GoPro captured my 'almost final minute'.....close call

As much as it pains me to say it, I gotta agree with Tuff, sorry Blanca.

cheers
ken

I'd spend all day being nice and letting folks in if it was that way .
Wasn't playing chicken i was in my lane at constant speed within limit .
Could have let off , shoulda braked ? Yes in hindsight I won't argue that point .
But still I'm right next to his open window and he makes no move and continues right over on me.
No way he didn't know he was running a biker off lane .

But now that's over and he's right behind me .
Right behind me.
I accelerate and pass car in front around to the right and he's still right behind me.
At this point he's chasing me and continuing the event .
I'm not gonna stop and we are already going 20 over in a 40 . I move over hoping he passes but he comes alongside and did things normal folks don't do .

Whenever sheot like this happens it always reminds me of a statement common in the bicycling world...."you might be right but you're still dead". Conflicts between bicycles and cars or motorcycles and cars almost always end up the same way....the rider is in the ER or the morgue and the driver is at the coffee shop after his car goes to the bodyshop. No matter how right you might think you are it's YOUR life that is in danger, not the driver of the car or truck. Ride safe.

Over the years I've had many people see me, use their blinker, and come over just knowing I'm gonna have to yield-and anymore I just give it to 'em and move on. Flip 'em off and get outta there. Years ago I would carry a 1" ball bearing from work and would take a windshield out for it but that was a long, long time ago and now every other cager is carrying here in the Detroit area-I'm sure Miami is similar. And the one's that aren't will use their car as a weapon! And after the first exchange I never woulda let him get close enough for a second. How did you know know he wasn't high on crank and just stole it to go shoot the friend he heard was doing his girl and here you come revin' your motor cussin' him out........just sayin' it ain't worth it. Avoidance at all costs.

Last edited:
Whenever sheot like this happens it always reminds me of a statement common in the bicycling world...."you might be right but you're still dead". Conflicts between bicycles and cars or motorcycles and cars almost always end up the same way....the rider is in the ER or the morgue and the driver is at the coffee shop after his car goes to the bodyshop. No matter how right you might think you are it's YOUR life that is in danger, not the driver of the car or truck. Ride safe.

+1 Always said I don't want my headstone to say "Here Lies Jeff-He Had The Right Of Way"

This is another prime example of why I do 5-10(closer to 10)mph faster than the flow of traffic around me. A cop pulls me over I will humbly explain and take the ticket but my life and my family is worth a ticket than getting injured or worse
Posted via Mobile Device

Glad your okay. Similar thing happened to a buddy of mine yesturday in his car. Got cut off, hand gestures occurred other driver of car pointed a gun at him. Luckliy there was a
State trooper a few cars behind. Friend slowed down and
waved down state officer. Other driver arrested.

56d85ae9.jpg

Aftermath.

Blanca, I see this in an entirely different view. I counted five cycles of the blinker before you reached the vehicle. YOU could have avoided the entire incident simply by closing the throttle for a couple of seconds. Not even a need for brakes!

Could the cager have been more courteous, sure. Looking in his mirror you were several car lengths behind him when he decided to change lanes. He gave you lots of room, it was you that closed the door and lost your cool because he only gave you five blinker cycles advanced notice of his move. I'd guess your closing speed was about 15 mph? How was he to know you were speeding? :dunno:

I don't know about Florida but here you are required only 3 cycles of the blinker before changing lanes.

IMHO, "Totally uncalled for"! :rulez:

I agree with Tuf you could have avoided with closing throttle, and letting the guy in, but the bottom line the driver of the car committed a traffic infraction. He has an obligation to change lanes safely, EVEN IF BLANCA was speeding. It was an unsafe lane change, and it would have cost him $124.00 in Washington. Also, the guy began his lane change as his blinker went on....it didn't blink 5 times before he began the lane change......

As for patting your gun, not a good idea tactically or legally.....but you already know that.

Last edited:
Some people may say you were travelling a little too fast, Blanca.
On the other hand, that guy acted like an idiot.

I say, screw him!

Blanca, I see this in an entirely different view. I counted five cycles of the blinker before you reached the vehicle. YOU could have avoided the entire incident simply by closing the throttle for a couple of seconds. Not even a need for brakes!

Could the cager have been more courteous, sure. Looking in his mirror you were several car lengths behind him when he decided to change lanes. He gave you lots of room, it was you that closed the door and lost your cool because he only gave you five blinker cycles advanced notice of his move. I'd guess your closing speed was about 15 mph? How was he to know you were speeding? :dunno:

I don't know about Florida but here you are required only 3 cycles of the blinker before changing lanes.

IMHO, "Totally uncalled for"! :rulez:

You are wrong. Watch the video closer. As his blinker lights up he is already starting to move into the next lane.

Glad you are ok.

Last edited:
Problem with recording and event is there is no disputing what actually happened. Slow reaction time and a lack of vigilent awareness of all traffic position and intentions contributed to your altercation.

Loved the Christian language BTW...:poke:

wow, been there a few times. some drivers like to provoke the situation which makes things worse. the best advice is to beat feet back home and take a break to cool down. you have a lot to lose (family, freedom, and life) if things turn sour. glad your alright!

I think I have to agree with yeilding to the car dont make a scene when someone cuts you off, just follow them and get off the bike, keep helmet on and head-bunt the clown.

Saiid, I have to agree with Tuf. You know who has the right-of-way? The one that has the LEAST to lose. Legally, you were right, the lane was yours, but it wouldn't keep you from being any deader. Brake, shake your head, wave a big "HELLOOO i'm out here!" and move on. That cager could have knocked you off our bike way before you ever got unholstered, and when you showed it might could even be argued self-defense ("officer, he was about to draw on me, my life was in danger...").

In addition, while you were spending all that time looking in your rearview at him, did you notice the truck that pulled out in front of you? Not close, but close enough that if he'd stopped for any reason, you wouldn't have been able to dodge him.

I'd keep that video, and I'd use it to remind me that a) no matter who is at fault, you are gonna lose; and b) Do not let stuff like that get the best of you or distract you from what's happening in FRONT OF YOU. Don't show it to the Dragon, she might kick your azz for almost making her a widow :poke:

Sorry you didn't have a good ride.

Saiid, I have to agree with Tuf. You know who has the right-of-way? The one that has the LEAST to lose. Legally, you were right, the lane was yours, but it wouldn't keep you from being any deader..

I'll yield to a cage every time. I have no desire to be dead right.

Back