Dumbest thing you've done on a bike

Hectic

Registered
I'm sure we've all done something inexplicably stupid at one time or another, just to make a Wednesday at work a little more entertaining, I thought we could share some.

Here's mine.

I bought my first street bike when I was 16. I took my dad when we went to look at it, it seemed fine, a little rashed- it had certainly been dropped before, but everything mechanical seemed to be working just fine. I pay the guy for it, fill out all the paper work, and head off down the road with my dad following me. We pulled over at a gas station, I filled the tank, and explained that I was going to go for a little ride to celebrate.

Fast forward about an hour and a half. I can see the thunder clouds beginning to pour a sheet of rain behind me, so I hop on the highway in a vain hope to beat the rain home. I'm screaming down the highway, maybe about 100, all of a sudden, the bike dies on me. I'm thinking "Oh ****, did I just blow the motor?" Hop off the bike, take off my helmet, I can't see any problem with the machine, other than the fact that it suddenly died, and refused to start again.

The rain eventually catches me, and I assure you it was a downpour, like one of the kinds of rain described in forest gump. I'm soaked to the bone, my friend is allegedly "on her way" to come get me in my old truck. I'm soaked, mad and trying to call the guy I bought the bike from, getting ready to cuss him out for selling me a piece of you can guess what.

Right as the guy picks up his phone, I look down, and notice that I somehow hit the kill switch with my thumb.

:laugh:

Hope you got as much of a laugh out of that one as my dad. :beerchug:

Last edited:
took off from a intersection on the back wheel with out knowing a officer was behind me.. I was young ans stupid then, I look first now lol.

When I was about 16 I had a Honda CB350

I was at an intersection and decided to jump on it when the light turned green, Well the light turned, I popped the clutch, The bike stood up and left me sitting on my azz as the bike came down and crossed the intersection by itself. Needless to say I was more embarrased than anything. The bike crossed the intersectio and laid itself over in the grass, No real damage except for my Ego and my Butt.

A couple years back (end of 05 or beginning of 06) a TV show here in town (Veronica Mars) had a 'biker gang' as part of their plot line. HAHA the PCHers (for pacific coast highway)

ANYWAY

A friend of mine knew someone on the show, and a bunch of us got to use our bikes in the show (and get PAID)

The show ran late into the night this episode and we got to leave around 3 in the morning.

I was the only one going my direction, South on Ruffin road, then turned left to go down the hill on Aero Drive to the 15 freeway. If anyone knows the spot its a relatively steep downhill.

I had literally just put on new sinterred (sp?) brake pads before the show and they were a little grippy

So I'm riding down this COMPLETELY EMPTY 6 lane street with my right hand on the throttle and left hand resting on my left thigh, probably going 50-55 mph just coasting down the hill.

The light is green and I look to the right to make sure no one is running the red, look back and the light is yellow. I (this all happens in a split second) figure I'll just coast through it no big deal, then look to the left to see what car had tripped the sensor to change the lights.

It was a cop car (and now I'm not sure if I'll actually make this light before it turns red)

I apply the front brake and it BITES DOWN HARD!

Well, between the new pads and the steep hill, that's all it took to bring the bike up to balance point on a STOPPIE.

The light turns red, I've got my back tire up in the air 3 feet, I still only have one hand on the handle bars (look like I'm riding a bucking bronco at a rodeo)

By this point I've left go of the brake, but I'm so close to flipping over forward that momentum just keeps the stoppie going at least 100 feet through this intersection.

I have my head cocked to the left looking at the cop (my EYES must have been bigger than my head, but I have a blacked out visor and he can't see that)

FINALLY my bike decides to not throw me over the front and the back tire comes back to the pavement where it belongs and I coast another 100 feet before realizing I'm not on the ground.

I pull in the clutch, (SLOWLY) apply the brake, and look back at the cop... AND HE DOESN'T MOVE

That's all it takes for me, I get back on the gas and turn onto the immediate freeway entrance and head for home.

So A) Either the cop wasn't looking at all when this happened or
B) He was so impressed/shocked that he didn't even know how to respond

I like to think B :laugh:

There's more to that night about 5 miles up the road road but I think that's enough to absorb in one post.

