Do you think its worthwhile to spend $500+ on a helmet?

This was my Shoei that I retired it looks brand new on the outside but the inside had deteriorated, I couldn’t get a decent pic of the inside though I have four helmets on the shelf that I need to get rid of lol

12CBEC5F-1FB7-4B16-BC82-468816624D3D.jpeg

5316CF6B-374D-49BF-88D1-15976890E11D.jpeg

I’m still looking. The Scorpion I tried was awful for eyeglasses. The HJC doesn’t have a fog proof shield like the Scorpion but the interior wasn’t very smooth/comfy and my glasses were still too hard to put on. Sent em both back.
Did you try the helmets on at a shop , or are you buying online ? I often buy online only and it can be hit or miss . I risk it mainly because the items I want are not always available in my city , or even in OZ for that matter .

Did you try the helmets on at a shop , or are you buying online ? I often buy online only and it can be hit or miss . I risk it mainly because the items I want are not always available in my city , or even in OZ for that matter .

I have before but I thought I was familiar enough with the two brands I’ve had before to try them. I’ll stop at a shop with an inventory next time I go to a big city and try some other brands.

I’m still looking. The Scorpion I tried was awful for eyeglasses. The HJC doesn’t have a fog proof shield like the Scorpion but the interior wasn’t very smooth/comfy and my glasses were still too hard to put on. Sent em both back.
I always ride with glasses on,albeit (cool word eh wuzza,are you proud of me for at least trying) they are sunglasses.
Best combo for me for years,Shoei RF series.
Rubb.

If you’re just puttin around town, nah.
but at 140+mph or extended highway rides you are REALLY going to appreciate the reduced wind drag on your head from the multiple shell sizes the more expensive helmets offer.
like the hjc, if you wear a large helmet, you’re buyin a 2xl helmet just with thicker pads inside. That means more weight. More wind drag on your neck and as those pads break in the helmet will get looser and looser and you’ll feel it shifting all over your head while riding.
i bought a hjc first and needed a 2xl because nothing else in my price range fit me. But a buddy talked me into trying on the arai and shoei helms... I was sold and got a shoei gt air2 on payments through sunbit and only needed a xl.

Something to consider...Are motorcycle helmets over engineered these days?
Talking with neurosurgeon type folks after my crash we sort of determined that helmets are too hard. We figured it this way.Car crash in an' older model car.Almost all of the force is transferred to one's body.Crash in a newer car with crumple zone technology,far less transfer of energy to the body.
When your head hits something that does not move one thing happens for sure. Your head,inside that helmet stops moving forward immediately.Your brain however,continues to move forward inside your skull.So my advice would be to choose a helmet based on your own personal choices with regard given to comfort,wind noise,visibility(seeing out as well as being seen),temperature inside the lid(hot/cold envioroments) etc etc. All of these choices however can not be made prior to purchase.Unless you have a helmet dealer who will let you test drive a potential purchase for a couple of days...you are pretty much screwed.
Rider A sits lower,less wind noise than rider B.
Rider C has an' egg shaped head,swears by Arai lids.
Rider D ....blah blah blah.
My advice...buy the one that looks the coolest. :super:
Next let's do a thread about which exhaust system sounds the best.We can all hold our cell phones up to the pipe.:laugh:
But then again,as pointed out by one of your fellow members..re me,
"your not the best source for information or guidance on living"
Rubb.

I buy Arai long ovals, Signet or Profile models as it's the only helmet that fits my pointy forehead.

I'd buy a $100.00 inexpensive lid cause I'm cheap, but after a half hour of riding the pain would convince me to shell out the coin just to stop the excruciating headache.

LOL

cheers
ken

Back