New Lid!

CrashTestDanny

Registered
I dropped a little more than 6 bills today on a new helmet, so I figured I'd tell you all about it.

As the title says, I got last year's RX7 Corsair with the Hayden Laguna paint. The right pod on my 3 year old Arai Astral busted and I don't think Arai will have the replacement to me before I leave on the long trip I'm taking next week, so I needed a new helmet. I love the fit of Arais - I've just never felt another helmet so comfortable since Bell left the biz. The only thing I don't care for with the Arais is those darned pods that bust so frequently and then disable your helmet when they bust... I'll just stop there...

Compared to the Astral, the Corsair feels much lighter (like half the weight). That was the first thing I noticed when I rode away in it; "Wow! This thing is light!" My neck has never felt better after a ride!

The second thing I noticed is that the Corsair has significantly better airflow through it than the Astral. With the Astral, my cheeks are always sweating behind my glasses - even 15 minutes before I bought the Corsair. With the Corsair, I can feel the breeze under my glasses and my cheeks cool down and stay dry. In fact, my whole head stayed drier and cooler than in the Astral.

Finally, we had a good stiff breeze today. In the Astral, that means head buffeting. Not so in the RX7 - wow! This helmet is really easy on the neck!

So why would I spend $620 on a helmet?
It fits. No other helmet that I've had the opportunite to try on is as comfortable as the Arai. I wish they were, but my head must be shaped just right... This is my first consideration is a helmet purchase. Sure, I'd love to have Shoei's visor system and be able to get the pinlock anti-fog system, but Shoeis are just not quite as comfortable for me as the Arai.

81_3560RX7HaydenLaguna.jpg

nice lid, and looks good, congrats!

i have a black rx7 corsair and fit was the deciding factor over the shoei x-11. i had an x-11 and the x-11 definately vents better, is easier to wash since you can wash the whole cheek and head pad with lining, unlike the corsair where you have to remove the lining off the foam cheekpads [puting the cheek sleeves back on the foam the first time was like a puzzle with the corsair].

the corsair is A LOT louder...A LOT. definately wear earplugs. here's a pic of two sets, they're both rated at "29 decibels" for noise reduction. the ones on the right are from home depot and for some reason block out a little too much noise even thought they are rated the same. the ones on the left allow just the right amout of traffic noise to come through, their website is www.macksearplugs.com

dont get me wrong it's a real nice lid, love mine.

enjoy

IMG_0598.JPG

I love my Arai. It was frustrated with the visor change system at first because I was afraid of breaking it, but now it takes me about 10 seconds to change the shield.
That's a sweet lookin helmet.

Back