Beautiful work.

Wait a Valentino Rossi helmet was too loud and you painted the entire frame and wheels a bright red? Jkjk. Just wanted to give you a hard time. Looks great!
:poke::lol:

Back