Is the arai rx-7 corsair more round or oval?

BentValve

Alive & enjoying it!
Donating Member
Registered
Ive tried on all of the current Arai's except the RX-7 Corsair.

I have a Signet which is oval and an Astral which is an intermidate oval.
The Astral fit is best.

Frankly Arai's website description is a little sketchy ...I know the Astral is an intermediate oval but on the website it almost reads like its more round and the RX-7 reads like its an intermediate oval.

Honestly any Arai in M ive tried on fits me better than
most any other helmet so I doubt I can go wrong with any.
Ive looked into a Shoei RF-1000 but I dont like the fit ...Suomy is off the list too.

Help me out here. I am either getting another Astral or an RX-7 Corsair.

The RX-7 is only $50 more my cost so that is not an issue.

While I am at it, if anyone here has an RX-7 Corsair ..tell me about it and how you compare it to other Arai's you have had.

thanks

I love mine,nice fit,plenty of air,you'll need to wear ear plugs with this one.My RX-7 fits almost exacty like my X-11 and Spec 1R-Extreme.You'll like it.

DSCI0021.JPG

Thanks NJ,
cool.gif

I crossed Suomy off after a guy I know told me that he thinks Arais are
more comfy than his Suomy Extreme.

I can get a regular Spec 1R for a good price too....also the sizing is sketchy on these
and I cannot try one on. While I know Arai's in M fit me well.

Thanks NJ,
cool.gif

I can get a regular Spec 1R for a good price too....also the sizing is sketchy on these
The Suomys run a bit small,I have a Spec 1R & an Extreme,the fit requires a longer break in period,most people sell them before they get them broke in,I like em and the Suomy graphic are unrivaled.You cant go wrong with a RX-7 if you know it fits.

Hmm, yeah I can see that. I read alot of guys buying them in larger sizes but I would be really leary about doing that because Suomy lists their sizing the same as others.
I can deal with a tight fit...I cannot deal with a loose helmet.

If you had to choose just one would you get a Suomy Spec 1R or RX-7 Corsair?

Not sure how the Extreme differs from the regular Spec 1R though...

James you NEED to test fit a SUOMY....Arai is top notch, but the more lids
you try on the more likely that you'll find your best fit
wink.gif

Yeah I know I should but the fact is I cannot. I will lose nothing if I buy a Suomy to try out though. I can get a Spec 1R for $200 right now.

I can get the RX-7 Corsair for $250 ...frankly I wonder if its got too much venting though.
My safest buy is a basic Astral for $200 but its kinda boring , I wanted to try something new out.

Yeah I know I should but the fact is I cannot. I will lose nothing if I buy a Suomy to try out though. I can get a Spec 1R for $200 right now.

I can get the RX-7 Corsair for $250 ...frankly I wonder if its got too much venting though.
My safest buy is a basic Astral for $200 but its kinda boring , I wanted to try something new out.
The Spec 1R in a med is a very tight fit if you normally wear a med in shoei and arai.

I think I am a 7 which is on the smaller size of Medium, plus my head is an intermediate oval which is about the what Suomy is shaped like from all I have read.

I can get on an Arai small on but get some pressure points that wont work over the long haul.

Thanks NJ,  
cool.gif

and I cannot try one on.   While I know Arai's in M fit me well.
The Suomys run a bit small,I have a Spec 1R & an Extreme,the fit requires a longer break in period,most people sell them before they get them broke in,I like em and the Suomy graphic are unrivaled.You cant go wrong with a RX-7 if you know it fits.
very true
which reminds me I have a XXL anthracite Spec1R that I must sell-if anyones interested I'll let it go cheap $220TYD

sorry but I like the X11 better, especially the vents & visor removal
Haven't tried the RX7 or Extreme yet
thanks for the info NJ

Thanks NJ,
cool.gif

very true
which reminds me I have a XXL anthracite Spec1R that I must sell-if anyones interested I'll let it go cheap $220TYD

thanks for the info NJ
Out of the 3, the X-11 moves the moves the most air,very cool helmet,the inside of the Extreme is very well built,almost looks like a suspension sort of construction,moves alot of air as well,all 3 require the use ear plugs.The visor swap on the Arai and Suomy takes a little longer than the shoei.

