Fuel pump issues

Sounds like the typical insurance company crap. We were without power for 3 days after the last hurricane and my small generator died on the third day. Thankfully, power came back a couple of hours later and we didn’t lose all the stuff in the 2 refrigerators. This gave me the perfect excuse to get a bigger generator and breaker panel feeder setup to be ready for the next storm. Only thing left is a soft start for my central Air conditioning unit so I can run it off the generator if I have to, but a window unit would probably get us by. I find it funny how we have two completely opposite issues to worry about. :laugh:! I really hope I don’t have to put my new setup to the test any time soon, but we are better prepared now.
I have a Generac stand alone 10K generator with the Generac plug on the meter...it works great (normally) and when we had a 24hr power outage last summer, it ran my whole house including central air unit with ease and didn't even use a whole tank of fuel....

I have the generator in the garage now and I just went out and it will start....I will leave it in there and drag it over to my plug as I've blown a path with my snowblower....

Ummmm guys,have we finished with fuel pump chat or..... ?
my 14 year old jack russell is suffering in the heat, panting continuously and drinking lots of water too, poor boy, I'm going to shave his coat off today.
My 18 year old jack russell just sleeps all day but I have all the curtains drawn to keep out as much sun heat as possible, air con running thru the day, I do not know how he just keeps living, he's a special old boy dog!
back on topic . . . my external fuel pump has never been a problem since I replaced the internal filter and the pump motor and no, I don't bother with a pre pump inline filter,.
I hardly ride my Busa much lately, since getting the DL650 V-Strom in early August just gone, I've done 11,000kms on that bike and the Busa gets pulled out and started every 2nd weekend, I've taken it round the long block a few times and opened it up in 3rd gear to redline . . . exhilarating for a fleeting moment lol.

Ummmm guys,have we finished with fuel pump chat or..... ?
my 14 year old jack russell is suffering in the heat, panting continuously and drinking lots of water too, poor boy, I'm going to shave his coat off today.
My 18 year old jack russell just sleeps all day but I have all the curtains drawn to keep out as much sun heat as possible, air con running thru the day, I do not know how he just keeps living, he's a special old boy dog!
back on topic . . . my external fuel pump has never been a problem since I replaced the internal filter and the pump motor and no, I don't bother with a pre pump inline filter,.
I hardly ride my Busa much lately, since getting the DL650 V-Strom in early August just gone, I've done 11,000kms on that bike and the Busa gets pulled out and started every 2nd weekend, I've taken it round the long block a few times and opened it up in 3rd gear to redline . . . exhilarating for a fleeting moment lol.
I'd say we are taking a brief pause from the fuel pump but we will be back on track in a moment's notice when needed...

Heat is hard on the critters...cold is equally as hard on them....

The sad part is all my neighbors have had to put their old dogs down....there are only a few left now....it's hard on us non-dog owners as they used to all stop by to visit when I was out...there are a few younger dogs around now and I have them all spoiled rotten....

I have a Generac stand alone 10K generator with the Generac plug on the meter...it works great (normally) and when we had a 24hr power outage last summer, it ran my whole house including central air unit with ease and didn't even use a whole tank of fuel....

I have the generator in the garage now and I just went out and it will start....I will leave it in there and drag it over to my plug as I've blown a path with my snowblower....
Nice setup! I wanted a generac, but they are pricey. I did the poor man’s version of it with a 10,500watts duromax dual fuel generator and a 50amp. interlock kit on the main breaker box. Generator lives in the garage when not in use.

Last edited:
Nice setup! I wanted a generac, but they are pricey. I did the poor man’s version of it with a 10,500watts duromax dual fuel generator and a 50amp. interlock kit on the main breaker box. Generator lives in the garage.
My Generac is a stand alone probably similar to your Duromax as it is a similar power output...

The difference is the plug on the power meter...it is great as I didn't have to do anything with the distribution panel......I just plug it in and flip the breaker switch on the generator....

Update:

My fuel pump package got delayed and I decided to take my old one apart to be ready. Before I disassembled, I decided to try the system with an aftermarket relay becasue I was still suspicious of mine, even though, it tested good and gave me continuity when I activated it. I took an auto parts relay and wired it to the fuel pump relay connector with some spade terminals and wires I had laying around for a test and pump fired right up!!!!!!! So my problem all along was the relay. Is weird how the OEM relay tests good on the bench but fails to work correctly with a current draw on it from the pump. I took the pump apart anyways and plan on replacing the screen at the bottom and o-rings but I think I’ll keep her factory for now and save the external filter, hose and Bosch pump in my spare parts bin for whenever the OEM filter finally decides to plug up on me. After all, from my forum research, even guys like @WuzzaCBXRider are running around with stock components at 4 times the mileage I have, so I would hate not to get the most out of my oem system, before I start modifying things. Here are some pictures of how nice all looks….

