My helmet buying experience

markfes

Registered
So I decided to upgrade my current KBC helmet, mainly due to discomfort after an hour or so of riding. Mainly pressure on the forehead. I have to credit "WebBikeWorld.Com"for its wealth of info and reviews on all things bike related. But it was here I learned that helmet manufacturers have a typical "North American" Head shape they use for their helmets. Unfortunately None that I tried fit or felt comfortable. Than I learned Arai offered 3 distinct internal head shapes. So I tried on the different models and found that the new Vector series (formerly Astral-X) fit me PERFECT. The Vector is reffered as a Mid-oval. The Profile series/long-oval. Quantum 2/round or earth shape. Corsair somewhere between mid/long oval. So,
unlike I was taught, Helmets Dont have to feel uncomfortable to be effective. Thank God for companies like Arai who offer a near custom helmet selection...Cause not all heads are the same.
super.gif

Shoei's fit me good.
Put on a few Arai's at a bike show. Been so long I cant remember which Arai fit.

(markfes @ Mar. 01 2007,16:18) So I decided to upgrade my current KBC helmet, mainly due to discomfort after an hour or so of riding. Mainly pressure on the forehead. I have to credit "WebBikeWorld.Com"for its wealth of info and reviews on all things bike related. But it was here I learned that helmet manufacturers have a typical "North American" Head shape they use for their helmets. Unfortunately None that I tried fit or felt comfortable. Than I learned Arai offered 3 distinct internal head shapes. So I tried on the different models and found that the new Vector series (formerly Astral-X) fit me PERFECT. The Vector is reffered as a Mid-oval. The Profile series/long-oval. Quantum 2/round or earth shape. Corsair somewhere between mid/long oval. So,
unlike I was taught, Helmets Dont have to feel uncomfortable to be effective. Thank God for companies like Arai who offer a near custom helmet selection...Cause not all heads are the same.
super.gif
This is but one of many reasons Arai is all I will wear (helmets anyways) on the bike.

Arai seemes to have a smaller vision opening to me. I wear a Shoei or my Scorpion. Glad you found a helmet that you like and can wear for an extended amount of time.
smile.gif

I forgot to mention an important part of my experience from above. That is , where I bought the Vector.
It Turns out, one day while comparing prices, I came accross "HelmetShop.Com" which had the lowest prices I had seen. The next day I had logged on to order, and the price was a hundred bucks higher. I thought I was going nuts. So I called them, and it turns out
the low price Id seen IS their everyday low price, but during a sight upgrade were accidentially installed. For they are not alloowed to advertise their low price by the manufacture. So what is their low price you ask???
Vector Graphics-$373.80.....Solids-$300.00 No tax and free shipping.

I upgraded the wifes lid today. She tried on a bunch of different ones checking for the headshape thing. Her head fits a Shoei better than anything else. Same size as me also. We tried Arai's, Scorpions, Suomy's and the Carbon Fiber HJC. I really like the HJC fit and their anti-fog shield. But we ended up walking out with a new Shoei Eric Bostrom X-11. Retails for $660- my price was $490 OTD. She sufferes from buyers remorse terribly but by the time we rode home, she appreciated the X-11 oveer her old HJC.

Back