what helmet to buy?

ajm

Registered
I am kind of looking at helmets. There are alot of expensive ones out there but what are the good ones and why? Arai, Shoei, suomy (sp?), hjc, simpson, bell
Alot of different brands and styles which one?

ajm

This is light, cool looking, not too expensive, a little noisy. But I like mine

Carbon_Helmet_001__Small_.jpg

Insist on DOT certification.
Be willing to pay a bit more for SNELL.
Don't look at graphics until AFTER you find a helmet that fits.
Cheek pads will compress in short order, so don't worry if they are a bit too tight.
Wear the helmet for a minimum of 15 minutes in the shop before assuming it fits.
What I wear or what anyone else wears is not relevant to what fits your head.
Buy what fits.
Always wear ear plugs no matter what helmet you buy or how quiet you think it is.

I have an Arai RX7 and a Shoei RF1000.

i use the HJC Animus helmet. it is light and compfy.

i did however look into a rather new helmet made by scorpion. i got a demo at he bike show in cleveland and they seem really freakin sweet!!! the visors are anti-fog and are totally unbreakable. the guy giving the demo completely bent it back and it jsut popped right back into place. also, they have a quick change system. lots of good looking designs too. id def check them out!!! i may purchase pone here in the near future as soon as i get tired of my current helmet.

(FadeTwoBlack @ Feb. 11 2007,19:47) Insist on DOT certification.
Be willing to pay a bit more for SNELL.
Don't look at graphics until AFTER you find a helmet that fits.
Cheek pads will compress in short order, so don't worry if they are a bit too tight.
Wear the helmet for a minimum of 15 minutes in the shop before assuming it fits.
What I wear or what anyone else wears is not relevant to what fits your head.
Buy what fits.
Always wear ear plugs no matter what helmet you buy or how quiet you think it is.

I have an Arai RX7 and a Shoei RF1000.
+1
super.gif

i have had experences with hjc carbon fiber,arai, shoei, i dont think you can wrong with any of these. i would find a place that sells them and try on a few.

Suomy Spec1-R Extreme is a very light (I think it's the lightest) helmet. Large volumes of air pulls through this helmet. It is a little loud, however. Use earplugs...

i'm new to this here helmet game since coming from a turtle shell off a harley. this is what i've learned so far:

1. helmets WILL expand a little with wear, they will "break in".
1a) different manufacturers, and different models within have different outer
shell shapes for different shaped heads. you want a snug fit ALL around.

i am selling all 3 of my helmets because if this. i had a shoei X-11 [sold], a scorpio exo-700 [sold], and a nitro 800 [available, ad in classifieds section of org.].

2. check for features:
   2a) proper venting to cool you off in summer.
   2b) light weight.
   2c) aerodynamics of helmet.
   2e) wide screen opening for better vision.
   2f) screen that blocks suns rays so you dont get burnt while riding.
   2g) screen that shuts tight or locks shut.
   2h) screen with anti fog.
   2i) screen that stays open a fraction of an inch for extra cooling in summer.
   2j) fully removeable and washable interior.
   2k) different size cheek pads for custom fit.

3. legal and safety ratings, dot, and snell raitings, also good are ece [european
standards], acu gold [british?], and i believe there's another one....british?
bsi?

if i missed something chime in.

here's a website that has a lot of helmet reviews and info: www.webbikeworld.com

my personal fave is the shoei X-11.

(heavybusa @ Feb. 11 2007,22:11) Shoei RF1000
+1

BigGeorge has one for sale - sixe XXL - worn 2 or 3 times. Brand new condition. It's the one with the evil jester on the side. Not sure how much he wants but if interested send him a PM.

(ozzy04 @ Feb. 11 2007,19:58) i use the HJC Animus helmet.  it is light and compfy.  

i did however look into a rather new helmet made by scorpion.  i got a demo at he bike show in cleveland and they seem really freakin sweet!!!  the visors are anti-fog and are totally unbreakable.  the guy giving the demo completely bent it back and it jsut popped right back into place.  also, they have a quick change system.  lots of good looking designs too.  id def check them out!!!  i may purchase pone here in the near future as soon as i get tired of my current helmet.
That's what i got this summer. My first set of gear was a, Joe Rocket (Alter Ego) jacket, Icon "Hooligan" gloves, and a Scorpion Exo Octane helmet.

Great gear all of it!
super.gif

I've found that if possible, it's best to visit a large dealer and try them all on. There are so many fits, even within one name,Arai, for example, there are several different head shapes that they're made for. I found that Arai helmets have excellent venting but you give up a little quietness. The Shoei RF1000 is my personal favorite.

I have tried on a Suomi and most of the Arais models. While the Arais have some nice helmets, none, just feel quite right to me. I have owned Shoei helmets for years. Before I buy another, I’ll seriously consider a Suomi again. The one I tried was not the right size but I like the construction and reviews.

I currently have a Shoei X-11. Compared to the RF-1000, it is a bit lighter, the main liner is removable (easier to wash and clean), passes more air through it (cooler which also makes it noisier). The X-11 is one of the lightest on the market and (as of 2.5 years ago when I researched before buying mine), flowed the most air through it. The top of the line Suomi was neck and neck with it.

Any motorcycle legally sold in the United States is required to be DOT compliant. There is no testing required. Snell is voluntary and there is a BSI which may or may have already changed to an ECE standard as well.

Suomy meats the BSI standard but not the Snell. There is much controversy over the Snell standard allowing too much force to be transferred to the brain. The Snell standard was originally for Automobile Racing, some of that carries on into the Motorcycle standards. The argument is that Snell requires two impacts in the same place. The chance of that happening in a motorcycle accident is almost 0. There is a much higher chance of that happening in a race car while strapped in. To meat the 2nd impact standard, more energy is transferred to the brain in the first impact to allow it to meet the standard in the second impact. The BSI requires less g forces to be transferred to the brain.

Anyhow that said, any ODT helmet of decent quality will protect you in most cases. Fit, visor hold down retention, comfort, weight, cost should be considerations YOU have to make. Regardless, a helmet is not permanent part of your gear. If it suffers an impact, it needs to be tested by the manufacture or replaced. It is also a good idea to replace it every 2-4 years depending on how it is worn, stored, etc.

The biggest issue is FIT. If it doesn't fit right, don't buy it (even if it does have cool graphics).

From there, what features are important to you? You're in Indiana, and I don't know what the temperature is like there, but if you want something that flows well, it's tough to beat a Shoei or Suomy. I don't know about the Arai, but whenever I read reviews, Shoei is usually at the top of the ventilation list.

Removable head/cheek pads. It's very nice not having to deal with the dreaded "Helmet Funk". Being able to remove the pads is great because cleaning them when they're stuck in the helmet is a pain. I highly recommend this feature!

Removable shield. Before every ride, I take off my shield, and clean both sides. With a Shoei or a Scorpion, taking the shield of is trivial (no tools, and it's quick). I've heard that the Arai helmets are more of a pain, and I don't know how fast/easy the Suomy helmets are.

Graphics. If you're going to get a replica racer model, then you'll want quality. I think most would agree that Suomy and Shoei are probably the best in this category.

Aerodynamics. If you're on a fast bike, this is critical as you don't want your head wrenched off when you're looking back. The X-Eleven is fantastic in this regards, and most of the helmets in the upper budgets are going to be very neutral (no lifting at speed, etc.).

Weight. This combined with aerodynamics can make a helmet feel light or heavy.

Depending on your budget, Shoei's top of the line helment X-Eleven is a sweet helmet. Any helmet at 90+ is going to be noisy, and I highly recommend ear protection.

Good luck!

Back