Gotta love "best friends" that know how

yamahor

DEAD MAN WALKING
Donating Member
Registered
Yeah, so one of my "best friends" Gary came by work last night and we were hanging out talking (all work was done, no customers, nothing else to do). I told him how I was thinking of applying in Charlottesville, VA to become a motorcycle LEO. First words out of his mouth, not you can do it, or good luck... No, it was "You can't do it."
I said "Why?"
"Because you gotta make it through training."
"Yeah, thats why I'm working out and trying to get in shape. I'm not applying right now, I'm gonna get fit first."
"Well, even then, you wouldn't be able to."
"Okay, why not?"
"Well, you'd wreck on your first time out! Hahahahhaha!"
"Fug you! The 2 wrecks I've had weren't my fault! The first one was a 16 yr old turning 10 ft in front of me, and the second was a hidden gravel covered turn. Even the State Troopers on scene said it wasn't my fault!"
"Yeah, well I know you dude. haha"
"Obviously not. I try and better myself everytime I'm out on a bike. I've had people telling me I've got the skill."
At this point, I got pissed and just walked in back to FIND something more to do. Apparently Gary thought I was joking around, as he stayed there for another hour with me ignoring him. The thing that sucks about this is, I've known gary for 6+ yrs. We've been real good friends for that time. You usually expect a good friend to give you enouragement, not to tell you there's no way you can do it. Well, I'm done with him as a "friend". Real friends encourage you, and help. "Friends" are just there to have fun for themselves.  
By the way, my dream job is working with motorcycles. If I get paid to ride one, I'd be in heaven. He knows this, and he still tries to shoot my dreams down.

Sorry about the rant, I just needed to vent.

He's jealous because you're showing motivation, initiative, and direction.

Three things he does not (probably) possess. AND, he probably wants fries with that.

You need an immediate upgrade in the "friends" department.

Go for it, Hor. That's what I always say!!!

Three things he does not (probably) possess.  AND, he probably wants fries with that.
laugh.gif

r8

Sometimes you find out the hard way just how friends really feel about you...

Don't let it get your down Ben...go for whatever you want to do. When you allow others to dictate your desires, you'll lose...
smile.gif

it's not like your dream is to win the lottery... you have a very realistic goal.

Getting in shape isn't that hard, and by the time you do, you will be an even better rider.

See, Ben's not alone...  
cool.gif
No he is not.

At any rate Ben, do what you choose to do. I was listening to Rush Limbaugh and he did a segment on loving your work. To "want" to go in each day doing the things you love to do. How many can really say that?

If you want to be an LEO on a motorcycle I want to see the picture when you graduate.

Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words. Go for it!

r8

You usually expect a good friend to give you enouragement, not to tell you there's no way you can do it. Well, I'm done with him as a "friend". Real friends encourage you, and help. "Friends" are just there to have fun for themselves.  
By the way, my dream job is working with motorcycles. If I get paid to ride one, I'd be in heaven. He knows this, and he still tries to shoot my dreams down.
Ben,

Think about this deeply. He is your friend, and he just did you the best favor a friend can do. He was candid with you and showed you some perspective.

Now, you can dismiss him dramatically and cut loose the friendship OR you can use his criticism, however insensitive it was and use it to grow as a person.

What he did was to show you what you sound like with your various occasional tangents about what you plan to do and what you're gonna do and where you want to go. To him, they sound like hot air. He imparted to you that by constantly talking about things you get nothing done.

Maybe you can use this event as a catalyst to actually do something. Prove him wrong. Make him eat crow one day when you roll up on your patrol unit as he is pulling over because he was speeding and jokingly say to him, "Bet you'd never believe that I would really do this".

So Ben, what are you gonna do? Maybe keeping the guy as a friend won't be so bad unless he is constantly discouraging you. Maybe you can stay friends anyway, take the abuse and use the anger to make it happen. Then he'll have nothing to say but, yes officer.

I've got only a handful of people that I would consider "friends" and I know that they would support me if I wanted to make a carreer change. Those that dont, arent friends.

Nothing wrong with staying friends, just don't always let 'em lead you astray from what YOU want...

Maybe he is your only truly friend...

You do know that you are not in shape. What do you expected him to say....

Sure Ben, you can do it... If you expected your friends lie to you then you don`t need any friends. He believed that you will kill yourself on the motorcycle, he is worried about your well been? Maybe?

The truth is that you did crashed 2 times, and your are 23, right? You could die both those time, and know what, it is always you fault when you crashed, It was you riding that bike. You overestimated your abilities, riding conditions, others motorists behavior.
You hit the gravel? You`ve been going to fast for conditions if YOU are not able to see or react on time.

Maybe I`m wrong and you are the best rider this planet known. I don`t know that. but think about it and TALK to your friend instead of walking away from him in your grief.

He maybe acted like an a$$ and din`t explained why he is CONCERNED about you.

Don`t give up your friendship just yet. Talk to him, let him explain his concerns. If he failed doing so.. then as you said... Fug him.

If I`ve been an azz explaining my OPINION then fug me and go on with your life.

Back