Fuel pump issues

Well, pump is out……. But still managed to get fuel all over the place :sad:. Just dumped it all in a 5 gallon bucket and then transferred it to my gas jug.

Sorry man, I know it can be frustrating sometimes.
Give a cheaper pump a try.
I'm all for oem...but alot of times...they're all made in the same place anyway.

What did the filter look like?
Is it clogged?

Sorry man, I know it can be frustrating sometimes.
Give a cheaper pump a try.
I'm all for oem...but alot of times...they're all made in the same place anyway.

What did the filter look like?
Is it clogged?
I took it out of the tank and ran out of the house to an appointment. Had to spray half a bottle of perfume on myself to hide the gas smell. :laugh: !! Have a Bosch pump on the way. Figured for $85 it’s worth giving it a try. I’m all for OEM too but $800 plus is a hefty price tag and I don’t see the point of paying $350 for an eBay pump as old as mine. As for the filter, I haven’t looked at it and won’t be able to do anything else until next week because we’ll be driving to 2hrs away to spend the weekend helping some family members move.

I took it out of the tank and ran out of the house to an appointment. Had to spray half a bottle of perfume on myself to hide the gas smell. :laugh: !! Have a Bosch pump on the way. Figured for $85 it’s worth giving it a try. I’m all for OEM too but $800 plus is a hefty price tag and I don’t see the point of paying $350 for an eBay pump as old as mine. As for the filter, I haven’t looked at it and won’t be able to do anything else until next week because we’ll be driving to 2hrs away to spend the weekend helping some family members move.

Always at the best time...gotta love it, lol.

Do you guys have any idea what the resistance should be between positive and negative lead on the pump? Since I have continuity between the two, I would think the pump has problems, but not sure why is not blowing any fuses.
Hey bud, I just put the meter on my spare OEM (original '99 Busa pump motor with 70,000 miles on it) pump motor and it showed 6 ohms resistance across the two terminals. . . NOT 6K ohms, just 6 ohms, the pump was working fine but I replaced it anyway (preventative maintenance) with a Hamilton Motorsports pump motor I bought from Ebay USA.
I hope this gives a reference point for you to consider when dealing with your pump motor Miguel.
As the others have all said, I'd replace the screen/sock and check the connections etc, if I was you.
Here's a pump motor that will fit straight into your OEM housing . . .

Last edited:
Hahaha. . . oldest trick in the book!

Before my turbo install I also had a dying fuel pump. The bike is four years old. Realising I'd need a new OEM pump, RCC had a better aftermarket pump in their kit and half the price of OEM.

One of my reasons for turboing the bike, replaces all that OEM fuel pump hardware. I figured I'd do it all in one go.
I completed the fuel pump modification with the RCC 20Amp fuel pump relocated behind the engine with a much better fuel filter and set the regulator to 43 psi.

The OEM "teabag" filter certainly works as it should (for a while), but is a bit of a joke. The gen 2 was a very affordable bike brand new, but financial cut-backs are necessary to build it to a dollar value in order to pass those savings onto the retail customer. The effort gone into the OEM fuel system is clearly cheap.

Before undergoing the turbo build, after completing two major services in between log book between the minor services that I paid the mechanic for - I discovered he never changed out the fuel filter.

I have my old OEM pump on the shelf at home @mabupa I will test its DC resistance out of circuit. We'll see if yours is shorted. It can happen from overcurrent and wear over time. It's a tiny pump and even 10 amp over a period of time is a lot for that little guy.

Hey bud, I just put the meter on my spare OEM (original '99 Busa pump motor with 70,000 miles on it) pump motor and it showed 6 ohms resistance across the two terminals. . . NOT 6K ohms, just 6 ohms, the pump was working fine but I replaced it anyway (preventative maintenance) with a Hamilton Motorsports pump motor I bought from Ebay USA.
I hope this gives a reference point for you to consider when dealing with your pump motor Miguel.
As the others have all said, I'd replace the screen/sock and check the connections etc, if I was you.
Here's a pump motor that will fit straight into your OEM housing . . .
Really appreciate the info, Greg. I’ll compare and update this thread. I have a Bosch coming and price was comparable to the one you linked. Also ordered new OEM screen, O-ring and some other rubber grommets. Figured it was best to do all that while I’m in there.

It sounds like your bike is a lot newer than mine so you probably have the newer (and cheaper) pump. I have learned that up to 2012 Suzuki used a pump assembly that had the “tea bag” plus a canister with some media inside. Suzuki then changed it and eliminated that canister thing and those pumps cost about $500 new, but the one for my 2009 Is $800 plus new. The one in mine I guess does offer better filtration than the newer one with the sock only, but it sure comes at a cost and they are know to clog up and some people end up drilling through that canister and then add an inline filter. Anyways, Looking forward to your continuity test results to see if they are close to @Kiwi Rider numbers.

Last edited:
- I discovered he never changed out the fuel filter.

