My 48 LED Kanji Mirrors

InfiniteReality

Registered
I've been seeing pictures of these around for a while on the forum and no one makes them so I took a stab at it. I decided fit 24 red 20000mcd LEDs inside each mirror. They aren't typical red LEDs either(8000mcd), they're 1.5x brighter as well. These are the same LEDs I used to make my 122 LED UFO tail lights. All went well with popping the mirrors out, but putting them back in is a PITA. I drew/traced the emblems in CAD and printed them mirrored and to the exact size I wanted. Then traced it the emblems out with an exacto knife on some vinyl sticker I had laying around. I put it on the back of the mirrors and only left just the Kanji exposed. Then broke out the the $15 sandblasting gun I bought and sandblasted the back. Peeled the stick off and popped them back in the housings. Wired up the bike so that the wire comes right up the middle of the mount and drilled a few holes (none of which can be seen) so no wires are showing.

Total LED Count...so far
122 red 20000mcd LEDs - UFO Undertail Taillights
168 orange 8000mcd LEDs - Rear Tail Signals
40 switchback LEDs - Front Parking/Turn Signals
7 blue LEDs - Raptor Shift Light
48 red 20000mcd LEDs - Kanji Mirrors

TOTAL: 385

IMGP2362.jpg

IMGP2377.jpg

IMGP2367.jpg

IMGP2371.jpg

IMGP2400.jpg

SNC10636.jpg

SNC10626.jpg

SNC10629.jpg

Very nice, hope you are ready for all the "How much to get mine done" questions!
You could make a few bucks doing that, even for other types of bikes!
I just looked again, Dang they be bright!

Thanks for the props!  I wish it was my idea but I copied the idea from someone else, just put alot brighter LEDs and 6x as many.
smile.gif
Materials aren't really that much:

Gravity fed sandblaster
sand
vinyl
exacto knife
paper with printed Kanji's
heatgun

As far as a schematic for the boards, they're easy to wire.  Had 3 LEDs in series with 4 sets of those per resistor.  I can calc the resistor size again, but it'll be different if you're using typical 8000mcd LEDs since they require only 1.8-2.2v.  Best bet is to just get something like this and cut the wires off the back
1157_36_r_wm.jpg

from here:
http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

I know I can't make any of them for anyone because I've read that people have gotten crap from some business for making and selling them.  It's BS in my opinion, but that's what I know.  At one point in time Sangai use to make them as well as another person.  Sorry i'm not more help.

Back