Thanks NJ,  
cool.gif

and I cannot try one on.   While I know Arai's in M fit me well.
very true

thanks for the info NJ
Out of the 3, the X-11 moves the moves the most air,very cool helmet,the inside of the Extreme is very well built,almost looks like a suspension sort of construction,moves alot of air as well,all 3 require the use ear plugs.The visor swap on the Arai and Suomy takes a little longer than the shoei.
thanks
I like the fact the Extreme u can close the vents, compared to the Spec1R
BTW where did u try urs on?
Not many dealers in NC, that actually have models in store
I've gotta go into Lee's this week, hopefully he'll have a few
oh & not easy to find pumpkin head sizes either
biggrin.gif

Thanks NJ,
cool.gif

very true

thanks for the info NJ
thanks
I like the fact the Extreme u can close the vents, compared to the Spec1R
BTW where did u try urs on?
Not many dealers in NC, that actually have models in store
I've gotta go into Lee's this week, hopefully he'll have a few
oh & not easy to find pumpkin head sizes either
biggrin.gif
I didnt get to try them on,I know I wear meds across the board,I can buy a med and know its gonna fit.Prolly the most comfortable fit for me is the Spec1R-Extreme.very nice lid with superb cooling.

Thanks for the info guys.

I dont like the fact that I cannot close the vents on teh Spec 1R, the Extreme is probably gonna run me $100 more than the RX-7 Corsair.

I''l tell you , this Suomy has to be the most beautiful helmet on the market right now!
I wish I could find one for under $300!! , I simply cannot afford any more than that.
bf_1.JPG

This is the RX-7 Corsair that I would be getting...
8f_1.JPG

Ive tried on all of the current Arai's except the RX-7 Corsair.

I have a Signet which is oval and an Astral which is an intermidate oval.
The Astral fit is best.

Frankly Arai's website description is a little sketchy ...I know the Astral is an intermediate oval but on the website it almost reads like its more round and the RX-7 reads like its an intermediate oval.  

Honestly any Arai in M ive tried on fits me better than
most any other helmet so I doubt I can go wrong with any.
Ive looked into a Shoei RF-1000 but I dont like the fit ...Suomy is off the list too.  

Help me out here.   I am either getting another Astral or an RX-7 Corsair.

The RX-7 is only $50 more my cost so that is not an issue.

While I am at it, if anyone here has an RX-7 Corsair ..tell me about it and how you compare it to other Arai's you have had.

thanks
The Astral-X and Corsair are a similar fit.  My dad has the astral and I have the corsair both fit me well. Also for your last question its as good as my previous RX7-RR4.

<!--EDIT|TheDude27
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144013858 -->

With Arai's you gotta try on the latest generation of whatever your gonna buy. I have had a Signet S for years that fits me like a glove but the newer generation signet GT? din't fit me worth a damn. I was looking at the new Profile but it also fit poorly. I tried on a corsair and it is snug but It was love at first try! I wear ear plugs with any helmet but I dont think this is any noisier that any helmet I have ever tried. I have ridden it down to 26 degrees and the venting flat works! you can shut her down completely or open her up just a little when you want to. Relly looking forward to those hot summer rides to open em all up and see how that works. Oh and leave some change for a smoked visor and a fog shield in your budget!

I've had an R-900 and the next model down in the Shoei line, an Arai Quantum and just bought a Suomy Spec-1R Extreme. You do have to go up a size with Suomy - my dealer told me that is common with Italian gear. I have a roundish head and the helmet fits great with even pressure all around. You do have to wear plugs, though. Every test of a Suomy helmet includes that remark and it's due to the super ventilation system they have. All that air brings noise along with it and those shield pivot covers do their share of whistling, too.

The Extreme has more air ducts on the inside and outside of the helmet than the Spec-1R, supposedly a better lining material and Suomy's optional shield standard. Aside from the looks, it has a Rain-X-like substance embedded in the outside and a fog-free material on the inside. I tried fogging it and you flat cannot do it. That shield is almost a $100 option on a Spec-1R.

I like the helmet a lot and if you get one of their not-the-latest-and-greatest graphics designs, you can save some money. I paid $399 OTD for an Andrew Pitt replica because the design first came out in 2004. Normally, that helmet retails for $649 and my dealer sells them for $599.

Ed

Back