7C076C39-2841-4511-8182-B277C2B895F7.jpeg

B8F991DD-277A-48C0-92F9-25ECEF856467.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
I have had relays test good and be bad before too, which I never quite understood.
I like to know what went wrong.
Regardless, I'm glad you got it fixed.
In the meantime...work on your pouring skills, lol

I have had relays test good and be bad before too, which I never quite understood.
LOL! Should go smoother this time since I’ll be pouring into the tank with my gas jug that has a nice spout.

Yeah I could have saved some money and time but I was rushing so could spend the weekend helping the in laws move and then work.

My fuel pump quit at 40thou km, replaced it with a, https://store.schnitzracing.com/aem...e85-fuel-pump-suzuki-gsx1300r-hayabusa-01-12/
Replacement pump has been running fine for 70thou km.

cheers
ken
Did you have a nasty looking filter/screen that might have restricted and overworked the pump? I was expecting to find a mess after seeing all the pictures only nasty looking filters on the forum, but I was surprised at how clean it all looked after 13 years and 19k miles.

Reactions: kml
Before my turbo install I also had a dying fuel pump. The bike is four years old. Realising I'd need a new OEM pump, RCC had a better aftermarket pump in their kit and half the price of OEM.

One of my reasons for turboing the bike, replaces all that OEM fuel pump hardware. I figured I'd do it all in one go.
I completed the fuel pump modification with the RCC 20Amp fuel pump relocated behind the engine with a much better fuel filter and set the regulator to 43 psi.

The OEM "teabag" filter certainly works as it should (for a while), but is a bit of a joke. The gen 2 was a very affordable bike brand new, but financial cut-backs are necessary to build it to a dollar value in order to pass those savings onto the retail customer. The effort gone into the OEM fuel system is clearly cheap.

Before undergoing the turbo build, after completing two major services in between log book between the minor services that I paid the mechanic for - I discovered he never changed out the fuel filter.

I have my old OEM pump on the shelf at home @mabupa I will test its DC resistance out of circuit. We'll see if yours is shorted. It can happen from overcurrent and wear over time. It's a tiny pump and even 10 amp over a period of time is a lot for that little guy.
Hahaha I love this logic. Needs a fuel pump, I should probably turbo it!!! :D

Please do not discount the fact that a clogged pump screen/filter caused by neglect and failure to replace it regularly, and perhaps bad/dirty fuel being used will add extra current load to the electric pump motor and the pump wears out prematurely due to this, hey, let's face it, who changes fuel filters on time intervals anyways??
Not many people bother with all the mess of fuel decanting and the resultant spillage etc.
But I get it, when you pay a mechanic to do a job, you kinda expect the job done.
You've got me interested re the fuel pump's current loading in amps, I'm going to put my ammeter on the fuse housing for the fuel pump while the bike is running and warmed up to normal temperature and actually see what the current load is in amps on that circuit.
View attachment 1662127
I’m glad it turned out to just be the relay but I agree. The fuel injectors are also sensitive to debris.

I posted this before but 13B RX7 is on here and put an external fuel filter on his bike. I want to do the same thing.

Did you have a nasty looking filter/screen that might have restricted and overworked the pump? I was expecting to find a mess after seeing all the pictures only nasty looking filters on the forum, but I was surprised at how clean it all looked after 13 years and 19k miles.
No the screens were spotless. The pump itself has had begun to fail and was not delivering the required pressure. It would idle and run under part throttle but not accept about half throttle. It would just sputter and die.

cheers
ken

I think what is happening when a relay tests ok but still won't work under load, is that the contacts in it just cannot carry a high current load due to being burnt and having a lot of resistance.
I've struck the same issue in testing, will show continuity across the contacts when power is applied when bench testing, but put the relay into service in the circuit, and it fails.

Took my 2009 hayabusa with 18k miles out for a much needed ride. Filled up tank and she started a little “funny” but all seemed good and I got back on the road. I jumped on the highway and set my cruise at around 70mph but she shutdown after a few minutes cruising at that speed. Looked down and looked like everything had power so I pulled in clutch and pushed the start button and she fired right up. Got off the highway and had to stop at a red light so she stalled again when I was starting to roll and I almost dumped her. FI light was flashing, but after cycling the key, she fired right up. Made it it to a safe place and she died for good. started troubleshooting and she is throwing code C41 and pump has no power, but relay passed bench test this morning and I can hit wire the pump and make it run. @sixpack577, I know you suggested bad pump and I’m starting to believe that. I woke up rested this morning and was able to do more troubleshooting with a clear head and in the comfort of my garage. It looks like with pump disconnected, when I turn the key, I get 12v at the connector for a couple of seconds and then drops like is supposed to, but that doesn’t happen if pump is plugged in. Checked continuity on the pump between ground and positive wire and got 0 ohms. Is it possible that this pump is starting to go bad and causing the problem? Not sure on the correct resistance reading (ohms) I should get on the pump. FI light is constantly flashing. Trying to make 100% sure what the problem is before firing the parts cannon since OEM fuel pumps are stupid expensive. Repair manual wasn’t much help and troubleshooting steps listed in it, I had already done. Ideas? @Kiwi Rider @sixpack577 @c10 and anybody else?
Any codes?

Back