Dumbest thing you've done on a bike

THIS IS A FUNNY THREAD FOR SURE IF EVERYBODY KEEPS TELLING THE TRUTH . :thumbsup:
I'm sure we've all done something inexplicably stupid at one time or another, just to make a Wednesday at work a little more entertaining, I thought we could share some.

Here's mine.

I bought my first street bike when I was 16. I took my dad when we went to look at it, it seemed fine, a little rashed- it had certainly been dropped before, but everything mechanical seemed to be working just fine. I pay the guy for it, fill out all the paper work, and head off down the road with my dad following me. We pulled over at a gas station, I filled the tank, and explained that I was going to go for a little ride to celebrate.

Fast forward about an hour and a half. I can see the thunder clouds beginning to pour a sheet of rain behind me, so I hop on the highway in a vain hope to beat the rain home. I'm screaming down the highway, maybe about 100, all of a sudden, the bike dies on me. I'm thinking "Oh ****, did I just blow the motor?" Hop off the bike, take off my helmet, I can't see any problem with the machine, other than the fact that it suddenly died, and refused to start again.

The rain eventually catches me, and I assure you it was a downpour, like one of the kinds of rain described in forest gump. I'm soaked to the bone, my friend is allegedly "on her way" to come get me in my old truck. I'm soaked, mad and trying to call the guy I bought the bike from, getting ready to cuss him out for selling me a piece of you can guess what.

Right as the guy picks up his phone, I look down, and notice that I somehow hit the kill switch with my thumb.

:laugh:

Hope you got as much of a laugh out of that one as my dad. :beerchug:

Bought my first motorcycle at 16 had my dad ride it home because I had never riden one before. It was a 78 yamaha I believe it was a 350 been so long hard to remember. My dad left for work I got on it rode around the front yard for about 5 mins and took off down the road. Man 40 mph on that day felt like 200. Lucky I didn't kill my damn self.

cant say where to start..but i know most of it started off by saying "watch this" or "imma try somethin"

it was around 1am, 6 of us were hettin on the highway from the overpass, I was the fourth bike, I looked in my mirror only to see flashin Red and blue lights, the 2 Guys behind me pulled over, none of us had done anything wrong that I kenw of but my license wasn't as valid as i would have liked. I looked forward again only to see 3 bikes takin off, monkey see monkey do, we go about 15 miles, get of the highway and pull into a service station, I need gas, my light came on before we got on the highway, so im fillin up when a nice police man pulls up and asks if we lost 2 of our riders. we all look at each not wanting to answer, the officer then tells us that 2 guys got pulled over a ways back and that 4 bikes, black/grey bike, Green with a passanger a black and a red one, ( us to a T of coarse) took off. My buddy then anounces that thats quite a coincedense that there are to groups with bikes like that hahaha The officer wasnt amused, but says he's not givin out tickets and that he just wants to know if it was us so he doesent have to sit on the highway all nite lookin for us. We fess up and are on our way hahaha stupid to run, stupid not to hide after we ran, but telling the truth worked out.

Back in my invincible days.....when I was a self proclaimed street racer......

I lined up next to a Buick Grand National on my 92 CBR 600 F2.

Before you start laughing.....let me finish.....

I pull up next to 2 guys in a Grand National in North Carolina.
I look at them and rev my 600 cc engine. Vroooom, Vrooooom
They nod and I know its on......
The light turns green.....
At this point everything becomes a bit hazy. I remember getting a fabulous holeshot on them that was immediately followed by a HUUUUUUGE 12OCLOCK wheelie. OMG>>>>I thought my life was about to end.....I about broke the rear brake pedal off trying to get the front tire down......Then was the fun part.....

The front wheel hit the ground so freakin' hard, I thought I instantly broke both wrists. I wasn't so lucky. I did however smash my balls on the tank harder than I ever imagined was possible. It took all the air from my body. I do remember for a second before I blacked out, the 2 guys driving pass me at about 15 mph ROTFL. I pulled off the side of the road.....and sat there for about an hour, literally. I was about to call a buddy for help when I realized how embarassed I was and decided to ride home......

I was sore for about a week. I actually had to ice them that night.

That ended my "racing career"

DD

:rofl::laugh::rofl::laugh::rofl: Friggin' hilarious! Well told! :thumbsup::beerchug:

For me, not wearing my helmet because I was "just bump starting my bike", a Yamaha Seca 550, and comin' righ back to the drive way, like I'd done so many times before. Without going into detail, a stick in the road during my u-turn partially washed the front wheel > I bump up the throttle > bike runs out from under me > I run with bike, trying to regain control > look up, see I'm running at parked car > unconsiosness > answer the nice paramedics > enjoy the overnight observational stay at the hospital as vision and speech return to skill set.

Lesson learned: If the engine is on, your helmet s/b too.

Be safe!

PS: I also, out of sheer boredom on my 1973 CB350 during a trip down 81 to the Shenandoah Valley, decided to stand up on the seat (hands still on the bars) and weave the lane hash marks. It's amazing how you don't really grasp the potential devastation of certain choices when you've just made it out of high school.

