A bit of a head scratcher

Since you said that the fuel filter was dirty, I would think that the injectors would need cleaned as well, you may also have one failing.
Cleaning them is cheap and easy.
Or, there are a few companies on ebay that will sell you reconditioned(cleaned with new filter caps and o-rings) oem Bosch injectors for under $100.
Filter cap and o-ring kits are around $20, if you only need those.
The stock filter caps will clean, and the o-rings can be reused if they have not torn or hardened(put vaseoline on new ones).
Maybe not your issue, but something to consider.
I gave the injectors a cleaning, they were spraying perfectly and the bike when it was running was very, very strong....I even did that "mach chicken" run with the baton one day and it was a real monster....

I've noted that even when getting a little heavy handed with the throttle lately it will pick the front tire up in a shift from 2-3rd which is something it didn't do before that I noticed...

Like I said, this is a real head scratcher...

I gave the injectors a cleaning, they were spraying perfectly and the bike when it was running was very, very strong....I even did that "mach chicken" run with the baton one day and it was a real monster....

I've noted that even when getting a little heavy handed with the throttle lately it will pick the front tire up in a shift from 2-3rd which is something it didn't do before that I noticed...

Like I said, this is a real head scratcher...

Yeah, I didn't think it would be injectors at this point, and I love intermitent electrical problems....

I will have to look at perhaps disconnecting the Bazzaz and ride for a little while to see if any issues arise...

I wonder how disconnected it has to be as there is a big harness for this thing that runs to all the injectors, CO2 sensor plug (I have the delete)....

I wonder if I can just unplug the Bazzaz unit itself without causing issues?

How about a trade in on a new Gen3?
You can make it yellow over the winter
Imagine the first time I had an issue with the brakes, hard starting, QS and I'd have a melt down....at least with an older bike some shenanigan's are expected.....

I did mention the idea to the wife and she looked less than amused....

The sad part of it is she needs a new car and is stubborn as a mule about going to order one....until she gets one, my guilt of buying something for myself is too strong...

I will have to look at perhaps disconnecting the Bazzaz and ride for a little while to see if any issues arise...

I wonder how disconnected it has to be as there is a big harness for this thing that runs to all the injectors, CO2 sensor plug (I have the delete)....

I wonder if I can just unplug the Bazzaz unit itself without causing issues?

It is a Piggyback module like a PowerCommander is, so once it's unplugged, it can no longer communicate with the ecu, and it's the same as it being removed from the bike.
The engine will also run well, and more importantly, it'll still run safely on the stock a/f map with the full Yoshimura exhaust, just not as good.
It is a possibility too, as I have seen and heard of more Bazazz failing than PC's over the years.
My friend wanted one(still does) for the '18 Gsxr1k, so that he can run a second a/f map for E85.
But, with Bazazz out of business, not to mention high prices on used units, they are no longer confidence inspiring to use.
And unless you are very tech savy(I am not), then repairing a Bazazz correctly can be an expensive gamble.
It will be interesting to hear what you find, but, at this point, if you are keeping the bike, you really have no choice but to keep riding it and hope the problem happens again, in the hopes of determining exactly what it is.

It is a Piggyback module like a PowerCommander is, so once it's unplugged, it can no longer communicate with the ecu, and it's the same as it being removed from the bike.
The engine will also run well, and more importantly, it'll still run safely on the stock a/f map with the full Yoshimura exhaust, just not as good.
It is a possibility too, as I have seen and heard of more Bazazz failing than PC's over the years.
My friend wanted one(still does) for the '18 Gsxr1k, so that he can run a second a/f map for E85.
But, with Bazazz out of business, not to mention high prices on used units, they are no longer confidence inspiring to use.
And unless you are very tech savy(I am not), then repairing a Bazazz correctly can be an expensive gamble.
It will be interesting to hear what you find, but, at this point, if you are keeping the bike, you really have no choice but to keep riding it and hope the problem happens again, in the hopes of determining exactly what it is.
When I plugged in the Bazzaz I did note it didn't get any updates like it did when Bazzaz was still doing business..

I am going to unplug it and run for a while to see if it is the culprit....I have a ZFI system on it as well which I will unplug...

Hell, I might just go in and take the entire unit off...I only use the one map anyway and don't ride the bike hard enough to really get much out of an enhanced map.

I know the Bazzaz map I was running put the AFR at almost a perfect number and when I had it flashed, they didn't mess with the AFR map because I already had the Bazzaz map (s). I may send it in again and send the Bazzaz map so they can get the ECU close so it doesn't have to be on a dyno.

Well, you can't unplug the Bazzaz main unit and have the bike run...it won't start and the FI light comes on...I might have to take the entire harness and system out to make sure it isn't the Bazzaz acting up, there is no tech support or downloads anymore..

It currently has an O2 sensor delete...can I keep this or should I plug the O2 sensor back into the harness I wonder?

Tore down, Bazzaz removed, dealer mode engaged, bike ridden a short distance minus fairings..so far so good......

I have everything crossed including my eyes that this cures the bikes ails....

IMG_0698.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

Does make sense that a piece of the software was going bad, especially due to how long it was lasting before the fault re appears.

The potential issue would not be software but hardware. An integrated circuit that is failing at a certain temperature. Fractured solder joints may expand when hot or high impedance from heat damage may interrupt the processing. Similar things happen to a bike’s switches, rectifier, even fuses, working at room temperature but failing when heated due to material degradation.

The potential issue would not be software but hardware. An integrated circuit that is failing at a certain temperature. Fractured solder joints may expand when hot or high impedance from heat damage may interrupt the processing. Similar things happen to a bike’s switches, rectifier, even fuses, working at room temperature but failing when heated due to material degradation.
That's a hard thing to trace.....

Hopefully by taking the Bazzaz systems off, I've sorted out the issue....

Back