I have my old OEM pump on the shelf at home @mabupa I will test its DC resistance out of circuit. We'll see if yours is shorted. It can happen from overcurrent and wear over time. It's a tiny pump and even 10 amp over a period of time is a lot for that little guy.
Please do not discount the fact that a clogged pump screen/filter caused by neglect and failure to replace it regularly, and perhaps bad/dirty fuel being used will add extra current load to the electric pump motor and the pump wears out prematurely due to this, hey, let's face it, who changes fuel filters on time intervals anyways??
Not many people bother with all the mess of fuel decanting and the resultant spillage etc.
But I get it, when you pay a mechanic to do a job, you kinda expect the job done.
You've got me interested re the fuel pump's current loading in amps, I'm going to put my ammeter on the fuse housing for the fuel pump while the bike is running and warmed up to normal temperature and actually see what the current load is in amps on that circuit.
H3eb7b5bc2290414bb1f37e8420ac8fa7L.jpg

Please do not discount the fact that a clogged pump screen/filter caused by neglect and failure to replace it regularly, and perhaps bad/dirty fuel being used will add extra current load to the electric pump motor and the pump wears out prematurely due to this, hey, let's face it, who changes fuel filters on time intervals anyways??
Not many people bother with all the mess of fuel decanting and the resultant spillage etc.
But I get it, when you pay a mechanic to do a job, you kinda expect the job done.
You've got me interested re the fuel pump's current loading in amps, I'm going to put my ammeter on the fuse housing for the fuel pump while the bike is running and warmed up to normal temperature and actually see what the current load is in amps on that circuit.
View attachment 1662127
I have to admit I had never done any kind of servicing to my fuel system until now. Curious to see what I’ll find in there. I’m also debating if I should do the “filter mod” and drill this filter canister and then put an external filter on. I’ve never had any fuel starvation issue though.

I had never seen that before but I like that little amp meter.

I have to admit I had never done any kind of servicing to my fuel system until now. Curious to see what I’ll find in there. I’m also debating if I should do the “filter mod” and drill this filter canister and then put an external filter on. I’ve never had any fuel starvation issue though.

I had never seen that before but I like that little amp meter.
Yeah, it’s a cool idea to plug it into any fuse holder to look at the current draw on that particular circuit… it like a window into the electrical system lol.

You’re up late Bill, it’s 1.34am here and It’s 22deg C outside with a full moon… I love staying up late when it’s summer evening conditions like this!

View attachment 1662128
It's 0740 here Greg and a balmy -40'C but sunny.....

I too like staying up late during a summer evening....we often have a bonfire with the neighbors and sit out looking at the stars to see if we can see any moving around (and we often do).

@Kiwi Rider
let's face it, who changes fuel filters on time intervals anyways??
I do , on my 2000 , petcock to fuelpump with inline Mann filter .
Every 7,5 K at oil plus oil filter i change the inline mann filter, cost 10 Euro at VAG/Audi dealer
I change 1 time all filter in externe fuelpump cost BIG MONEY .
On the same time i did fit the mann inline filter .
Glad i did it , never got any problems , even the injector tiny mesh filters are OUT .

Yikes!!! That’s cold!!!
You aren't wrong there...I was outside for a short time and when I came back in my mustache was a ball of ice...

We lost power so I went out to start my home generator, there was no way in heck that was going to start as the oil must be like molasses....and it's the winter oil...I couldn't even pull start it....

You aren't wrong there...I was outside for a short time and when I came back in my mustache was a ball of ice...

We lost power so I went out to start my home generator, there was no way in heck that was going to start as the oil must be like molasses....and it's the winter oil...I couldn't even pull start it....
Doesn’t sound like fun. Do you have a wood burning fireplace to stay warm?

Doesn’t sound like fun. Do you have a wood burning fireplace to stay warm?
No as the insurance premium is crazy if you have one..

Luckily the power was only out for a while and the temperature in our home never dropped a degree...good insulation is a must...

I have the generator in the garage now and will leave it there....I made a little shack resembling an outhouse that I stored it in before...I guess that will be a spring, summer and fall storage area now..

No as the insurance premium is crazy if you have one..

Luckily the power was only out for a while and the temperature in our home never dropped a degree...good insulation is a must...

I have the generator in the garage now and will leave it there....I made a little shack resembling an outhouse that I stored it in before...I guess that will be a spring, summer and fall storage area now..
Sounds like the typical insurance company crap. We were without power for 3 days after the last hurricane and my small generator died on the third day. Thankfully, power came back a couple of hours later and we didn’t lose all the stuff in the 2 refrigerators. This gave me the perfect excuse to get a bigger generator and breaker panel feeder setup to be ready for the next storm. Only thing left is a soft start for my central Air conditioning unit so I can run it off the generator if I have to, but a window unit would probably get us by. I find it funny how we have two completely opposite issues to worry about. :laugh:! I really hope I don’t have to put my new setup to the test any time soon, but we are better prepared now.

Back