let talk helmets

(hydrabusa @ Mar. 16 2007,14:41) Jinkster, I've had a few like yourself...since Bell, Biffee, arai and shoei shark...etc.
I didn't like one so far...except RF1000, it is most quiet one that I can find, and how is X-11? I heard its nice but, due to the extra vent it makes alot of wind noise...in this case, I have one Shark RSR2...needed a extra vents for summer, but it feel like wearing a half helmet, every single noise will pick...I don't know where it is coming from  
crazy.gif
so let have lil more details about the X-11...
wink.gif
Well?...on my 10 scale (with 10 being dead quiet) I'd rate my old HJC's and the Scorpion as solid 8's...the arai quantum as a "7" and the X11 as a 5-6.

Upshot?..the X11 is noticably just a tad louder than others i've owned but not overwhelmingly so..matter of fact?...I never took notice of it being louder and would've never known that it is slightly louder until last biketoberfest...and i emptied a full tank in one sitting on I-95 south...something i don't normally do...and the last 1/2 hour or so of that run is when i noticed that the X11 is a tad louder than others i've owned..however...it's nothing i'd notice under my normal "ride for 45minutes-1hr between breaks/rest-stops" sorta riding and it's virtues far over-whelm it's slight decible deficiet as i experience far less wind related neck fatigue and while this lid might not be "The Lightest"?...but it damn sure feels light to me..real light..as it seems the fantastic aero's keep it feeling light at warp speed..if i knew i was going mongo miles, superslab ST'ing for days on end?...I might consider wearing some plugs but...other than that?...I never notice it's loudness under typical riding venues.

Sidenote: I thought my scorpion flowed some bigtime air...but it's nothing compared to the ventilation in my X11.

Hope that helps and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

hmmm...okay, so you give some credits for nice air flows inside and outside against the noise level...
and I know, Shoei is not the lightest helmet for fact...(anyway, I don't like if its too light)

Thanks a bunch...Jinkster, since your riding history is 5~6 years longer than me, I'll go for your words...
super.gif

what internal shape is the shark rsr2 ?

the x-11 is a great lid, i had one but the shape does'nt fit me. i'm more of a round/oval shaped head and the x-11 is too narrow in the jaw area even with the thinner cheekpads i can order.

i just picked up the arai rx7 corsair because it FITS, aside from fully washable interior, weight, summer venting. went with the economy [$] black.

IMG_0059.JPG

hydra, you're right the x-11 might not be the lightest but it feels lighter than what it is because of how the weight is distributed around the lid. it feels real light and vents great for summer from experience.

and another pic of my new arai corsair. the shell size nice too, not too big on the outside.

IMG_0058.JPG

the RSR2 is for the round oval... I think, when some says arai fits, then shark also fits good, but I wouldn't recomend shark for someone who likes to ride quiet..like me  
crazy.gif
and for the size wise? check on the pics below...I weigh 190, 5'11"(helmet is XL)

Me_and_my_busaIII__Small_.jpg

(hydrabusa @ Mar. 16 2007,15:31) hmmm...okay, so you give some credits for nice air flows inside and outside against the noise level...
and I know, Shoei is not the lightest helmet for fact...(anyway, I don't like if its too light)

Thanks a bunch...Jinkster, since your riding history is 5~6 years longer than me, I'll go for your words...
super.gif
well...keep in mind that i never would've noticed my X11's "hidden loudness" had i not done a 2 hour long 80-90mph run...where towards the last 30 minutes or so the drone of the wind had me thinking i should've worn earplugs....then again?...had i done that same run with my scorpion or my arai?...my neck would've been so worn out i'd of looked like a freaking bobble head! LOL!

Also keep in mind that any of the "race spec level lids" such as the Shoei X11, Arai RX7 Corsair, Suomy Spec1 and your Shark RSR were all designed to be light and flow lotsa air...not a good combination if "quiet" is at the top of your priority list.

and while the X11 may tip the scales registering a few ounces more than some others?....at speed it's like it's float'in through air...pretty amazing and like zero neck strain/fatigue.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

My Scorpion EXO is too tight in the jaw, so I'm lid shopping.
This thread will help.

Thanks!

hydra, thanks for the pic and info on the shark fitting similar to arai but which arai? they have different shell shapes for their different models.

the profile model is the narrowest in arai. if i'm correct the corsair is roundest...?

the outter shell on your shark helmet looks nice and tight, not like a bobble head.  
beerchug.gif

one thing i was looking for when shopping for my lid was how many shell sizes the manufacturer was making for the model.

and jinks man that shoei x-11 is sweet in the wind. no buffetting when i turned my head.

(Revolution @ Mar. 17 2007,05:44) what internal shape is the shark rsr2 ?

the x-11 is a great lid, i had one but the shape does'nt fit me. i'm more of a round/oval shaped head and the x-11 is too narrow in the jaw area even with the thinner cheekpads i can order.

i just picked up the arai rx7 corsair because it FITS, aside from fully washable interior, weight, summer venting. went with the economy [$] black.
My favorite helmet too. Wished mine was black.... Got a deal on the Panther RX7 Corsair when I bought the busa.... Fits great but wished it were gloss black.

I will recommend this.... Do not purchase a new helmet until you try them on and see how it fits. Because of this I own an XL Suomy Spec1-R Extreme Dragon thats a little too small for me.

Just a curiosity question for anyone who may know...

Years ago, I always wore a Simpson helmet, and I loved it. When I bought my 'busa, I wanted another one, but could not find one other than on-line. Not wanting to buy a helmet without trying it on, I opted for an HJC.

I now see the Simpson helmets seem to have just disappeared from the dealerships. Can anyone tell me why?

I am thinking I will be in the market for a new lid in another year, and figured I would get my questions answered now if possible.

Thanks for your help.

"and jinks man that shoei x-11 is sweet in the wind. no buffetting when i turned my head."

Ain't that nice?
biggrin.gif

I've never owned a lid that slips through the wind like my X11.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

whoooo the arai rx7 corsair is loud. definately wear earplugs with this one.

well, I wasn't counting on the race spec and sports touring model...
So, mostly,
1. fitting the shapes of the heads.
2. neck fatigues.
3. air flows.
4. the noise levels.
Those are the mostly concerned matters right? So, number 1 would be out of the question(cuz the head shapes...) so, in number 2...X-11 gets the most credits, right?
and number 3 also, X-11 isn't it? but, in number 4 which one gets it
rock.gif

i personally know the x-11 is waaayyyyy quieter than the rx7 corsair.

The Shoei rf1000 Picotte I just got (arriving Thurs) should surely be way better than the HJC I wore before. The HJC was very loud (not that I cared that much) and was sorta clunky and not very aerodynamic... so I'm looking forward to riding with the new Shoei this Sunday from Anniston, AL to Atlanta, GA. And the Shoei definitely gets more style points than any HJC!

I might not be the best rider on the road... but you better believe I'll look good! haha!

Well I guess I need to jump in the fray too. I have to tell you I've tried most of 'em at one time or another and I do love my Scorpion! Someone mentioned they weren't DOT approved yet but I've had mine for about a year and it does have a big DOT sticker on the back for what it's worth. Anyway, it not too loud (for me) and I get good ventilation too. Oh, it absolutely NEVER fogs! Just my 2cents.
cool.gif

Back