84 led tail turn signals - opinions please

InfiniteReality

Registered
Figured I'd cross post this..

I cut out 2 circuit boards to fill the opening on the tail and painted them silver.  I was able to fit 84 orange 5000mcd LEDs per side.  I wired 6 LEDs in series and 2 sets of those per 33ohm resistor.  They'll operate with my signals only, no running light.

Before I glue these boards to the inside of my tail, do you think it'd look better if I made a grille?  It'd be made out of the same material people on the board make them out of and I'd powder coat it black or silver.  It'd cover up the LEDs a little bit.  Think I should or just go as it is?

IMGP2459.jpg

IMGP2463.jpg

IMGP2472.jpg

IMGP2521.jpg

IMGP2519.jpg

IMGP2502.jpg

IMGP2506.jpg

IMGP2507.jpg

IMGP2513.jpg

<!--EDIT|InfiniteReality
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152044919 -->

Those are awesome. Yes a grill would be great. Can you post the math for the decision to use the 33ohm resistor. Also, do your flashers blink at the stock rate?

Don

Looks good but i think it needs something to cover it... maybe a screen or something... where did you get the LED's to make this... i'm trying to make my own stuff but cant find any LED's that are bright enough to do what i want...

Here's where I've gotten some LEDs before with good luck:
http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/led/LE1007.htm

Now the ones I used aren't near as bright as the circuit I made for my UFO undertail. I used 122 red 20000mcd LEDs for it. Each LED is 4x as bright as the orange ones I used for this.

I think I'm going to make some grills for them and for the side plastics as well. What color should I go with, silver or black?

Silver or Black... Depends on how the rest of the bike is accented.

Don
Well, I have both on the bike. Black is definitely less used as a color. I'm thinking silver would look better on the tail, then black for the side plastics...

Maybe after I make them, I'll see what silver looks like and paint the other side black. Then I can compare and when I decide, I'll drop them all off to get powder coated. I need to go to Lowes and get the stuff to make them!

Let us know. I am going to use the sites you left to make some led lighting for behind the fairings, I think.

Don

that is really
cool.gif
, how does it look frome the back?
Can you see the blinking good enough to see which direction you are going?

that is really
cool.gif
, how does it look frome the back?
Can you see the blinking good enough to see which direction you are going?
From the direct center of the tail, you can't see the boards. But move over a bit and you can. At night the LEDs will emit a spot light towards the ground. Not 100% sure how it'll look when mounted on the bike, but pics and video are sure to follow!

Grills would be cool, But I dunno if the red is too bright out the sides LEOs might take issue...

But a directional grill or simply laying the LEDs over to point out the back would prolly fix it. I'd love to see some pictures of how it looks from the rear.

Dang, I've been lazy. Did the hard part and STILL haven't made the grills!!! Too much other crap going on, hard to find time to even ride!
sad.gif
They'll be strictly signals, so I hope cops don't mind me wanting to be seen more. I'd assume it'd be no worse than Goldwings with 2000000000000 lights on theirs?

I'd assume it'd be no worse than Goldwings with 2000000000000 lights on theirs?
I have to agree with that ! I was riding at 5 a.m.to work one morning and saw something that resembled a ufo coming at me from half a mile away . When it passed , I laughed my azz off .....a Goldwing with lights on every square inch of the front .

Back