Do you think its worthwhile to spend $500+ on a helmet?

umairhashmi

Registered
In 2006 when I bought my Hayabusa I think I paid over $500 for a Shoei which did save my life during a crash. However after looking at DOT studies and data I believe the protection that a $140 Bell provides isnt much different than a $1700 AGV Pista. Of course the more expensive ones look better, are lighter, keep your head cooler but do they really provide more than triple the protection that a $150 Dot approved Bell does?

Can't say what someone should pay for a helmet. But that's to much for me. I race so I need a helmet that is DOT and Snell approved. I have been using HJC helmets on the street and strip for years. When A car knocked me off my Busa the helmet I was wearing took a good shot and did it's job. For me these are fine. I usually pay between $125 and $150 for the model I use. And there are other brands in the same price range that are probably just as good. Not saying there are not better helmets out there. But in some cases I think you might be paying more just for the name.

#Helmets ~ #MotorcycleHelmets ~ #HelmetsGetSoExpensive ~ #THEoRg *

Last edited:
In 2006 when I bought my Hayabusa I think I paid over $500 for a Shoei which did save my life during a crash. However after looking at DOT studies and data I believe the protection that a $140 Bell provides isnt much different than a $1700 AGV Pista. Of course the more expensive ones look better, are lighter, keep your head cooler but do they really provide more than triple the protection that a $150 Dot approved Bell does?

DOT means basically nothing!
Look that it has a snell rating aswell and go with what fits best with your taste in terms of fitting and features.

I used to have a 150 dollar HJC which was snell and dot approved but it was uncomfortable, very loud and just not good overall. Now I own a 700 dollar HJC with only DOT but all the features and comfort I wanted.

Bottom line is- they make good helmets which are cheap AND safe. Everything on top of that is your personal taste.

I like having either a Snell or ECE rating as well, typically the higher price helmets are so due to their lighter weight, you can now find some decent lids for good prices that combine that rating with light weight to boot.

I’ve never paid $500 for a helmet, it’s about value for me. You can find higher priced helmets at lower prices and that’s typically what I do. My current AGV K5 listed at $449 and I paid $179 as a closeout. Just make sure to check manufacture date so you don’t get one that is too old already or one that will not have much life left in terms of how many years since it was manufactured

Always Snell or ECE. DOT I will never wear. It's a sub standard compared to Snell or the ECE mandates. With the power our bikes make more is better. Actually in the UK they have a few additional test more geared towards the kind of damage you would receive in urban environment with cars and sidewalks etc. These guys have a good summary of many helmets using that test data. Top 10 Safest Motorcycle Helmet Brands 2019 - Billys Crash Helmets

I think the $500 mark is the most I would ever spend on a lid. Anything above that to me is paying for either the name or added comforts. The AGV line up is stacked with helmets that are sub $500 and look great.

Well. Thats my point. Is it really offering 3 times more protection compared to a DOT approved $200 Bell helmet?
I have a bell qualifier deluxe like the one jinkster did his review on and it's DOT and ECE rated. Not bad fir the price and I like the visor tinting itself which is what sold me on it but it is loud, that being said my next helmet will probably be over 500 as I like the look and features of their upper shelf model.

Hi. And NO cheep helmets are not as good. Stilo helmets have the best standards in the world. They have the FIA 8860-2018 standard. They are also the lightest, but they are $5,000.00. So do not forget on a Busa you can crash at 175+MPH.

Holy...5800 dollar carbon helmet. Crazy...!

Holy...5800 dollar carbon helmet. Crazy...!
Hi Racers like Fi driver Valtteri Bottas for Mercedes and Tony Kanaan in Indy cars use them. But not me I have a Simpson carbon fiber Ghost Bandit. 2.9lbs.

Hi Racers like Fi driver Valtteri Bottas for Mercedes and Tony Kanaan in Indy cars use them. But not me I have a Simpson carbon fiber Ghost Bandit. 2.9lbs.
You are better off with a helmet designed for motorcycle riding than a car racing helmet for general street riding and track days etc. . The motorcycle version generally offer much better side viewing range without having to turn your head , even if heavier .

You are better off with a helmet designed for motorcycle riding than a car racing helmet for general street riding and track days etc. . The motorcycle version generally offer much better side viewing range without having to turn your head , even if heavier .
Hi It will be my race helmet only. And I went with the Simpson Motorcycle CF ghost bandit. It is not my style but at 2.9 lbs for $649.95 I did get a better deal. The Stilo at 2.49lbs at $5,495.00. They said for all types of racing. On open wheel racing you need very good side sight.

Back