A bit of a head scratcher

I'd like to find the rat bastard that designed the plug for the speed sensor......

I have no power getting to the ECU and checking it is one of the steps...
I really think you should try jumping out the side stand switch. It is free to do, and requires no ordering of parts. Possibly use a paperclip or you could use a wire nut if you want to be more aggressive.

After you get it going again, I'de ride it in Dealer Mode for a while.
That way you might catch a momentary fault.
I tore the thing right down and unplugged, cleaned and replugged each and every connector...there sure are a lot of them...I took all the fuses out, cleaned them then reinstalled them...

After so many, I'd turn the key to see if I made any success....after a while, I turned on the key and the fuel pump primed and it started right up....

I'm still scratching my head as I'm not 100% sure if what I did made the difference or if I moved a wire and that made a difference, I checked the entire harness and all exposed wires for any damage and found none...I took the kill switch apart and cleaned that as well....

I will put it in dealer mode and hope for the best....I think I'll order the plug from SmithaBusa unless you have an easier way to put it in dealer mode...I did a search on it and the responses are all over the map.

After you get it going again, I'de ride it in Dealer Mode for a while.
That way you might catch a momentary fault.
Found your old thread on the issue...we could have the same thing...??

Found your old thread on the issue...we could have the same thing...??

Wow...I don't even remember what the problem was
lol

Wow...I don't even remember what the problem was
lol
Sounds like the problem I'm having....

I just went out to the garage and everything is normal with the bike....

Maybe something was loose or dirty, I'm not sure as nothing stood our
t to me...I'll put it in dealer mode and hopefully it doesn't leave me stranded anywhere...

The local bike shop (Honda) with former Suzuki trained mechanics is booking end July right now....

Sounds like the problem I'm having....

I just went out to the garage and everything is normal with the bike....

Maybe something was loose or dirty, I'm not sure as nothing stood our
t to me...I'll put it in dealer mode and hopefully it doesn't leave me stranded anywhere...

The local bike shop (Honda) with former Suzuki trained mechanics is booking end July right now....

I remember an issue with the tip-over switch now, and I think that was it.
But, I had forgotten to put it back correctly, and it was causing the cutting out and no start.
I put it back right and no more problem.
That wouldn't be your issue, as you did not remove it, and they rarely go bad.
I would jump the kickstand switch temporarily, and ride it that way in dealer mode for a while.
The kickstand also does not have to be lose against the spring for the kickstand switch to fail either, so if the stand snaps up tight like it should, the switch could still be bad.

But, I had forgotten to put it back correctly, and it was causing the cutting out and no start.
I would jump the kickstand switch temporarily, and ride it that way in dealer mode for a while.
The kickstand also does not have to be lose against the spring for the kickstand switch to fail either, so if the stand snaps up tight like it should, the switch could still be bad.
I jumped the side stand switch and nothing changed....

I had the (-) chec in the small screen instead of the odometer so that does say side stand switch or kill switch....Side stand switches are cheap, I might pick one up anyway just in case...

What a pain in the arse...and I suck at most things electrical......figures....

Good idea. Check it anyway! Are these open where they slide in one's hand? Check that it is solidly mounted, check the movement, check the connection. Was this on the list of items you already went through when you hit all of the switches @Bumblebee?

I was going up a slight hill with a curve and it "bucked once" I thought "oh, oh..."

Do you recall the exact situation this last time the problem occurred?

Good idea. Check it anyway! Are these open where they slide in one's hand? Check that it is solidly mounted, check the movement, check the connection. Was this on the list of items you already went through when you hit all of the switches @Bumblebee?

Do you recall the exact situation this last time the problem occurred?
Yep, I went through all the switches and connectors as well as I changed out all the fuses for new ones just so I could check them off my box.

I didn't check the continuity of the switches because......well I suck at that....

The last time? I can recall all the times it occurred....first time was last summer out of the blue, the bike never had any issues whatsoever before that....

That time the FI light started flashing and a short time later it started to act like it was running on 2 cylinders....I kept riding to get as close to home as I could and about 3 kms later it bucked once and then took off like a shot...the FI light stayed flashing but it ran fine....I got it home and took the fuel pump out thinking it was bad fuel-I noticed the tea bag filter was nasty so I changed it.

The next time is described earlier in this thread.....but this time it didn't act like it was running on 2 cylinders, the FI light started flashing but the bike ran perfectly normal until it quit, I sat on the side of the road with power to the key but nothing on the small screen.....after a bit I tried the key and all of a sudden it was back to normal except the FI light...I got a few more KMs down the road and it repeated again....I got it home, shut if off, restarted and there was no FI light or any issue, it started and ran as normal...and did so for a few weeks...

Until yesterday, it started and ran as normal, I went about 10 kms to run an errand, it started and ran perfectly, I got a few kms towards home and the FI light started flashing and it ran on 2 cylinders until I got home......I shut it off and restarted and no FI light and it ran perfectly...

I put it in the garage and then turned on the key, the chec and (-) showed up in the dash and remained there until I started checking each and every connector, switch and fuse....I checked the key randomly and each time the "chec" was in the dash until one time it was back to normal and started right up....I have it in dealer mode but figure if there is still a bad connector somewhere, it won't pick up a fault....

