Helmet Review

sageronin

Donating Member
Registered
I picked up a Suomy Spec 1R the other day and finally got to test it out today. So here are my thoughts about three different helmets: Shoei RF1000, Arai Quantum II, and Suomy Spec 1R. The truth be told if I could combine the lightweight and the visibility of the Suomy; with the comfort and sturdiness of the Arai; with the quietness and easy maintenance of the Shoei ... I would have the perfect helmet. The Suomy is very light, vision is excellent, and ventilation is excellent. My only negative about it is noise. The Arai is my best all around helmet, no complaints about anything and I love the fit and comfort around my noggin'. The Shoei is the quieter of the three and my only complaint is comfort  especially now that I've tried the other two brands. Well that's it ... and here is the obligatory pic
smile.gif

helmets3.jpg

Must be nice to have 3 different helmets to suit your mood of the day. Too bad I don't have that luxuary, have to save a little bit for that 2006 bmw
sad.gif

Must be nice to have 3 different helmets to suit your mood of the day.  Too bad I don't have that luxuary, have to save a little bit for that 2006 bmw
sad.gif
I reckon that I am lucky ... but if I really "had it like that", I'd have that VSR Carbon from Vemar ... now that is my dream helmet for real ... maybe one of these days.

Thanks for the review. If you ever want to get rid of that Suomy let me know.

I've got the Arai, and it's pretty damn noisy. I think the main reason for this is the "air scoops" on the sides that the visor fits up in. I have a Shoei on order.
cool.gif

I've got the Arai, and it's pretty damn noisy.  I think the main reason for this is the "air scoops" on the sides that the visor fits up in.  I have a Shoei on order.  
cool.gif
I HAVE TO AGREE THE ARAI IS VERY NOISY BUT EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE. I REDUCED THE NOISE CONSIDERABLY W/ THE WINDJAMMER TO AVOID WIND COMING UNDER THE NECK AREA. IT HELPS!

Back