Jeff....now thats a funny story. you are definately gonna have to tell that one in person......:rofl:

Jeff....now thats a funny story. you are definately gonna have to tell that one in person......:rofl:

Well hopefully before the Stampede too, if not, I'm sure there will be many-a-good-story there :thumbsup:

I ONLY ONLY wish the red light cameras that in at that intersection now, were there then. I would have GLADLY paid that ticket for photo evidence of my 'rodeo red light stoppie' :rofl:

Wheelying a late 70's Kawi 900 though 3 gears down a narrow residential street with cars parked on both sides has to be my dumbest move ever. I was 23 years old and that bike amazed me. My stupidity that day still amazes me, as I keep wondering what would have happened if a kid riding a bicycle or just running after a ball or something had come down one of the driveways.

Dumbest thing i ever done on my first bike, kawasaki zzr600 was hit the front brakes to hard at a stop sign. I went head over heels and hit the car in front of me.
The driver i hit took me to the hospital, scraps, cuts ,blood and bruises and i wasent wearing a helmet, nothing serious thou.
$2000 bucks out of pocket to get bike repaired.

Back in my invincible days.....when I was a self proclaimed street racer......

I lined up next to a Buick Grand National on my 92 CBR 600 F2.

Before you start laughing.....let me finish.....

I pull up next to 2 guys in a Grand National in North Carolina.
I look at them and rev my 600 cc engine. Vroooom, Vrooooom
They nod and I know its on......
The light turns green.....
At this point everything becomes a bit hazy. I remember getting a fabulous holeshot on them that was immediately followed by a HUUUUUUGE 12OCLOCK wheelie. OMG>>>>I thought my life was about to end.....I about broke the rear brake pedal off trying to get the front tire down......Then was the fun part.....

The front wheel hit the ground so freakin' hard, I thought I instantly broke both wrists. I wasn't so lucky. I did however smash my balls on the tank harder than I ever imagined was possible. It took all the air from my body. I do remember for a second before I blacked out, the 2 guys driving pass me at about 15 mph ROTFL. I pulled off the side of the road.....and sat there for about an hour, literally. I was about to call a buddy for help when I realized how embarassed I was and decided to ride home......

I was sore for about a week. I actually had to ice them that night.

That ended my "racing career"

DD

Last edited:
when i had my 00 zx12r, i had it resting on side kick and then i start up the bike and let it run on idle and decided to give it little throttle withought sitting on it and i was standing on the right side.... well i think you should figure out the rest!
the biked jumped to first gear and kickstand came off and bike fell on the ground.:banghead:
damage, clutch cover, clutch level, mirror, left fairing all scratched.
learned my lesson that day.:laugh:

Back in my invincible days.....when I was a self proclaimed street racer......

I lined up next to a Buick Grand National on my 92 CBR 600 F2.

Before you start laughing.....let me finish.....

I pull up next to 2 guys in a Grand National in North Carolina.
I look at them and rev my 600 cc engine. Vroooom, Vrooooom
They nod and I know its on......
The light turns green.....
At this point everything becomes a bit hazy. I remember getting a fabulous holeshot on them that was immediately followed by a HUUUUUUGE 12OCLOCK wheelie. OMG>>>>I thought my life was about to end.....I about broke the rear brake pedal off trying to get the front tire down......Then was the fun part.....

The front wheel hit the ground so freakin' hard, I thought I instantly broke both wrists. I wasn't so lucky. I did however smash my balls on the tank harder than I ever imagined was possible. It took all the air from my body. I do remember for a second before I blacked out, the 2 guys driving pass me at about 15 mph ROTFL. I pulled off the side of the road.....and sat there for about an hour, literally. I was about to call a buddy for help when I realized how embarassed I was and decided to ride home......

I was sore for about a week. I actually had to ice them that night.

That ended to "racing career"

DD

:rofl:Thats a good one

The front wheel hit the ground so freakin' hard, I thought I instantly broke both wrists. I wasn't so lucky. I did however smash my balls on the tank harder than I ever imagined was possible. I was sore for about a week. I actually had to ice them that night.

That ended to "racing career"

DD

OWWW, that made me cringe.

I've seen a couple guys at Race Legal at Qualcomm 12 o'clock it off the light tree, so you're not along in your racing experience :laugh:

Where do I start? Well I guess the frist bumb thing I did was on my first bike a Kawasaki 400, I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and rear ended my friends car. I ended up on his trunk.

The bumbest thing I did was get on my first Harley drunk. Kids don't try this. Anyway needless to say I ended up in the hospital. From what I was told (because to this day I don't remember) I ran off the road and hit gravel, the bike went down and my body hit a fence.

Thank God I have grown up and and no longer do stupid things like that. And I have learned from my mistakes........ So thats my story and I'm sticking to it.........

Back