It's frustrating and to be honest, after a whole riding career of wrenching on bikes, it grow weary of doing so and would rather ride than wrench these days...I don't mind the regular wrenching but when the bike becomes unreliable it's days are numbered....

It's frustrating and to be honest, after a whole riding career of wrenching on bikes, it grow weary of doing so and would rather ride than wrench these days...I don't mind the regular wrenching but when the bike becomes unreliable it's days are numbered....

I have never touched my vehicles except for oil changes and wheel swaps on the cars.

Today, my VFR is at my auto mechanic. It has been there forever, which is fine and this is one reason why I keep two bikes. He handles the bike in his special project area when the other special project is done, thus there is no timeline. Unfortunately the Hayabusa will need maintenance soon. With (only) 2300 miles from 2020 to now, it can use oil, swap the OEM coolant, and the rear brake has lost a lot of pressure just this season. I am finding that bikes are special projects for everyone, at least those that I trust. So I am now wondering, shall I get a lift and learn to do my own work? Money for a swap to a new one is not in the budget plus I like my bike. I have other hobbies and do not need this maintenance nonsense, I merely want to ride. On the seventh hand, I would have plenty of time for the work over the winter.

I now truly understand why many bikers perform their own maintenance. It seems to be the best compromise and one is somewhat forced into it if they want to ride.

I have never touched my vehicles except for oil changes and wheel swaps on the cars.

Today, my VFR is at my auto mechanic. It has been there forever, which is fine and this is one reason why I keep two bikes. He handles the bike in his special project area when the other special project is done, thus there is no timeline. Unfortunately the Hayabusa will need maintenance soon. With (only) 2300 miles from 2020 to now, it can use oil, swap the OEM coolant, and the rear brake has lost a lot of pressure just this season. I am finding that bikes are special projects for everyone, at least those that I trust. So I am now wondering, shall I get a lift and learn to do my own work? Money for a swap to a new one is not in the budget plus I like my bike. I have other hobbies and do not need this maintenance nonsense, I merely want to ride. On the seventh hand, I would have plenty of time for the work over the winter.

I now truly understand why many bikers perform their own maintenance. It seems to be the best compromise and one is somewhat forced into it if they want to ride.
I've always done my own maintenance and beyond...but I find I have little patience for head scratchers like this...

Unless I find a defined issue that I can actually attest to, I've lost confidence in the bike and will never enjoy a ride while in the back of my head will be wondering if I will be left on the side of the road somewhere....

If I had bought a new Gen 3 and had the issues we see owners on here having with them, I'd be very frustrated....

None of any of my bikes have ever left me on the side of the road...until this one.....

No, you mentioned disconnecting the Bazzaz.
I disconnected it when the chec (-) was on which did nothing...

I hooked the Bazzaz up to my laptop and it showed it was functioning normally....

In the manual when chec and (-) shows up they say to check the kill switch (isn't in the off position), the side stand switch and/or ignition switch is burnt...

I replaced all the fuses with new ones, took the kill switch apart and cleaned it, took the connector apart for the side stand switch and cleaned it...that seemed to take care of the 'chec' in the screen but I still don't know why the FI light was flashing and the bike either ran on 2 cylinders or shut down...

I disconnected it when the chec (-) was on which did nothing...

I hooked the Bazzaz up to my laptop and it showed it was functioning normally....

I cannot speak to issues with this item but plenty of Power Commanders have failed. They are computers, and despite having automotive level robustness, one cannot literally boil circuits and expect them to always work.

I do not trust that test to say the Bazzaz has no issues. I would ride without the Bazzaz and see what happens. As long as the stock fuel map is okay for your setup.

Since you said that the fuel filter was dirty, I would think that the injectors would need cleaned as well, you may also have one failing.
Cleaning them is cheap and easy.
Or, there are a few companies on ebay that will sell you reconditioned(cleaned with new filter caps and o-rings) oem Bosch injectors for under $100.
Filter cap and o-ring kits are around $20, if you only need those.
The stock filter caps will clean, and the o-rings can be reused if they have not torn or hardened(put vaseoline on new ones).
Maybe not your issue, but something to consider.

I cannot speak to issues with this item but plenty of Power Commanders have failed. They are computers, and despite having automotive level robustness, one cannot literally boil circuits and expect them to always work.

I do not trust that test to say the Bazzaz has no issues. I would ride without the Bazzaz and see what happens. As long as the stock fuel map is okay for your setup.
I'm not sure as the bike was dyno'd with the Bazzaz to get the AFR to a proper level with my bolt ons and flash...

What's troubling is it is just so intermittent.....I could see the fueling system being at fault but there was such a long duration between the first fault and the second where it got dramatically worse to the point of shut down...then this latest issue where it acted the same as the first time...

I have it in dealer mode but am not going to ride it until next week as I have a couple maintenance things to do-change oil (awaiting filter) and I will change out that side stand switch, I have a new one coming which was around $20.00 so not bad.

Right now in the garage, it will fire right up just like it normally does and sounds really crisp and strong...

Back