84 led tail turn signals - opinions please

old post, has anyone mounted or tested them

Greg
rock.gif

(InfiniteReality @ Sep. 11 2006,17:12) UPDATE!!  
jump9.gif

Finally got the time to finish the last tail grill last night and just dropped the tail grills to be powdercoated silver.  I also dropped off my G2 plate relocator, stock brake/clutch levers and Postal's front grills all to be done gloss black.  $50 to do it all.  I'll have everything back tomorrow at lunchtime so I'm tearing the busa down tonight so I can PROMPTLY (unlike when I started making this) epoxy all the grills on, then epoxy the LED boards.  Also going to seal up the back of the LED boards with liquid electrical tape tonight so that'll be done too.   Depending on weather, I plan on having it all back together Wednesday evening and pics of the final product will definitely follow.  As well as some video too.
smile.gif
This is gonna be SICK! I can't wait to see it.

P.

beerchug.gif

Thanks to you Postal I didn't have to make my fronts grills! Those tail grills were a PITA to get just right for the opening and to fit the boards!!!! Your grills are now powdercoated black and mine are silver
smile.gif

I have it all back in my possession right now, I'll epoxy them on the fairings tonight and reinstall tomorrow! As long as I have good weather I'll definitely get some vids and pics and post ASAP!

Well.... I didn't think this through too well apparently.  I decided to do my front grills first and then do the rear ones.  I had barely enough epoxy to do my fronts with no left over for the tail.  No biggie I thought, go to Wal-Mart @ 10:30pm and get another tube.  Well....  Apparently NONE of our Wal-Marts are open 24/7 yet since Hurricane Rita came through almost a YEAR ago!  WTF? So I still have to do my tail and that was the one piece I DEFINITELY want to see... Been over 2 months since I first built the boards and I can't wait to see them in action! I should have done the tail first.
firedevil.gif

So quick question for Postal.  I got some 5 minute epoxy when I got the 2 hour stuff.  I used the 5 min epoxy to attach the grills where I wanted only by holding them in place and then came back with the 2hr stuff to make sure it all adhered good.  What's do you think of doing the same for the tail grills and LED boards? After the 2hr set time, I'd be able to get it all back together tonight at least (for pics), just not ride it until it 100% cures (8hrs).

(InfiniteReality @ Sep. 13 2006,13:20) So quick question for Postal.  I got some 5 minute epoxy when I got the 2 hour stuff.  I used the 5 min epoxy to attach the grills where I wanted only by holding them in place and then came back with the 2hr stuff to make sure it all adhered good.  What's do you think of doing the same for the tail grills and LED boards? After the 2hr set time, I'd be able to get it all back together tonight at least (for pics), just not ride it until it 100% cures (8hrs).
You should be fine!

P.

Well... Still playing with it and doing some work in between drying.
smile.gif
One side is 100% done, didn't even have to use epoxy to attach the board! I just re-used the black plastic piece that you remove when you install the grills. I trimed the sides of it so it'd be flat, taped the board in place and re-attached the cover! All nice and neat and protected from anything that could short it out.
smile.gif

The other side might pose more of a problem. The subframe has a piece of metal that bows out of the side. It seems to be no use, so I MAY cut it off for more room. It fits but its pretty close to it. If I left it, I can insulate the board from it use a rubber mud flap (yeah I actually have one laying around). It'd be a tight fit though. Or I can remove that bowed metal piece and remove the mounting spots for the tail light I have UFO undertail) and epoxy them to the inside tail. Once dried, I can attach it like I did the other side using the mudflap as the black plastic piece.

Any suggestions peeps? Attach using epoxy OR attach tail light mounts and attach in the same fashion as the other side? IF that extra bowed subframe piece is indeed in the way, then hack it off. Fixing to upload my pics to Photobucket so they'll be up in a few minutes. At least you can see one side!
smile.gif

Any negatives to this

smile.gif

smile.gif

Since I had a broken tail laying around, I stole the mounting tabs off it and epoxied them to my tail on the opposite side. Measured to locate them in the same spots on the opposite side and 5 min epoxy to get them where I wanted. Came back with some 2-ton epoxy to make sure they stay in place. Should be dry when I get home and I can attach the last board and mount on bike and wire them up!
smile.gif
Also got some connectors so all I gotta do is unplug it when I pull the tail off. I'll go to a dark place and take some video tomorrow night!
all_coholic.gif

Some daytime pics of them with the silver powdercoated grills.  Some pics they look more like bare aluminum, but in person they match the bike almost perfect!!
smile.gif
 I'm very happy with the way they came out! I really like the silver powder coating, no more black holes on the tail! They light up just as I hoped too, something different, unique and makes me more visible to the idiots on the road. I should have finished this 2 months ago when I first started it! lol
smile.gif

Also got some daytime video with my digital camera and will get some nighttime video tonight with the camcorder.
smile.gif
 A video will follow shortly!

IMGP2969.jpg

IMGP2981.jpg

IMGP2983.jpg

IMGP2985.jpg

IMGP2986.jpg

IMGP2990.jpg

IMGP2993.jpg

smile.gif

smile.gif

That is just one AWESOME mod!!
super.gif
super.gif
bowdown.gif

Are you going to make these in perhaps a limited production for your envious brothers on the .org???
rock.gif
smile.gif

super.gif

Here's a little video of it tonight...
smile.gif

<embed width="430" height="355" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://smg.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v375/InfiniteReality/Hayabusa/Videoz/84LEDBusaTailSignal-NightTime.flv"></embed>

The daytime footage I took. Just stuck it all there and added some music.
smile.gif

<embed width="430" height="355" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://smg.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v375/InfiniteReality/Hayabusa/Videoz/84LEDBusaTailSignal-DayTime.flv"></embed>

Back