Fender & Fairing 120 LED Signals

(jimmyangel36s @ Aug. 09 2007,16:44) post a pic of what you have, and a list of what LED,s you used. need to know the info that the manufacturers would give you, like this

Emitted Colour : ULTRA RED
Forward Voltage (V) : 1.8 ~ 2.2
Luminous Intensity Typ Iv (mcd) : Average in 8000
Max Continuous Forward Current : 30mA
Orange leds and the only info is

5mm

3.2v-3.8v

MCD5000

i used the calculator that infinity gave me and cross referenced it with the one at http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz and if you run 13.7 vots source with an output of 25mA and 2 sets of 6 in parallel, you can use either a single 39 ohm 1/4 wat resistors. you must have your figures mixed up. if you give me an address that i can send a word file to, i'll help you out with what i saw. also. where you located at. i'm in the St louis Missouri area, if your close by, i'll see what i can do. i learned a lot from infinity and want to give hime a serious shout out!!!

I used
13000mcd white LEDs, 3.2 - 3.6v, 25mA typical
5000mcd orange LEDs, 1.8 - 2.2v, 25mA typical

Make sure you read the specs on whatever LEDs you buy, they do differ.

(jimmyangel36s @ Aug. 09 2007,19:52) i used the calculator that infinity gave me and cross referenced it with the one at http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz and if you run 13.7 vots source with an output of 25mA and 2 sets of 6 in parallel, you can use either a single 39 ohm 1/4 wat resistors. you must have your figures mixed up. if you give me an address that i can send a word file to, i'll help you out with what i saw. also. where you located at. i'm in the St louis Missouri area, if your close by, i'll see what i can do. i learned a lot from infinity and want to give hime a serious shout out!!!
I did them all in parallel not series. i know what you are saying but I wanted them in parallel so when one gos out they still work if you do it like they want to do it if one blows out the whole light is done.

You is set set in series in parallel

I want all 12 like this

parallel_photo.png

Wire them in both to reduce the number of resistors. LEDs are suppose to last 100,000 hours anyways so "techincally" one should never burn out if wired in parallel.

(InfiniteReality @ Aug. 09 2007,20:19) That's gonna take alot of resistors.
I know that is why i do not want to do 12 like that but i cannmot find the right resistor, to wire 12 in parallel I need a 39ohm 3.5 watt resisotr. do you know where I can find of what I can do

(InfiniteReality @ Aug. 09 2007,20:22) Wire them in both to reduce the number of resistors.  LEDs are suppose to last 100,000 hours anyways so "techincally" one should never burn out if wired in parallel.
like this

parallel_photo.png

(jimmyangel36s @ Aug. 09 2007,19:52) i used the calculator that infinity gave me and cross referenced it with the one at http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz and if you run 13.7 vots source with an output of 25mA and 2 sets of 6 in parallel, you can use either a single 39 ohm 1/4 wat resistors. you must have your figures mixed up. if you give me an address that i can send a word file to, i'll help you out with what i saw. also. where you located at. i'm in the St louis Missouri area, if your close by, i'll see what i can do. i learned a lot from infinity and want to give hime a serious shout out!!!
Do you mean like this

g.png

(InfiniteReality @ Aug. 15 2007,04:13) If I remember right I used 3 resistors per peg.  But that's just how I wired them, you can use less....or more.
I would love to know who you did it.
All the calculators use to many resisotrs for me.
Can you draw or show picture

I wired them in sets of 12. For the whites, I probably wired 3 sets of 4 LEDs in series and paralleled each set per resistor.

Might be easier to explain this way.... To calculate it, calc the resistor size for 4 LEDs in series using the calcuators then divide that calc'd number by the number of sets of you have and that's the size resistor to use. FYI, I wouldn't recommend running more than 5 sets in parallel per resistor.

so for my leds let say the number is 39 ohms for a 4 light string

If i wanted to make a 12 light set I would need 3 strings or 4

That would be 13 ohms. but my question is how many would i need 1 or 3 one for each set

Now this one sayes that the ohm is 4.7 for 1 strip but it says I have to use a 4.7 for every strip

If I did them like you say I would need 1 1.5ohm or 3 1.5ohms

scan0001.jpg

(InfiniteReality @ Aug. 15 2007,14:23) Nope that ones does the parallel for you, so go with what size they recommend.
I know I was just showing so that you could show me another way
this is one strand in series this is what i was talking about

Now this one sayes that the ohm is 4.7 for  1 strip but it says I have to use a 4.7 for every strip

If I did them like you say I would need 1 1.5ohm or 3 1.5ohms

scan0001.jpg

Back