Some thoughts on helmets

Ouch!!! Jinkster! Luckily I don't hit those speeds. And now I have an excuse to get an X11 if I ever decide to;P

Boy oh boy you dodged a bullet there.

(JINKSTER @ May 19 2007,14:13) I used to love my Scorpion EXO 700...until about 140...where it lost a LOT of it's aeros'..and by 180?..muscles in my neck were popping out trying to hold my head on...and once while doing a high speed roll-on against a zx14?..i heard a loud crack noise occur in my scorpion...at somewhere's around 185-187'ish...i thought it was a road pebble that popped up and struck my helmet..but the next day?..my scorpions visor seemed a bit tilted...at the hingepoint...so i popped it back in place with my hand...2 seconds later?..it popped back out...and i was like wtf?
rock.gif

Upon closer inspection?..my scorpions visor was cracked through right at the slender portion of the hingepoint...and i felt the hairs on my neck stand up as i put 2 + 2 together...and realized that...that was no road pebble i heard at 187'ish...it was my scorpion visor giving up the ghost to wind pressure...which could've very easily made a ghost out of me...a week later i grew a brain cell and dropped $498 on a shoei X-11....cause imnsho?...if you're ever gonna play at sustained high speeds?..$199 lids just don't cut it.

I still think the scorpion is a hella lid for the bux...but my scorpion has been downgraded to a standard comute to work lid....cause i dang sure ain't taking my $500 X11 in a machine shop!
laugh.gif

Your lid is your primary cockpit...and if your head ain't comfy?...the rest of you won't be...fatigue will start sooner, rides will get shorter and the motorcycling experience in general will be downgraded...severly.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Well now if you were running a 13.5 why would a pebble be flying up
rock.gif

Exception : off your rear tire into his shield.

What kinda tuck you got going for that 187 run
rock.gif

By time I hit 180 I'm looking through the windscreen
laugh.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

laugh.gif

(dadofthree @ May 19 2007,08:21)
(JINKSTER @ May 19 2007,14:13) I used to love my Scorpion EXO 700...until about 140...where it lost a LOT of it's aeros'..and by 180?..muscles in my neck were popping out trying to hold my head on...and once while doing a high speed roll-on against a zx14?..i heard a loud crack noise occur in my scorpion...at somewhere's around 185-187'ish...i thought it was a road pebble that popped up and struck my helmet..but the next day?..my scorpions visor seemed a bit tilted...at the hingepoint...so i popped it back in place with my hand...2 seconds later?..it popped back out...and i was like wtf?
rock.gif

Upon closer inspection?..my scorpions visor was cracked through right at the slender portion of the hingepoint...and i felt the hairs on my neck stand up as i put 2 + 2 together...and realized that...that was no road pebble i heard at 187'ish...it was my scorpion visor giving up the ghost to wind pressure...which could've very easily made a ghost out of me...a week later i grew a brain cell and dropped $498 on a shoei X-11....cause imnsho?...if you're ever gonna play at sustained high speeds?..$199 lids just don't cut it.

I still think the scorpion is a hella lid for the bux...but my scorpion has been downgraded to a  standard comute to work lid....cause i dang sure ain't taking my $500 X11 in a machine shop!
laugh.gif

Your lid is your primary cockpit...and if your head ain't comfy?...the rest of you won't be...fatigue will start sooner, rides will get shorter and the motorcycling experience in general will be downgraded...severly.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Well now if you were running a 13.5 why would a pebble be flying up
rock.gif

Exception :  off your rear tire into his shield.

What kinda tuck you got going for that 187 run
rock.gif

laugh.gif
"Well now if you were running a 13.5 why would a pebble be flying up
rock.gif

Exception : off your rear tire into his shield."

2 possibles..

1. at that speed?...the zx14 had me by about 3-4 bike lengths but i figured it couldn't of been him...it seemed to be too severe of an angle even though we were using both lanes...so?...i went with...

2. A member here was running point for us so we could concentrate on his tail-light and our own individual efforts...he ran and sustained a lead about 1/8th-1/4 mile ahead of us..at those speeds i figured it possible for a pebble to get shot up off his rear tire and possibly buy enough hang time for impact on my helmet.

Neither thought was correct...it was my visor cracking.

"What kinda tuck you got going for that 187 run
rock.gif

laugh.gif
"

Back then?...I was running a dark smoke puig touring windscreen..my tuck was "Eyes Just Above The Windscreen" as...visibility through dark smoke is extremely poor..i've since switched to a clear puig dub-bub.

Is this interogation officially over yet occifer?
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

laugh.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

cool.gif

(dadofthree @ May 19 2007,09:52)
jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

I'm just getting started, waiting on doughnutz
then i take it you're not a detective cause if you're still waiting on doughnutz?...one might assume that an iwb holster is out of the question for you.
laugh.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

And there, my friends, is the difference between a premium helmet and a lower ( read chinese) copy of one. They might all be fine in the showroom, but the better ones still fell fine after a hard day or ten on the road.

no one on here even said anything about the suomy i have been through about every helmet by now trying to find one that fits i finally broke down and spent the bucks and got the suomy extreme and that is money well spent

Another for the Scorpion.

But,,,, I don't run as hard as Jinx. Maybe if I keep it under 170 I'll be fine?
laugh.gif

race.gif

Back