Fuel pump issues

mabupa

Donating Member
Registered
Took my 2009 hayabusa with 18k miles out for a much needed ride. Filled up tank and she started a little “funny” but all seemed good and I got back on the road. I jumped on the highway and set my cruise at around 70mph but she shutdown after a few minutes cruising at that speed. Looked down and looked like everything had power so I pulled in clutch and pushed the start button and she fired right up. Got off the highway and had to stop at a red light so she stalled again when I was starting to roll and I almost dumped her. FI light was flashing, but after cycling the key, she fired right up. Made it it to a safe place and she died for good. started troubleshooting and she is throwing code C41 and pump has no power, but relay passed bench test this morning and I can hit wire the pump and make it run. @sixpack577, I know you suggested bad pump and I’m starting to believe that. I woke up rested this morning and was able to do more troubleshooting with a clear head and in the comfort of my garage. It looks like with pump disconnected, when I turn the key, I get 12v at the connector for a couple of seconds and then drops like is supposed to, but that doesn’t happen if pump is plugged in. Checked continuity on the pump between ground and positive wire and got 0 ohms. Is it possible that this pump is starting to go bad and causing the problem? Not sure on the correct resistance reading (ohms) I should get on the pump. FI light is constantly flashing. Trying to make 100% sure what the problem is before firing the parts cannon since OEM fuel pumps are stupid expensive. Repair manual wasn’t much help and troubleshooting steps listed in it, I had already done. Ideas? @Kiwi Rider @sixpack577 @c10 and anybody else?

I had a similar issue last summer with my '09...I was riding along minding my own business when the FI light started flashing and the bike ran on what felt like 2 cylinders.....I limped along just hoping to make it home when all of a sudden it cleared and almost ripped me off the back as I was at 3/4 throttle trying to keep a little road speed....all of a sudden I had real 3/4 throttle...

It ran fine and I got home....the FI light went away....I shut it off and restarted, it ran fine with no light. I decided to take it around the block, the FI light came on but it ran fine..

I took the pump out of the tank and checked all the connections in the harness-I unplugged and plugged in each and every harness plug. I noted the filter looked like a tea bag that was left out in the sun for a year so I changed that out.

After all this, I started it up and have never had an issue since, I should have done the wire mod to retrieve a code I suppose....

Not that our issues are the same, but it is ironic we both have "09s and both have/had pump issues

I
I had a similar issue last summer with my '09...I was riding along minding my own business when the FI light started flashing and the bike ran on what felt like 2 cylinders.....I limped along just hoping to make it home when all of a sudden it cleared and almost ripped me off the back as I was at 3/4 throttle trying to keep a little road speed....all of a sudden I had real 3/4 throttle...

It ran fine and I got home....the FI light went away....I shut it off and restarted, it ran fine with no light. I decided to take it around the block, the FI light came on but it ran fine..

I took the pump out of the tank and checked all the connections in the harness-I unplugged and plugged in each and every harness plug. I noted the filter looked like a tea bag that was left out in the sun for a year so I changed that out.

After all this, I started it up and have never had an issue since, I should have done the wire mod to retrieve a code I suppose....

Not that our issues are the same, but it is ironic we both have "09s and both have/had pump issues
Thanks for the info!! I want to take the pump out but I have half a tank of gas left and I hate dealing with gas. Might not have a choice since I’m really curious if something came lose in there. That would make my day since a new is $800 and I don’t want to pay $300 on eBay for a used pump that’s just as old. Looks like in 2013 the part number changed and a closer look shows that the hose connection on the newer pumps points the opposite way (maybe to accommodate the ABS pump?) and don’t have a filter. 2013 and up pumps seem to be going for $500 new, so big difference in price.

I

Thanks for the info!! I want to take the pump out but I have half a tank of gas left and I hate dealing with gas. Might not have a choice since I’m really curious if something came lose in there. That would make my day since a new is $800 and I don’t want to pay $300 on eBay for a used pump that’s just as old. Looks like in 2013 the part number changed and a closer look shows that the hose connection on the newer pumps points the opposite way (maybe to accommodate the ABS pump?) and don’t have a filter. 2013 and up pumps seem to be going for $500 new, so big difference in price.
You can use a 2013 pump, just get the hose and turn the t piece the opposite way. Both my K8’s run the updated fuel pumps.

I

Can you siphon out the fuel? I had to do that myself.

I prefer oem parts, but have had good luck with this brand in the past in gsxr600's and a 1k...as most people don't want to pay oem prices.

But, I second what @Bumblebee said about the filter screen.
Dumping the half tank of gas is easy too.
Lift your tank, unhook the fuel line(one clip on the hose), and unbolt the hinge.
With the tank now in your hands, most of the gas will pour out of the filler with the cap open.
Then close the cap, turn the tank over and unbolt the pump cover and lift it out.
You can pour the rest of the gas out through the hole the pump bolts into, then when it's almost all out, you can open the cap again as a vent, and any gas left will come out the pump opening.
You may get by just cleaning the filter screen, if it is indeed clogged up.

Speaking of siphoning and garden hoses,

I remember the good old days of my youth siphoning gas out of my dad's pickup truck for my dirt bike, it had a steel tank which was not bolted on so I could take it off to put the gas in. I'd then throw some 2 stroke oil in, give it a couple shakes and back on the bike....if it smoked too much I added more gas, if it didn't smoke enough, I added more oil....it was a scientific experiment to see how long the engine would last...surprisingly enough it lasted a long time...

//back to the scheduled thread now//

I am mechanically inclined at a level of zero but I siphon gas. The modern siphons work great, with big bulbs that create flow with one or two squeezes. No lips are required. (If you need lips then get a relative you do not like to assist.)

I use this one and love it:

Was just looking at those. Pretty simple and I can add it to my tool bag I carry on the bike “just in case”.

hand pump harbor freight 8 bucks will get 95% of fuel out of tank . have some one help hold both hoses in tank , and gas can . as you hand pump the hoses tend to fly out and spray gas everywhere . Ask me how I know .
Thanks, Bryan. I’m debating on getting a Bosch pump to adapt to this OEM assembly and save the $800 for a new oem unit.

Do you guys have any idea what the resistance should be between positive and negative lead on the pump? Since I have continuity between the two, I would think the pump has problems, but not sure why is not blowing any fuses.

Back