Close calls

04busa007

Registered
So I was turning at a red light making a right hand turn. There was a car coming in the first lane, so I figured I'd give a bit of gas and go a lane over as a courtesy (could have just stayed in the same lane and gunned it). Anyway, I must have hit a patch of oil or something because as I was accellerating into the 2nd lane, my rear wheel came out from under me and I started doin some zig-zags. Thought I was gonna lose it but I pulled it back straight, first time something like that has happened to me, I'm kinda thinking my experience from riding dirt bikes is the only thing that kept me up (sliding all over the place on dirt was pretty similar). Anyone else had a similar experience or it'd be cool to hear some other close calls that you were able to get out of.

Close one eh? A few weeks ago I was riding my 82 CBX thru SF on 19th Ave to cross the GG bridge and on 19th there are a lot of intersections from side streets. At one point there are two red lights just a few yards away from eachother to allow for the odd angled side streets I suppose. On that day it was like riding thru a cloud, not raining but might as well have been as the streets were wet and slick. Just how slick, I was about to find out. As I applied a little rear brake to stop at the redlight the rear came around to my left so I began playing ABS with my right foot trying NOT to lock the wheel. Just thinking about the front brake made me sweat about a possible low side so I ended up sliding thru the first light and finally came to a stop in the crosswalk of the 2nd light. There had to have been an oil spill there because the road just couldn't have been that slippery from just the moisture. Sure was a pucker moment and nearly put me off my ride.

to many to list all of them. but the one that I was crossed up bad was with my old 600f4i. my rear tire ran over a flatened pop can (which is like hitting ice)and she was sideways bad.. I have no idea how I didn't go down.

Who has the worst close call story? Only recent one here was a kamakazi hubcap that came off a car rolling out in front of me from the side, lucky for me i saw it way ahead of time and was only in a 35mph zone. No telling what woulda happened if it got caught up in between a wheel.

Last edited:
Too many to mention but the closest one was when I was cruising down RT118 doing the speed limit of 45 mph here in Germantown (back when I had my R1)heading towards RT355 from Clopper Rd. As I was approaching Middlebrook Rd intersection, this old lady turned left in front of me. The thing is, she had the red arrow. It's not like yield on green. I don't know why she went. My bike fishtailed so bad as the rear brake locked up. I tried not to lock up the front and brake hard enough not to hit her car. I was inches away from hitting the right rear of her car. I was screaming inside my helmet in anger. I didn't panic. That's one thing I don't do but anger hit me like you wouldn't believe.

This.

Img_0969-truck.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a good one once going to Coronado Naval Air Station. Early morning, about 5am, I was coming up the last straight before the base, not much traffic, so I took my left hand off the grip to make sure my ID was still on my vest and straight. To do that I had to sit up. As I sat up I saw something fall off a pickup, go under a car, then shoot off it's tire at a funny angle. It was a piece of 2x4 agout 8 inches long flying at me. I did an OH SH@D! Tucked and felt it graze my helmet.

If I hadn't been checking my ID I wouldn't have had the right angle to see it coming and would have taken it somewhere in the helmet.

:moon: to people who don't secure their shid to their vehichles

Coming off Limecreek here in Austin turning left on to 1431 I hit oil in the road & the back end washed sideways. I always have my knee out & down (habit from roadracing) & went down on my knee slider. I was able to kick straight down & pop the bike back up. I then had to clean my leathers.

So I was turning at a red light making a right hand turn. There was a car coming in the first lane, so I figured I'd give a bit of gas and go a lane over as a courtesy (could have just stayed in the same lane and gunned it). Anyway, I must have hit a patch of oil or something because as I was accellerating into the 2nd lane, my rear wheel came out from under me and I started doin some zig-zags. Thought I was gonna lose it but I pulled it back straight, first time something like that has happened to me, I'm kinda thinking my experience from riding dirt bikes is the only thing that kept me up (sliding all over the place on dirt was pretty similar). Anyone else had a similar experience or it'd be cool to hear some other close calls that you were able to get out of.

Most likely hit the strip which will do the same and more.

+1 cagers never look!
Speaking of cager close calls. When I was in SD going home on the 8 one fine summer day. Traveling with traffic in the left hand lane. Merging cars start moving in, traffic starts slowing. I decided I would ensure that the car next to me knew I was there, to eliminate that "I didn't see him" crap. I pulled right next to this woman in an SUV, look up, and make eye contact. Now I feel like I am a bit more on the safe side, I continue to roll with traffic.

About 1/4 mile up the road comes some more merging traffic. I look over and the woman in the SUV is coming into my lane. I honk. She looks right at me, we again make eye contact, and she keeps coming over. I can't go forward, traffic, I can't slow down, traffic and staying there wasn't working. So I took a page out of a Harley buddy's book. I put my boot into her driver side door and start cursing at her. I know she couldn't hear me, but she could see my face. And the dent in the door should have been a clear indication that I was not alright with the situation... :whistle:

1981 cager turned left in front of me (imagine that) she saw me, panicked and locked em up and stopped in middle of my lane...

I slid sideways to a stop (old dirt bike habits die hard) and stopped about 2" off her bumper full broadside.. I remember looking at my leg, and her big old chrome bumper right there.. she looks at me like "so?"

Back