PSS: Again, be safe!

We don't have time.....:laugh: Seriously!
I think the funniest was when I traded bikes onetime (something we used to do to broaden horizons) & I ended up on a two stroke Bridgstone (or something like that) ~200. Well I proceded to wind through the gears (pavement) and when I went for "one more gear" my next shift was met with what I assumed to be a false neutral, so I quickly recogged the gear only to be met with FIRST GEAR, about 50 million rpm's and many G's pushing me in the direction of "over the handlebars". Well I saved it. Bridgstone had ROTARY transmission ...12345N1234... watch out for that! I tend to block out the painfull mistakes.... someday when I know you better :poke:

I wouldn't say it was dumb but it sure was a mistake! In the 70s I was lining up my 852cc Honda 4 cylinder for a run at the Sacramento Raceway and after my burnout I thought it would help (traction) even more if I lined up in the dragster's tire mark that had just made a run. Well I was right. Traction was there AMUNDO and I swear the bike stood sraight up for what seemed an eternity. There I was leaning forward as much as possible with my helmet touching the gas cap and the bike pointing straight to the stars. Meanwhile my competitor was railing towards the traps at the end. So, there I was, standing on the pegs hoping against hope that I wouldn't fall backwards. Well I didn't. After awhile the bike finally leaned forward and dropped down and I putted on down to get my timing slip and headed for the truck!

ordering a lot of stuff at once i bought only one pair of front brake pads and didnt notice what an idiot i was til i had the bike up on stands, plastics off, new pipe on with pair crap removed, and i was changing my brake lines and pads at the same time.
the dealer looked at me pretty crazy when i went up there to buy the other pair of front bads i needed
i could be here all day with stories

ordering a lot of stuff at once i bought only one pair of front brake pads and didnt notice what an idiot i was til i had the bike up on stands, plastics off, new pipe on with pair crap removed, and i was changing my brake lines and pads at the same time.
the dealer looked at me pretty crazy when i went up there to buy the other pair of front bads i needed

That's a good one. I've had it the other way around where a dealer will only HAVE 1 pair of pads or 3 spark plugs (for a 4 plug machine)

You would think they'd realize that they need enough for the WHOLE task. :laugh:

(haha, maybe they did and then you came in and bought that ONE pair :poke: THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING! ) kidding :lol:

That's happened more that you would believe!!

well I've had similar stories when I was 17 on my first street bike but the dumbest thing I did that had concequences was when I accidently put kerosene in my dirt bike :banghead:

Dumbest thing for me is parking the Busa without putting the kickstand down :banghead:

I had an FJ1200 and could not get the bike to start. My house is on a hill. So I decided to kick start the bike by rolling it down the driveway. Needless to say, the bike never started. I had to call my buddy who lives around the corner to help me get the bike back back up the hill. I new the battery was charged but attempted to jump it off anyways. I started tapping on the starter silenoid switch at she fired right up. The stupid part is I tried to push the bike up the hill by myself before I called my buddy. I can't remember but I think the bike weighed like 600 lbs or so. :poke:

I pulled into my in law's driveway a few years back and saw a snake. I wanted to see what king it was, so I coasted down the drive paying no attention to anythnig except the snake. As I stared down, I put my feet on what should have been concrete.

Guess what? My foot missed the drive because I was too close to the edge. The bike tipped and I fell. I got a close up and personal look at a small rattle snake while I was stuck under a heavy CBR900RR.

My brother in law, father in law, and wife laughed hysterically until the saw the snake. They were more worried about me getting bit than I was.

ok so one day I changed the sprockets out on the CBR 954...I took it for a spin to test the wheelie ness of it out and to my delight she came right up and rode them real nice, after going down my street a bit I signaled to make a left turn into a parking lot so I could turn around and go back the other way, some idiot in an s10 truck says something stupid to me so...road rage as I have I pull back out after him...he stops, I pull up to his left side and ask what he said all calmly, he repeated a 4 letter word, I knocked off his drivers side mirror with my hand and took off, he proceeded to try and catch me. I get to the end of the road and there is so much traffic that I cannot pull out, the truck is now headed right for me as if he is literally going to run me down. so I pull off to the side and go through someones lawn then when clear; I dart out onto the next road and sure enough it does another wheelie. I go down about 1/2 block and take a left turn while turning in front of and around another car that was already turning left(mind you the truck was after me) another 100 feet down that road and the bike is riding wheelies again ..I look back to see where the truck is and all I see is the Indiana State Police with his lights on....I got yelled at for 20 minutes, a warning for the lawn job, the 3 wheelies he saw me do, speeding, improper lane change Illegal turn, etc... but got no tickets..and I tell you the reason why was because the very day before that I rode in a benefit ride for a fallen police officer and he (Indiana State Police officer)was there and remembered me...lesson learned support your troops...lesson # 2 never knock the mirror off another vehicle...lesson # 3 -1 down and 2 up on a 954 not necessary at all...

2 months later the bike dumped me on my butt @ 40 mph doing a wheelie....lol
:moon:

Last edited:
Back